The term NuGnR

fantomas

Is anyone else irritated with the term NuGnR? Tommy has been in the band longer than Duff, Frank has been the longest drummer and Richard the longest rhythm guitarist. I think the band has put in enough hours to be considered Guns N' Roses without additional or derogatory labels. The original Gn'R lineup went 12 years and it has been 12 years since the re-emergence. I think labels like NuGn'R just hold the band back. I personally liked Chinese Democracy and it has far less filler than UYI 1 and 2. Oh and for the record, I'm thirty eight and have been a fan since 87, so not a bandwagoner. I've been there at the peak, the decade of silence and the build up over the last 12 years.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK here's why:

- one album released in approximately 14 years of this band's existence

- a revolving door of musicians including two rhythm guitarists, four lead guitarists, three drummers not to mention two superfluous members for keyboards

- no new or unreleased material to care about

- the album they released is insignificant in the band's legacy, people come to all the gigs to hear the music that Slash and co made with Axl

- see anyone wearing a GN'R t shirt? $100 bet its the classic logo or an AFD top. No one has new band t shirts or wants them unless they go to a gig.

For all intents and purposes, it's still a new incarnation of Guns N' Roses (and an even newer once since 2001) so the label makes things a little easier. We've got old Guns and we've got new Guns. We had a different set of new Guns a few years ago and now we've got current Guns.

I look at it pretty simple. Guns N Roses to me is anyone who was a member from AFD thru UYI. NUGuns is everything after. I know it's vague, but that's wher I draw the line.

Agree.

IMO real Gn'R died after ALL the original lineup members, bar Axl, left the band... What came after was/is Axl's band that he opted to maintain the original band name. Axl's new version of the band could switch all the hired musicians a thousand times, it wouldn't really make a difference because Axl's the only relevant (original) member. And NuGnR sounds fine to me...

Edited by trqster

I look at it pretty simple. Guns N Roses to me is anyone who was a member from AFD thru UYI. NUGuns is everything after. I know it's vague, but that's wher I draw the line.

Agree.

IMO real Gn'R died after ALL the original lineup members, bar Axl, left the band... What came after was/is Axl's band that he opted to maintain the original band name.

So GN'R died when Izzy left the band?

Agree.

IMO real Gn'R died after ALL the original lineup members, bar Axl, left the band... What came after was/is Axl's band that he opted to maintain the original band name.

It certainly didn't help the 'cause'...but as I said before imo Gn'R died when ALL the original founding members (except for Axl) left the band.

Agree.

It certainly didn't help the 'cause'...but as I said before imo Gn'R died when ALL the original founding members (except for Axl) left the band.

Izzy was the last original member to leave the band, when he left, only Axl remained as an original band member. I think you are thinking about the "other original" lineup or what some refer to as the "first nuGuns" or, personally, "the AFD lineup" :)

I know exactly what I said...Original Gn'R to me and (99% of people out there) is the AFD lineup that produced the best debut rock album ever. UYI touring was still an acceptable lineup with Duff, Slash & Axl aboard, since they're 3 of the original 5 and both Axl and Slash were pretty obviously the 'duo' that most people associate with the band Gn'R. That and also the fact that Slash & Duff were actual band members having a say on what was going on with the band...one mustn't forget that little detail... After that it was just Axl's band still named Gn'R, or NuGn'R. :)

Edited by trqster

I know exactly what I said...Original Gn'R to me and (99% of people out there) is the AFD lineup that produced the best debut rock album ever. UYI touring was still an acceptable lineup with Duff, Slash & Axl aboard, since they're 3 of the original 5 and both Axl and Slash were pretty obviously the 'duo' that most people associate with the band Gn'R. That and also the fact that Slash & Duff were actual band members having a say on what was going on with the band...one mustn't forget that little detail... After that it was just Axl's band still named Gn'R, or NuGn'R. :)

this!

Agree.

Pretty much as that was the last decent new material we saw written with any variation of that lineup. :shrugs:

Nu GNR is what it is. Yes, legally, it's "Guns N' Roses". But to completely ignore general consensus is also asinine. And to the overwhelming majority of the overall population, nu GNR is nothing more than a parody of the real thing. Which is the group of musicians who created Appetite, Lies, and The UYIs, and the members who got inducted into the rnrhof. Nothing else and nobody else ever mattered after that.

The only real, significant success the nu guys have had is riding on the coattails of the real deal. Not anything based on their actual output, which again, most of the general population just shrugged off. That's why most don't look at the nu guys like they've earned their stripes.

To this day, you can go out and about, and ask any random person, word for word, "Who is the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses?" and at least 95% of the responses will be "Slash". That says it all, really.

Edited by Bobbo

To this day, you can go out and about, and ask any random person, word for word, "Who is the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses?" and at least 95% of the responses will be "Slash". That says it all, really.

You've tested this, have you? How was that for you? Is your conclusion based only on those people that knew what Guns N' Roses was? Did you exclude the people that looked at you like the worlds biggest loser and walked away? How big was your testing area and how many total people were interviewed?

I'll try to recreate your results.

I dislike the new gnr label. I suppose the way to get rid of said label is by releasing multiple albums with the same lineup.

That said, its pretty fucked up that theres been a different lineup on all the major studio releases. When you look back further GnR has been a revolving door going back to Hollywood Rose/LA Guns.

Glad to see we're back to dick swinging about what the original lineup of Guns N' Roses was. The "nuGNR" label was something that only attained negative connotation here. Bumbelfoot and Axl have both said they see the "classic" Guns N' Roses and the new lineup as two different entities working towards a similar goal. I believed Bumbelfoot summed it up as the 1987-1993 period was Guns N' Roses and the 2001-present is GN'R.