What famous guitar player would fit in GnR and play lead, nailing every solo?

TombRaider

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Any number of em can and do and have done. I suppose it depends on your definition of nailing a solo, of you mean note perfect like on the album then probably no one could make it sound EXACTLY like that and reproduce it night after night, even Slash didn't do that, musics an organic ever-changing thing, no guitar player really plays the same shit night after night after night, in terms of having the talent to pull it off and like...play those pieces, shit, there's probably people on this forum that can do that, depends what you mean really.

Good point, sugaraylen. When I said nailing a solo, I not only mean hitting (almost) the exact notes, but also giving your solo the necessary feel resembling the original as much as possible, while giving it your own personal touch... if that makes sense. I´ll give you an example:

And Friedman is Friedman and Adrian Smith is Adrian Smith, etc etc etc. But band members are fired or they quit or they die and have to be replaced. So... yeah. Who could play the solos and do them justice? And I don't even wanna get into a whole the current band does them justice or not debate. This is just intended to be a hypothetical question.

No disrespect to the current band. That's not where I'm coming from. Honest to God. But maybe Zakk Wylde?

nobody. DJ Ashba already does this

Dj Ashaba is a clown. Not now not ever is Dj ever gonna achieve anything more or anything less than being a guitar player playing someone elses material in GNR. Hes good at what he does..its adequate for the role hes emmulating and that is playing some of Slashes material. In time, like BH and Fink- the realization will hit him that hes a tour guitarist in a cover band and that folks is as good as it will get for him in GNR.

No disrespect to the current band. That's not where I'm coming from. Honest to God. But maybe Zakk Wylde?

Dj Ashaba is a clown. Not now not ever is Dj ever gonna achieve anything more or anything less than being a guitar player playing someone elses material in GNR. Hes good at what he does..its adequate for the role hes emmulating and that is playing some of Slashes material. In time, like BH and Fink- the realization will hit him that hes a tour guitarist in a cover band and that folks is as good as it will get for him in GNR.

DJ Ashba is more than a touring guitarist in GNR. and hopefully you'll see DJ is more on the next Guns record release.

DJ Ashba is more than a touring guitarist in GNR. and hopefully you'll see DJ is more on the next Guns record release.

Definately.

Ashba will be all over the next albums.

I stated in 2009 when he joined the band he is the future of GNR.

All jokes aside, I think if Dj is given the chance to do a few original solos on the next record then some folks might come around to him.

I think his image is what turns people off, as he's like a walking cliche. In terms of his actual ability on his instrument, granted he's no virtuoso, but he's really no different than Robin Finck.

Now that you bring that up, I think it'd have been as difficult to me to accept a GnR lineup without Axl as it was difficult for me to accept this lineup as GnR. While I do like Slash's solo stuff with Myles, I think he does no justice to Axl's material. His voice is good, but when I listen to the live version of SCOM or Civil War, I can't help shuddering.

There are tons of guys that in a perfect world would make you say slash who?

1. Jimmy page

2. Edward van halen

3. Jimi hendrix

4. Stevie ray vaughn

5. Randy rhoades

6. David gilmour

Just to name a few. I know some of these guys are dead, and others are semiretired, but in there primes they all piss all over slash. I would take all of these guys in a heartbeat over the top hatted one.

You know, I feel it's not just a matter of who's a better technical musician, but it's also a matter of who fits where. Dave Murray of Iron Maiden is a guitar hero in my book, but I don't think he'd fit in Dream Theater or in Metallica. Different styles. I don't know. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if Eddie Van Halen and Satriani are way better than Slash, I wonder if they'd have created the right solos for GnR during the AFD days and the UYI era.

Hate Slash all you want, but it was his style, combined with the musicianship of all those involved in the band, what helped make GnR what it was back in those days. IMO.