Kanye West Thread

Deepest Shame

• 2 weeks later...

https://soundcloud.com/cshh/40-mill/s-0uLPA

Tyga - 40 mill (Prod. by Kanye)

Not really into Tyga but it might give an idea about where he's at creatively. The songs he did for Pusha T around the time he made Yeezus sorta ended up sounding like Yeezus so maybe that can apply here too. The production style here is more contemporary than anything on Yeezus.

Edited by Jakey Styley

• 3 months later...

The good thing about Yeezus was that even though it was minimalist, it sounded like a new direction. And you had stone cold classics like Black Skinhead, New Slaves, and Blood On The Leaves that were incredible, not to mention the rest of the album. Can't tell from this one song whether its gonna be more of the same, or a retreat back towards 808s kind of feel. Personally didn't love the song that much, but its better to make a judgement when the whole album comes out. I agree though, I'm hoping the material is unlike this song where there's a beat drop somewhere and there's more rapping.

I don't need another MBDTF (he has long stated that was more of an album to show he could give the people what they wanted), but another style change in the vein of Yeezus would be amazing. Not to mention another album like Graduation would be mind blowing. I've said for a long time he's setting himself up for a disappointing release at some point. I thought it would be Yeezus after MBDTF and the Jay Z album, but clearly I was wrong. I'm hoping this isn't that point.

The good thing about Yeezus was that even though it was minimalist, it sounded like a new direction. And you had stone cold classics like Black Skinhead, New Slaves, and Blood On The Leaves that were incredible, not to mention the rest of the album. Can't tell from this one song whether its gonna be more of the same, or a retreat back towards 808s kind of feel. Personally didn't love the song that much, but its better to make a judgement when the whole album comes out. I agree though, I'm hoping the material is unlike this song where there's a beat drop somewhere and there's more rapping.

I don't need another MBDTF (he has long stated that was more of an album to show he could give the people what they wanted), but another style change in the vein of Yeezus would be amazing. Not to mention another album like Graduation would be mind blowing. I've said for a long time he's setting himself up for a disappointing release at some point. I thought it would be Yeezus after MBDTF and the Jay Z album, but clearly I was wrong.

That's something I've always appreciated about Ye, the fact that he wasn't afraid to try something new. The only problem with that is he's 0-2 so far in terms of releasing an album-worth of material that compares to the rest of his discography when attempting a new direction. 808's had 3 songs that I'd actually listen to today, while Yeezus also has about 3 (Black Skinhead, New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves being GOAT, the rest is trash). Yeezus might actually be the most overrated album of this decade so far, in my opinion. Both of these albums feel like incomplete sketches, rather than complete works like his other albums are. I liked Cruel Summer and Watch The Throne, for the record.

Unfortunately this material sounds like 808's rejects so far. So maybe this'll be the disappointing release you're talking about, yet I would bet the critics will eat this shit up anyway. I don't think he'll ever top his first 3 albums + MBDTF, though I haven't given up hope. I just don't think this is the direction to take for artistic growth.

• Like 2

This might be Ye's singer/songwriter album, if his collaborations with McCartney are any indication. Something like 808s but with a more warm, lush feel to it, as opposed to that album's coldness and computerized feel. At least, that's what I'd want to see based off Only One, Four Five Seconds, and that intro track.

Kanye stole the show tonite on the SNL special, as expected.

With a lost voice from a crazy weekend, a lot of people thought it was a bad performance. The autotune singing was so dry because he couldn't put much tone into his own voice without it cracking. As a Kanye super fan it was neat to see but I feel like others, in their love of criticizing him, might not've liked it.

Love Kanye, but I thought he was shit on SNL. First of all, it was a bad performance. Sorry, and I don't know whether its him or the show's he gets booked on, but I don't ever have to hear Jesus Walks on a TV performance again. IMO its his least interesting "hit". And the set was just very poor. Jesus Walks probably because it was asked of him, and then followed up by Only One and Wolves. Maybe I'm alone on this, but Only One is not a great song (I know someone that keeps listening to it and says that like it more and more and I'm convinced they are brainwashing themselves to like it more because Kanye keeps shoving it down our throats). Its a fine little song for his daughter, but its nothing great, and he's played it enough since it dropped on New Years. And Wolves isn't enough of a song yet to warrant its inclusion.

Second, it was the absolute wrong place for that. I'm also a huge SNL fan, and the night was about that and not Kanye. One of the few times I think his ego got in the way. At a VMA or performance show? Of course, Kanye you do whatever you want and he usually excels, including his SNL appearances. But at this event that was honoring 40 years of this TV show? Nah, he was wasted time, and my friend tried to convince me that if this was a normal SNL appearance it would have been great. I don't agree with that either, for the setlist flow I mentioned above and for the fact that 3, he sounded terrible.

I'm not actually that mad at him for it, since all the musical performances sucked on the SNL thing. But his was by far the most random and wasting of time, and very much because (even if he was asked to perform) he insisted on that setlist which didn't fit the event and was simply a way for him to hock his new material.