Kanye West Thread

Deepest Shame

^In context of the concert it was fucking cool. I love when he does this after a song, it's like the Storyteller performances. This was a cool show, kanyes sick and his voice is raspy the whole time, cracking jokes about his drinking tea on stage.

So, about that BBMA performance...what the fuck is wrong with ABC? They just kept holding the censor button on random parts.

• 1 month later...

The backlash or whatever you wanna call it over Kanye's Bohemian Rhapsody snippet at Glastonbury is fucking stupid. It last like 2 minutes. He wasn't trying to recreate the song and yeah, he can't sang. Neither can Neil Young and Bob Dylan. He wasn't trying to sing to impress. It's was just something different that didn't go over the best, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

I enjoyed this comment from Reddit about the Kanye vs Freddie video.

This is actually a really sweet and touching video if you stop watching it around :35. It's like Freddie Mercury is in skeptical disbelief that one of today's most prominent musicians would pay tribute to him, and that disbelief turns into tickled flattery as the crowd joins in singing one of his songs so long after he's been gone.

So many of yall are missing the very point of music. It's not some pissing contest where musicians are trying to shit all over their counterparts and tear each other down. At the end of the day, musicians, regardless of genre or time period, are trying to connect their art with people and connect people with each other. Whether we're talking about Queen or Kanye, Beethoven or Carly Rae Jepsen, that's the point of music, to reach past the ugly divisiveness of the world and unite in some kind of human beauty.

Kanye isn't taking a great song for his own personal glory. He knows he can't even almost sing like Freddie Mercury. But he's pushing his own personal glory aside and risking criticism like the stuff in this thread in order to say, I have a huge amount of respect for this man who has brought me a huge amount of enjoyment. Let me share that with you. In hip-hop the saying goes, "Real recognize real," and in rock the saying goes, "You gotta pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues."

This tribute is especially meaningful because like Kanye, Freddie's critics said he was too flashy, too full of himself. Rather than writing off another great because they're not what we want them to be or what we're used to, let's appreciate them the way they appreciate each other.

• Like 1

The backlash or whatever you wanna call it over Kanye's Bohemian Rhapsody snippet at Glastonbury is fucking stupid. It last like 2 minutes. He wasn't trying to recreate the song and yeah, he can't sang. Neither can Neil Young and Bob Dylan. He wasn't trying to sing to impress. It's was just something different that didn't go over the best, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

What's the backlash been like? I don't have teenagers around to keep me informed and relevant anymore.

What's the backlash been like? I don't have teenagers around to keep me informed and relevant anymore.

It's not even teenagers, it's the soccer-moms-who-use-the-internet crowd who think it's stylish to hate Kanye.

Basically some radio station mashed together Kanye's Bohemian Rhapsody snippet with clips of Freddie Mercury laughing. Internet idiots who aren't able to understand the concept of analyzing things within their context laughed at Kanye's lack of vocal talent as if Kanye was trying to show off how well he could sing.

It's not even teenagers, it's the soccer-moms-who-use-the-internet crowd who think it's stylish to hate Kanye.

Basically some radio station mashed together Kanye's Bohemian Rhapsody snippet with clips of Freddie Mercury laughing. Internet idiots who aren't able to understand the concept of analyzing things within their context laughed at Kanye's lack of vocal talent as if Kanye was trying to show off how well he could sing.

If you can't sing, then don't sing

stick it with auto tune

that's all this waste of space "artist" can capable of pulling off, besides self marketing

oh and btw Neil Young and Bob Dylan were great songwriters but i can't stand their shitty voice, the are great songwriters and not great singers, i don't believe anybody in the world really like them because of their voices

As much of a fan of Roger and Rufus Taylor I am, it was embarrassing to see Rufus' reaction to Kanye's performance.

F5ixB2N.png

why are you dissapointed?

what he wrote is the best summary about Kanye West ever

Every word is right

I always have to laugh when people call kanye "talentless".

why Kanye is so special?

Why are you call him talented?

on what aspect?

Nobody from the Kanye fanbase can point this out, i always got personal insults instead of evidences for his talent

Edited by Strange Broue

Um, his music? Rapping/vocals aside, he's one of the best producers of this generation. If you don't like him or his music, ok, but don't slag off his talents just because you think he's an asshole.

You talk about personal insults, but what do you expect when you already start bashing the artist and calling him things like a "waste of space". :lol:

People don't like kanye for his singing either so don't judge him on it. :shrugs:

Um, his music? Rapping/vocals aside, he's one of the best producers of this generation. If you don't like him or his music, ok, but don't slag off his talents just because you think he's an asshole.

Can you give me some specific examples of his great rapping/vacals or even his producer abilites?

I'M not slaggin off his talents, because he is an asshole

I mean, Graduation, Late Registration, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and College Drop Out are four of the most critically acclaimed rap albums in the past 15 years.

He also kinda produced The Blueprint. I hear people tend to think that album is pretty good too.

Also

"West is one of the best-selling artists of all time, having sold more than 21 million albums and 100 million digital downloads.[1] He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards, making him one of the most awarded artists of all-time and the most Grammy-awarded artist of his age.[2] Time named West one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2005, 2011 and 2015. He has also been included in a number of Forbes annual lists.[3] Three of his albums rank on Rolling Stone's 2012 "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list; two of his albums feature at #8 and #1 in Pitchfork Media's The 100 Best Albums of 20102014.[4]"

Edited by Dan H.

so the media and the critics hyped him and that's all

yup, enough said

(I don't like him but everyone else in the world who gets paid to listen to and measure the merit of music does. I'm going to continue thinking he's talentless for literally no reason)

Man why even ask for some justification for his talent if you're gonna be cynical and dismissive anyways, to me a band can luck out on critical acclaim, album sales, or awards, and MAYBE not be deserving of that aspect. But I don't see a lot of artists who have ALL THREE and still can be written off as talentless.

But hey man, you wanna be a closed minded dipshit because a black man sang a little bit of your daddy's favorite song at a festival? Be my guest.

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

yup, enough said

(I don't like him but everyone else in the world who gets paid to listen to and measure the merit of music does. I'm going to continue thinking he's talentless for literally no reason)

Man why even ask for some justification for his talent if you're gonna be cynical and dismissive anyways

No shit. What more examples and justification do you want? More was posted than just a media excerpt as well, but I'm sure you didn't go and listen to anything off of those albums.

You're either going to like it or you're not, but at least get your shit straight before you try to talk shit.

yup, enough said

Man why even ask for some justification for his talent if you're gonna be cynical and dismissive anyways, to me a band can luck out on critical acclaim, album sales, or awards, and MAYBE not be deserving of that aspect. But I don't see a lot of artists who have ALL THREE and still can be written off as talentless.

But hey man, you wanna be a closed minded dipshit because a black man sang a little bit of your daddy's favorite song at a festival? Be my guest.

don't respond to crash diet, he exists to have shit opinions