A realization that bothers me

bacardimayne

So I'm watching this video of If the World live in 2010 that pi2loc posted and I was thinking, "damn, I sure wish they'd bring that song back". But then I realized, I don't. Because it'd be awful. I don't even want them to bring back/debut any of the songs I love because I know he'd do such a shit job singing them. As a "fan" of Guns N' Roses, this bothers me because it shows just how far they've fallen in just a few years. Two years ago I'd have been salivating at the idea of them bringing back Locomotive, but if the prospect of them playing it today was brought up, I'd shudder to think of how bad it'd be.

tl;dr I don't even want them to bring back cool songs anymore because Axl would do a shit job on them.

Edited by bacardimayne

Yes.

So you loved ITW in 2010 but would hate it today? With the only difference being generally slightly weaker vocals from Axl which you don't even know would affect that particular song and this not being offset by the band having gelled more? Okay.

Yes.

So you loved ITW in 2010 but would hate it today? With the only difference being generally slightly weaker vocals from Axl which you don't even know would affect that particular song and this not being offset by the band having gelled more? Okay.

Slightly? He sounds fucking ferocious in that Peru clip. He sounded fucking ferocious when I saw them in '10. Today he's all falsetto, sounds weak as hell. Like he's not trying. That's not slightly.

As for the band having "gelled", I think a song like ITW actually benefits from a more loose jam-like performance.

Yes.

Slightly? He sounds fucking ferocious in that Peru clip. He sounded fucking ferocious when I saw them in '10. Today he's all falsetto, sounds weak as hell. Like he's not trying. That's not slightly.

As for the band having "gelled", I think a song like ITW actually benefits from a more loose jam-like performance.

I think you are over-exaggerating the difference in vocals from 2010 to the most recent gigs. He isn't "all falsetto" (besides, falsetto actually suits ITW)) and he doesn't sound "weak as hell" on many of the recent youtube videos that have surfaced. But oh well, we'll probably (and hopefully, I don't like the song) never get the answer to how he would have sung on ITW today.

I'd still wanna hear Loco Motive, no matter what. It's one song I think has a slightly more "modern" feel than some of the other dated stuff from the back catalog, and the current session players would do a hell of a job on it, and could even help with the vocal harmonies. Axl could even use effects and distort his voice and it would still be cool....

I'm just using ITW as an example. Really, any song works. ITW, Prostitute, Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, you name it.

I don't think we will ever get to hear Locomotive live again, but for other reasons than his voice. Pretty Tied Up, on the other hand, could be played and I see no reason why that is more challenging to sing than, say, Welcome to The Jungle, or any of the other songs which he nails today.

This is the video Bacardi is talkin' about if anyone wants to watch it. Amazing performance. He sounds like he wants to destroy the microphone with his voice. :lol:

This is the entire Lima, Peru concert:

Listen Mr. Brownstone or Sorry for example. His voice is STRONG.

I'm just using ITW as an example. Really, any song works. ITW, Prostitute, Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, you name it.

I don't think we will ever get to hear Locomotive live again, but for other reasons than his voice. Pretty Tied Up, on the other hand, could be played and I see no reason why that is more challenging to sing than, say, Welcome to The Jungle, or any of the other songs which he nails today.

I don't think we will ever get to hear Locomotive live again, but for other reasons than his voice. Pretty Tied Up, on the other hand, could be played and I see no reason why that is more challenging to sing than, say, Welcome to The Jungle, or any of the other songs which he nails today

we need a locomotive campaign to get it on the setlist.

Jesus, that show is fuckin' insanely good. I wrote off most of the South America 2010 leg because he sounded awful at the Sao Paulo one, but god damn.

Now you should understand my behavior the last 2 years. :lol:

All things considered, and it's not because I was there, the show in Lima was stellar. Listen to Better, sweet performance. Even Live and Let Die - a cover I personally hate - sounded great.

Jesus, that show is fuckin' insanely good. I wrote off most of the South America 2010 leg because he sounded awful at the Sao Paulo one, but god damn.

No, your behaviour can't be explained by something as ridiculously trivial as a rock singer not singing as good as he did two years earlier.

Edited by SoulMonster

All things considered, and it's not because I was there, the show in Lima was stellar. Listen to Better, sweet performance. Even Live and Let Die - a cover I personally hate - sounded great.

Same boat. I personally don't like Scraped, but I was lucky enough to see it live and it blew me away how much better it was live in 2010 than on the album.

Edited by bacardimayne

No, your behaviour can't be explained by something as ridiculously trivial as a rock singer not singing as good as he did two years later.

Yes, it can be.

Same boat. I personally don't like Scraped, but I was lucky enough to see it live and it blew me away how much better it was live in 2010 than on the album.

Surprisingly good. And he lost considerable weight from January to March. What happened to Axl Rose, FFS?

So I'm watching this video of If the World live in 2010 that pi2loc posted and I was thinking, "damn, I sure wish they'd bring that song back". But then I realized, I don't. Because it'd be awful. I don't even want them to bring back/debut any of the songs I love because I know he'd do such a shit job singing them. As a "fan" of Guns N' Roses, this bothers me because it shows just how far they've fallen in just a few years. Two years ago I'd have been salivating at the idea of them bringing back Locomotive, but if the prospect of them playing it today was brought up, I'd shudder to think of how bad it'd be.

tl;dr I don't even want them to bring back cool songs anymore because Axl would do a shit job on them.

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg