Does Axl's stint with New GNR remind anyone else of when Michael Jordan quit the Bulls to play baseball?

Randy Lahey

I suppose Jordan's attempt to play an entirely different sport (but still remaining an athlete) is comparable to Axl remaining a singer, but trying to turn a sleazy hard rock band into an industrial grunge band. It would be a much better comparison though, if Michael Jordan took ten years to actually walk up to the plate.

I suppose Jordan's attempt to play an entirely different sport (but still remaining an athlete) is comparable to Axl remaining a singer, but trying to turn a sleazy hard rock band into an industrial grunge band. It would be a much better comparison though, if Michael Jordan took ten years to actually walk up to the plate.

I feel like people overstate the whole "Axl tried to make industrial music" thing. He always had his ear to the ground for new sounds - I mean, imagine if the Illusions had never been released. We'd have legends about how Axl was trying to make big, grand rock opera type music and if we only had Appetite to compare it to, we'd laugh at the idea, but of course the Illusions are home to much of the band's best material. For better or worse, Chinese Democracy really didn't end up sounding too far from what you'd expect from GN'R after their other records. Some of it was obviously influenced by certain genres -- title song by grunge, TWAT by hip-hop -- but overall it's still very much a proper rock record in the vein of the band's progression.

I feel like people overstate the whole "Axl tried to make industrial music" thing. He always had his ear to the ground for new sounds - I mean, imagine if the Illusions had never been released. We'd have legends about how Axl was trying to make big, grand rock opera type music and if we only had Appetite to compare it to, we'd laugh at the idea, but of course the Illusions are home to much of the band's best material. For better or worse, Chinese Democracy really didn't end up sounding too far from what you'd expect from GN'R after their other records. Some of it was obviously influenced by certain genres -- title song by grunge, TWAT by hip-hop -- but overall it's still very much a proper rock record in the vein of the band's progression.

Absolutely, it was more of a joke than a comment, really. If (and this is a big if) it came down to Slash wanting to make simple AFD blues rock and Axl wanting to make complex music that evolved with every record, I have always supported Axl's side of this argument. I said that in 1996, and I still say it today. I do think it's fairly clear that he was moving in a more industrial direction (as witnessed by Oh My God) and there was clearly some grunge influence as well (numerous references to Pearl Jam during that time period, Axl wanting the drums in CD to sound like Teen Spirit). And there's nothing wrong with that, they were both great bands. I just think he got cold feet at some point and twisted himself into a pretzel trying to figure out where to take it next, especially after the RTB comments and reported negativity from the label. Which is why it is even more of a mystery that, after finally getting that CD monkey off his back, he has refused to release or basically even talk about new music ever since.

And yeah, I love UYI to death. It's what cemented GNR in my mind as one of my two favourite bands ever, not Appetite.

Edited by axlsalinger

It reminds me of when Sly Stallone tried to do comedy in theory. But in the end the record isnt unlike UYI with a bit more Axlism. Its really the football jersey and braids that gives people the fear.

It reminds me of when Sly Stallone tried to do comedy in theory. .

People were expecting Rocky or Rambo, not Stop! Or My Mom will Shoot. However, a reunion might not be any better than the Expendables. But whatever. Come on Axl, give the people some air!

Edited by Randy Lahey

I just cant imagine a Rick Rubin produced Reunion record working. GNR doing a 90s influenced record is kind of a crazy idea. So now they are going to take on 00s influences?

They would have to bring back Clink and go old school. The 2000's having nothing to offer.

This can't really be compared.

When Jordan quit and played baseball it was more of a way for him to take a break and clear his mind at the time. He was giving up the sport he had played professionally for 10 years straight to play a sport he had not played since he was 15 or so. Axl can really be compared with that, sure old band mates left, but he still was doing music.

What, no? But we could do 10000 of these threads:

"Does Axl's stint with New GNR remind anyone else of when Syd Barrett went crazy and quit Pink Floyd?"

"Does Axl's stint with New GNR remind anyone else of when Elton John came out of the closet?"

"Does Axl's stint with New GNR remind anyone else of when the ABA was merged into the NBA?"

"Does Axl's stint with New GNR remind anyone else of when Scott left the Pink Pistol band?"

"Does Axl's stint with New GNR remind anyone else of when Chris Cornell tried to go all solo, but returned to Soundgarden?"

etc.

I just cant imagine a Rick Rubin produced Reunion record working. GNR doing a 90s influenced record is kind of a crazy idea. So now they are going to take on 00s influences?

They would have to bring back Clink and go old school. The 2000's having nothing to offer.
maybe if they back to the same studio AFD was recorded with Rick and got in the Delorean and set for 1987. recycle the riffs like Black sabbath did... its still the realness of the lyrics thats a hurdle. How do you write those lyrics of knowing abandon. I guess Tattoo You meets Thunderstruck. Sing about the glory days. Id just die if Axl wrote song about how his ipod was out to get him.

The fact is Jordan's dad was killed and he wasn't focused on the game, so he "retired", because he didn't know when he was going to have his game back. When he made his comeback and got his head back into the game, he was also doing "Space Jam" and playing pickup with pros and college guys after they wrapped for the day. That's probably why there were so many cameos by pro players. It's not like Michael had to do much, except be told where Bugs Bunny was, and hang out with Bill Murray. Axl is just looney tunes.

The only similarity is wanting the media to go away for a while so they can deal with personal shit.