When you say you want a GNR reunion, you really mean...

Guest NGOG

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl-Rose-and-Slash-axl-rose-and-slash-15

Be honest about it. If there was some glorious formula to the classic line-up, why didn't you get off the GNR boat when Steven was fired, or when Izzy left? All the phrase 'GNR reunion' refers to is Axl and Slash being in the same line-up again. Even if Duff, Matt and Gilby didn't follow Slash out the door you would still be calling for Axl/Slash GNR. That's what it is in reality, an unyding yearn for Axl/Slash GNR, not any glorious 5 as you've kid yourselves into believing.

In terms of main image and most obvious sound, probably. But in terms of attitude I'd love duff in there as well. Especially modern Duff. He got his shit together, looks ace and he could bring some great Loaded-style songs. And in terms of songwriting you WANT Izzy on board. The only thing classic-GnR produced post-Izzy is a cover album. I don't give a crap if it's Matt or Steven really. And I couldn't give a crap if Dizzy's in on it either. But you do need Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff. If not it's not a GnR reunion to me.

I think Slash, Duff and Izzy are all more able to deliver as well, compared to the late 80's and early 90's. The only worry I'd have is Axl's singing. He could probably pull off great songs in the studio, but I doubt he'd be able to deliver consistently on stage.

Axl and Slash would be an Axl and Slash reunion. Add Izzy and Duff and you'd have a GnR reunion.

Edited by username

I've experienced it live and it was pretty fuckin' good. Not as good as Axl from 2006-2010, but definitely better than one of his average 2011-13 performances.

And to be honest, I'll go as far as to say that I've never heard Axl Rose sing SCOM live as well as Myles does on a day-to-day basis, even in his prime years.

How can you have reservations about Axl's clean style, yet find yourself endeared by Myles' style? Axl at times has resemembled a bag of cats, Myles prides himself on sounding like a bag of drowning cats.

It's a simple matter of Myles being on-key and sustaining notes, while Axl is pitchy and out of breath.

Anyway, we're veering off-topic here. When I brought up Myles, I was simply pointing out how dumb your "who plays the material best" rationale was. There are probably thousands of singers in the world who would do a better job singing GNR songs than Axl does currently. Would I replace Axl with any of them? Fuck no. Same goes for a guy like Izzy, who was so vital to what made AFD the album it was, and is still perfectly capable of playing the songs at a respectable level. Sure, he might not have Fortus's flair and energy, but he brings his own stage presence simply being Izzy Stradlin. And yes, the crowd would care. Simply having 3 "real GNR" members on stage as opposed to 2 would have more of an impact than some guy jumping around while playing his chords instead of standing still, believe me.

And besides, with Izzy on board, we'd get 14 Years on the setlist. Fortus can fuck off for that reason alone.

If he even just dropped Bumble and Ashba, brought back Slash and Izzy, and for good measure, replaced Ferrer with just about any other drummer, it would be Gnr to me, and probably the masses again.

If Axl were merely to replace Dj with Slash it would be GNR to the masses again. That's the superficial mentality which drives most people's desire for a reunion.

Slash would never share the spotlight with 2 other guitar players. Especially 2 better guitar players.

That's what makes the current band a great band....no egos to ruin everything.

Technically better, Bumble, sure. Haven't heard enough from Fortus to say either way. But bullshit, pointless arguments aside, it doesn't matter, point still remains the same as what Axl would need to do to make legit Gnr music. Whether Slash accepts the scenario or not, who knows?

I know...Slash would never accept that scenario. I can't picture him taking turns sharing the spotlight with ANY other guitar player.

Seeing the three guys responsible for AFD being good playing together again would be awesome.

In Izzy's case, maybe for one night only. But ultimately only Slash would enhance the current crop of guitarists. Fortus plays the material head and shoulders above Izzy.

I can't say I've listened to Izzy's recent performances with Axl closely enough to pick out if he's been doing a good job or not. I never noticed any glaring errors though, so I don't see the problem. Fortus may be a more talented guitarist than Izzy, but does that really matter when Fortus's output with GNR is limited to live covers of Izzy Stradlin's rhythm tracks? Fortus may be a "better live performer" than Izzy, but does that really matter when, despite all of this charisma he supposedly oozes, 98% of the people in the average GNR crowd would take boring ol' Izzy on stage over him in a heartbeat?

Lol 98%

When I brought up Myles, I was simply pointing out how dumb your "who plays the material best" rationale was.

How is it dumb to to select a line-up based on optimum performance? Should an NFL selector pick a team based on who played good in the 90s? At the same time should he deny a place to a 90s great who is still playing well?

Axl is the one person that you simply cannot claim the legacy of GNR without.

When I brought up Myles, I was simply pointing out how dumb your "who plays the material best" rationale was.

How is it dumb to to select a line-up based on optimum performance? Should an NFL selector pick a team based on who played good in the 90s? At the same time should he deny a place to a 90s great who is still playing well?

Axl is the one person that you simply cannot claim the legacy of GNR without.

What's the goal with GNR here? To go out and win a "best note-for-note live performers while jumping and spinning around" award? No. They're a nostalgia act. The more elements of nostalgia you introduce, the more successful your nostalgia act will be.

I might see your point if Izzy were actually BAD live to the point where it was distracting (like Axl), but from what we've seen of his recent performances with Axl, he isn't. He's completely capable of playing his parts, his presence generates an extremely positive reception from every crowd, and it allows them to add songs to the setlist that they wouldn't normally be able to play without him.

Edited by bacardimayne

I love the Richard Fortus mythology on GNR forums :rolleyes:

"He's the secret-weapon"

"Motormouth is the best GNR rocker since AFD"

Any rhythm guitarist who isn't Izzy Stradlin is completely expendable.

"Without Paul Tobias there would be no Guns N' Roses"

facepalm.gif

Edited by PedoGNR

They're a nostalgia act. The more elements of nostalgia you introduce, the more successful your nostalgia act will be.

He's completely capable of playing his parts, his presence generates an extremely positive reception from every crowd, and it allows them to add songs to the setlist that they wouldn't normally be able to play without him.

The more elements of nostalgia you add, the staler the production becomes. They play a set which leans toward nostalgia currently, if they add inferior players to further that sense of nostalgia, you can say without question that Axl's aspiration is gone. At least there is the possibility of another record with the current GNR line-up. Would Axl ever want to get implicitly creative with Slash again?

Why opt for an inferior player even if he can cope with the parts? Is it just so some people can be endeared by his image for a few shows and then get tired of it and move onto the next request? Izzy gets to play rare songs with GNR not on the basis of ability, but clearly because Axl wants to. His presence obviously gives Axl a sense of energy.

I love the Richard Fortus mythology on GNR forums :rolleyes:

"He's the secret-weapon"

"Motormouth is the best GNR rocker since AFD"

Any rhythm guitarist who isn't Izzy Stradlin is completely expendable.

"Without Paul Tobias there would be no Guns N' Roses"

facepalm.gif

If you knew anything about music you would know Fortus is not just a "rhythm guitar player".

He's a world class studio musician capable of playing ANYTHING.

Axl & Slash were always everything about Gn'R in the eyes of the general public and casual fans. As a nostalgia act band Axl's Gn'R will only be successful with Slash being a part of it in some way. No other founding member really matters...

The more elements of nostalgia you add, the staler the production becomes. They play a set which leans toward nostalgia currently, if they add inferior players to further that sense of nostalgia, you can say without question that Axl's aspiration is gone. At least there is the possibility of another record with the current GNR line-up. Would Axl ever want to get implicitly creative with Slash again?

Why opt for an inferior player even if he can cope with the parts? Is it just so some people can be endeared by his image for a few shows and then get tired of it and move onto the next request? Izzy gets to play rare songs with GNR not on the basis of ability, but clearly because Axl wants to. His presence obviously gives Axl a sense of energy.

And what, the production isn't already stale as week old shit? Axl's aspiration is gone. He's been going through the motions ever since Rio. No fire left in him at all. Why not go all out and make the band as profitable as possible? You could advertise Axl and Izzy reuniting as the two founding members of GNR. That'd be big for ticket sales. What, you think this is a bad idea because it'd be sacrificing Axl's artistic integrity or something? Newsflash, there's none left to give. Your new record is about as likely as getting hit by lightning and winning the lottery in the same day.

You opt for that "inferior player" because no one gives a fuck about Richard. He's a session musician who jumps around a lot and does justice to the songs. Good for him, but how many people in the crowd even know his name? I'd wager less than 15%. You bring in Izzy and you've got the co-founding member of GNR. You've got Axl's childhood friend from Indiana. You've got the guy who wrote most of the songs on AFD. You've got the guy who was half of the iconic guitar sound on what many consider to be the greatest rock album of all time. It's a big deal. Not as big a deal as Slash, but a big deal.

And yeah, they just happened to play 14 Years when Izzy was there because Axl was in the mood. Had nothing to do with the fact that Izzy sings the fucking song. :rofl-lol: I'm done here.

Edited by bacardimayne

When it comes down to the question of a reunion I am fairly sure the majority of people buying tickets would take all original members at their worst over more recent members who might technically play better. The purpose of a reunion would be exactly what it says on the tin.

Exactly. All this original/real GNR talk is a bunch of bs. If any of these people really believed in that they would have jumped ship when Steven was fired and/or definitely when Izzy left (especially since Izzy wrote more than anyone else aside from Axl and along with Axl was the only there when the band was actually named and formed). The magic formula for these people is:

1 bandana + 1 top hat = Real GNR

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

Is this Miser's Velvet Girl moment? :lol:

Exactly. All this original/real GNR talk is a bunch of bs. If any of these people really believed in that they would have jumped ship when Steven was fired and/or definitely when Izzy left (especially since Izzy wrote more than anyone else aside from Axl and along with Axl was the only there when the band was actually named and formed). The magic formula for these people is:

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

Don't think is Miser, but he clearly forgot to change accounts. :rofl-lol:

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

Yeah well whoever it is it's clearly somebody's .alt account. :lol:

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

LMFAO. Just caught that.

Let's to be real...Do you really that Steven can do 3hours shows in every second day...Do you really think that Axl can believe that Izzy won't leave the tour..
For me reunion band is:

Axl

Slash

Duff

Richard as second guitar

Izzy as studio guitarist

Frank Ferrer on drums

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

you agree with yourself?

what an arsehole...

btw i don't want a reunion anymore. If bucket performs with Axl that would be cool

but Axl losing his voice, which means i don't want any reunion really. It's too late

Nice to see some occasional "reunions" (with Duff or Izzy or Finck or brain) but it's enough

What i want is new music

If he even just dropped Bumble and Ashba, brought back Slash and Izzy, and for good measure, replaced Ferrer with just about any other drummer, it would be Gnr to me, and probably the masses again.

If Axl were merely to replace Dj with Slash it would be GNR to the masses again. That's the superficial mentality which drives most people's desire for a reunion.

Slash would never share the spotlight with 2 other guitar players. Especially 2 better guitar players.

That's what makes the current band a great band....no egos to ruin everything.

without any new record...

just a nostalgia act

these guys deserves more not Axl and his nostalgic tour. hell even the GNR name deserves more

Fortus may be a "better live performer" than Izzy, but does that really matter when, despite all of this charisma he supposedly oozes, 98% of the people in the average GNR crowd would take boring ol' Izzy on stage over him in a heartbeat?

I think you're overestimating most people's insight into the role of Izzy in old GNR. As far as I'm concerned, given that new material with old GNR is out of the question on the basis of tour sustainability, it's a matter of who plays the material best. Does a noodling Izzy top Richard Fortus? No. Does Slash top Dj? Easily.

In that case, bring in Myles Kennedy to replace Axl.
Have you heard Myles do GNR? What I mean to say is, have you heard Myles try to do GNR? Obviously, of all people to do GNR, you have Axl and Slash as your first choices.

I've experienced it live and it was pretty fuckin' good. Not as good as Axl from 2006-2010, but definitely better than one of his average 2011-13 performances.

And to be honest, I'll go as far as to say that I've never heard Axl Rose sing SCOM live as well as Myles does on a day-to-day basis, even in his prime years.

Give this man a prize, because he hit it on the head. Myles right now sings the Gn'R tunes better than Axl, and Myles kills (in a good way) Sweet Child.