Should they stop making Superhero movies now?

wasted

I just saw a list of Superhero movies coming out like Thor 2, something like Guardians of the Avengers and Captain America 2.

Is there really still a market out there now who still want more of these movies. I guess there is, it just seems like every hero gets a trilogy now. It's kind of funny really.

I just wish they could use some of this money for something else, there's no variety of action movies out there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the trend's gonna die pretty soon. (next couple years)

Thor 2 will do ok

Captain America 2 will flop

Iron Man series is dead (biggest Avengers piece)

Guardians of the Galaxy will flop

Avengers 2 won't flop, but I don't think it'll meet the expectations

Don't even get me started on Ant-Man

Hopefully Batman vs. Superman tanks and we don't have to deal with DC keeping the "genre" afloat.

Marvel is all set to go all the way through with a "phase 3" of movies after Avengers 2. Basically that means there will be another 4-5 movies after Avengers 2 that will lead up to Avengers 3 most likely in 2017 or 18. I dont see them doing a phase 4 though after that. It will be too hard to get all the contracts renewed and as you said, there will probably be an over saturation of the superhero movie. Although, I am very glad they are going up to Avengers 3 and making movies supposedly for more obscure characters like Ant Man and Dr Strange.

There are also plans for Spiderman 2, 3, and freaking 4. That just seems idiotic to me. Why I dont know, the last one was average but forgettable in my opinion. A sequel or maybe two I can maybe understand but that is not a franchise worthy of 4 movies. Would have rather had a spidey reboot in the Marvel Universe last year.

X Men has "Days of Future Past" coming out next year, and nothing planned after that. It sounds like it could be a great end to the franchise though. Could wipe out the shit taste of X3 and tie together both the "First Class" and old trilogy characters and stories very well.

Fox also has plans to reboot The Fantastic Four which seems very unnecessary and will just over saturate the market more

On the DC side of things they just have the Batman vs Superman movie lined up, with rumors for a Flash movie the year after that. Defiantly sounds like they are trying to do a Marvel and get a Justice League movie eventually made.

So yes, there are a redicolous amount of super hero movies on the way, but most of these are coming 100% since they are already in production. Marvel will do very well as long as they maintain their quality. Both Avengers and Iron Man 3 alone are some of the highest earners ever. I also love X Men but am totally fine with next year being the last film. Im actually hoping for it if it is really good. The franchise has been around since 2000 basically and deserves to go out with a bang (First Class isnt really a reboot anymore since it is in the same universe). Spiderman Im indifferent about. DIdnt hate the last one but this current franchise doesnt need to exist and just crowds the marked (same with a future FF movie).

Batman vs Superman and Justice League Im excited for but they really could have easily waited another 10 years to reboot batman. If it is executed well though, bring it on

Edited by ZoSoRose

Avengers 3 is already happening, they even got Downy to sign a contract for it. I really dont see an Iron Man 4 though... that would be kind of pointless

For phase 3 we might get one more Thor or Captain America movie but it sounds like they will be mostly new characters.

They should have never started.

This, i haven't seen a single one and i don't plan to either cuz they look fuckin' shit.

Agreed.

I loved the shit out of the Adam West Batman movie (1966) when I was a kid. That, and the Dark Knight (largely because of the Joker) are the only superhero movies I have fond memories of. All the new ones look terribly predictable and boring. Too much CGI in a lot of movies now, and superhero movies are a big offender.

Guest Len B'stard

Why would you deny kids a comic movie just because you've grown up yourself? Many of my favourite pieces were inspired by graphic novels.

The audiences to a lot of this stuff clearly ain't kids though. And also, we're talking about the saturation of the market with em at the expense of cinema that requires perhaps a tad more creativity from the creators, for the benefit of the medium on the whole.

The audiences to a lot of this stuff clearly ain't kids though.

Get over yourself man. There's a huge affection for superheros many of whom have never enjoyed being fully developed on screen. It's not like they're rebooting these franchises every second year. There hasn't been a decent crack at Superman since the Reeve era in the same way Batman was only done properly under the guidance of Christopher Nolan (after being butchered in the 90s by Joel Schumacher). Ironman has never went Hollywood before and neither has the crime fighting syndicate he's part of, The Avengers.

If you don't like these movies, which you underestimate the effort behind in terms of doing justice to the years of graphic novels, don't see them. I'm sure there are more sophisticated options for you to see.

Edited by NGOG

Guest Len B'stard

The audiences to a lot of this stuff clearly ain't kids though.

Get over yourself man. There's a huge affection for superheros many of whom have never enjoyed being fully developed on screen. It's not like they're rebooting these franchises every second year. There hasn't been a decent crack at Superman since the Reeve era in the same way Batman was only done properly under the guidance of Christopher Nolan (after being butchered in the 90s by Joel Schumacher). Ironman has never went Hollywood before and neither has the crime fighting syndicate he's part of, The Avengers.

If you don't like these movies, which you underestimate the effort behind in terms of doing justice to the years of graphic novels, don't see them. I'm sure there are more sophisticated options for you to see.

Yeah but it is in effect the saturation of the market with A particular kind of film, does it REALLY have to be the same exact film rebooted over and over until someone cries foul? And as mentioned previously, i don't watch em and don't plan to. Is it really that bad, is it that stuck up to want to be intrigued by a movie? Or excited by the prospect of what it might be about? Instead of 'there's this guy right, during the day he works for a newspaper...but at night...', it's just fucking stale and boring. Is it REALLY that awful of me to look at these movies that come out that are all either remakes of an old movie, comic books or whatever, is it really pissing on everyone parade to just want to see movies that are intriguing, whoose worth is based solely on what they are and not like, 50 years of Marvel magic or whatever?

The genre is still clearly profitable. And with Hollywood taking it a bit more seriously in terms of calibre of the cast, and budget. I don't see them going away for a while.

Not to mention there is decades upon decades and thousands of great titles and stories, that happen to have been produced in comic book form first, to draw from.

Guest Len B'stard

The genre is still clearly profitable. And with Hollywood taking it a bit more seriously in terms of calibre of the cast, and budget. I don't see them going away for a while.

Not to mention there is decades upon decades and thousands of great titles and stories, that happen to have been produced in comic book form first, to draw from.

Thats made me feel quite ill :lol: Quite frankly i've stopped watching movies in the way i used to and this sort of thing is the reason why.

Thats made me feel quite ill :lol: Quite frankly i've stopped watching movies in the way i used to and this sort of thing is the reason why.

I hope so.

Besides, movie versions of stuff that was already there? can't avoid it. Almost every hit movie these days was something else before.

Edited by moreblack