What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

The Book Thief - I loved it. Beautifully shot and acted.

I've read the book before. I had forgotten there was going to be a movie adaption. Have you read it? If you have, would you say it's faithful to it? I had a hard time figuring out how they would adapt it.

I have not. But I think I would like to. How did you like it? I did read where most people wondered how they would handle the narration with the adaptation and from what I could tell the general consensus is that it was well done.

I really thought it was a beautiful movie and I highly recommend it.

I enjoyed it, it was a very good book. Made me think quite a bit, very good plot. And the final line really stuck with me for some reason. "I am haunted by humans." I don't know why. And yeah, I'm trying to figure how it could be given justice. Not sure how the movie is told, but the book is told from the point of view of the grim reaper, who has happened upon this girl numerous times in her life. Is it anything like that?

I'll have to check it out sometime. Took a peek at the casting choices and can't say I'm displeased.

Yes, the movie is narrated by the grim reaper. They made an excellent choice for the voice of death. The movie is really the girl's story. I'm guessing they left out many of Death's lines but I think they did a good job with it. In my experience a book is usually superior to a movie, at least for the simple fact that they can include so much more. That doesn't change my love of film though.

Two movies that I thought were actually better than the novels are The Devil's Advocate and The Devil Wears Prada. And I just realized that both of those contain the word devil. Weird.

Nulla, I recommend Meet Joe Black for you to watch.

I'm familiar with the guy they picked for the roll. Definitely looking forward to seeing it, because it sounds about right. I hope that Death's sense of humor is still apparent. The books usually are better for the reason you said, but I find them more enjoyable because you can imagine how the characters look yourself and picture how things go down at certain points. Might just be my weird brain that thinks that though, heh.

I've seen very few movies better than the book as well. One that's kind of hard to decide was "Rumble Fish," which was good in its own way, but in other ways the book was also better. Like there was a framing device in the book that I think the movie would have been better off with if it had been included.

Hmm, interesting title. What is it about, if you can tell me without spoiling something on the plot?

The Book Thief - I loved it. Beautifully shot and acted.

I've read the book before. I had forgotten there was going to be a movie adaption. Have you read it? If you have, would you say it's faithful to it? I had a hard time figuring out how they would adapt it.

I have not. But I think I would like to. How did you like it? I did read where most people wondered how they would handle the narration with the adaptation and from what I could tell the general consensus is that it was well done.

I really thought it was a beautiful movie and I highly recommend it.

I enjoyed it, it was a very good book. Made me think quite a bit, very good plot. And the final line really stuck with me for some reason. "I am haunted by humans." I don't know why. And yeah, I'm trying to figure how it could be given justice. Not sure how the movie is told, but the book is told from the point of view of the grim reaper, who has happened upon this girl numerous times in her life. Is it anything like that?

I'll have to check it out sometime. Took a peek at the casting choices and can't say I'm displeased.

Yes, the movie is narrated by the grim reaper. They made an excellent choice for the voice of death. The movie is really the girl's story. I'm guessing they left out many of Death's lines but I think they did a good job with it. In my experience a book is usually superior to a movie, at least for the simple fact that they can include so much more. That doesn't change my love of film though.

Two movies that I thought were actually better than the novels are The Devil's Advocate and The Devil Wears Prada. And I just realized that both of those contain the word devil. Weird.

Nulla, I recommend Meet Joe Black for you to watch.

I'm familiar with the guy they picked for the roll. Definitely looking forward to seeing it, because it sounds about right. I hope that Death's sense of humor is still apparent. The books usually are better for the reason you said, but I find them more enjoyable because you can imagine how the characters look yourself and picture how things go down at certain points. Might just be my weird brain that thinks that though, heh.

I've seen very few movies better than the book as well. One that's kind of hard to decide was "Rumble Fish," which was good in its own way, but in other ways the book was also better. Like there was a framing device in the book that I think the movie would have been better off with if it had been included.

Hmm, interesting title. What is it about, if you can tell me without spoiling something on the plot?

Of course.

From IMDb:

A media mogul acts as a guide to Death, who takes the form of a young man to learn about life on Earth and in the process, fall in love with his guide's daughter.

That doesn't do it justice.

From Wikipedia:

Meet Joe Black is a 1998 American fantasy romance film produced by Universal Studios, directed by Martin Brest and starring Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins and Claire Forlani, loosely based on the 1934 film Death Takes a Holiday. It was the second pairing of Hopkins and Pitt after their 1994 film Legends of the Fall.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize how bad that copy and paste job would look.

Edited by sweetchild88

Edge of Tomorrow was surprisingly good. It was basically like playing PS4 with no save option. :lol: I loved it!

I loved this film too. Perhaps Tom's best since Minority Report.

I saw it in theaters too. Very good and original premise, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The ending could have been better though, seems like they grasped for a "happy ending" when a downer ending would have been the better and more logical way to go.

Then of course there's the obvious plot hole: How did that woman know she lost the "gift," when knowing for sure would require her to die and not come back? Especially during the whole "tried it, didn't work" things she said? Seriously, that's a huge hole in the film's logic. Still a great movie though.

[REC] 4 was great. I don't think I liked it as much as the first two (Too different to compare though, really), but it was much better than the third film, and that's coming from someone who actually enjoyed it. There was a Q&A session with the director afterwards and someone asked him what he thought of Quarantine - that was entertaining! :popcorn:

• Like 1

I read about 100 pages of the book thief, ironically I have it 5 years overdue from a library lol but I read about 7 books at once so it got lost in the shuffle somewhere. I'll find it again soon.

I watched Taxi Driver again the other night on the wide screen, absolute bliss, what a fucking descent De Niro goes into.

'Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up... Here is... you're dead...'

taxi-driver-talking.JPG

• Like 1

Under the Skin

5 minutes in and I couldn't wait for it to end. Stuck with it, though it wasn't worth my time.

I heard good things (though some of them mixed), and I knew it wasn't your normal type of movie, so I went into it without too high expectations.

Didn't matter, though. Aside from a good performance (I guess) from Scar Jo, it was mildly interesting at best, if that even.

I read about 100 pages of the book thief, ironically I have it 5 years overdue from a library lol but I read about 7 books at once so it got lost in the shuffle somewhere. I'll find it again soon.

I watched Taxi Driver again the other night on the wide screen, absolute bliss, what a fucking descent De Niro goes into.

'Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up... Here is... you're dead...'

taxi-driver-talking.JPG

Refreshing to know he enjoys Kellogs Cornflakes though eh? Do i see Frosties back there?

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1