Sean Beavan -- Axl didn't lay any vocals after 2000

Guest NGOG

With all the quotes about the perfectionism, it's bizarre that some songs still sound like they have vocal "guide takes" that were produced to try to sound like "real takes". Prostitute is the main example of this. I don't think he re-recorded a lot of vocals, just went back to produce them some more.

With all the quotes about the perfectionism, it's bizarre that some songs still sound like they have vocal "guide takes" that were produced to try to sound like "real takes". Prostitute is the main example of this. I don't think he re-recorded a lot of vocals, just went back to produce them some more.

He said Prostitute was one of the tracks that changed least from conception to end, though there's a lot of Buckethead guitar and Beltrami n' Buckmaster orchestration that came after the Beavan era (I think).

It is kind of crazy to thing that a song like Catcher has vocals from 1999, guitar work from 2007 from when BBF overdubbed the guitar parts on the album, and random tracks from any number of years ago.

I wonder how the chemistry and vibe of the songs would feel if they were recorded with the basic tracks live with overdubbing done that same week. Maybe it would have sounded more cohesive?

Edited by WhazUp

"I don't think..."

The 2008 version of Chinese Democracy (song) has an extra vocal layer that the 2006 version didn't have, which pretty much confirms Axl recorded them on those two years.

Not really. All that it confirms is that they changed the mix up. :shrugs:

The main vocals on TWAT, Chinese, IRS, Catcher, Madagascar & The Blues are easily all from the Beaven sessions. Buckethead didn't join until after Beaven left, so vocals on Bucket-penned tracks like Shackler's, Sorry, Scraped etc. were obviously laid down after.

Better & Prostitute are up in the air, since although Bucket is featured prominently on both, we have no idea what the original demos were like. For example, Bucket is all over the final version of TWAT, but a demo exists where only Robin & Paul are on guitars. I would imagine versions of both from the Beaven era exist.

Edit: For the record, I think it would be absolutely wicked if one day Axl released a 3 CD version of Chinese, featuring the Sean Beaven, Roy Thomas Baker, & Caram Castanzo versions of the album, with perhaps unreleased tracks from each era of the album. Would be killer.

Edited by sofine11

Thats interesting, in that means Shacklers, Sorry etc were all done by 2000.

this album took 3 years to make.

Beavan doesn't get any credit in the liner notes for Shackler's, Better, Scraped, Sorry, or TIL. Those may likely have been started post-2000.

They do sound different. Til maybe before after. Who produced those Cazam?