How did we even get Live Era?

cooker

He resisted if I remember right and then insisted that some of the vocals be redone... not a total live album. Just as he resisted the release of Greatist Hits as well. Many thought that Axl believed it drew attention and promotion to the old band. Naturally there would be income derived from it that at the time was being litigated by members of the old unit.

I think this was a contractual album and a last resort to clear the decks of old GNR. I added it to my collection but I also have tons of bootlegs that I feel are more authentic and representative of the band as it used to be.

It was a shit job again on the liner notes with no indication where each song was played. Curious swipe at Matt who wasnt listed as a member of GNR but as "other muscian" of something to that effect.

Geffen wanted a record by the end of 1999 and presumably Axl approved Live Era to appease the pressure and buy more time for Chinese Democracy (as well as getting Finck's SCOM on an official GNR release).

It was the same situation with Greatest Hits in 2004, only Axl in that instance actually behaved in a way you would expect, by opposing the idea.

I liked the idea\concept of it but the execution was slightly lacking. wasn't just a live album but a bookend to the old band, presenting them at their best. I wonder if part of the reason he wanted to re-record the vocals was because they didn't have in ear monitors in those days making it difficult to hit the right note at times (especially the high ones). I actually wouldn't have minded if he replaced Izzy's vocals and he should have have re-recorded the Coma vocals. Some song choices I didn't agree with eg I think there should have been a version of Double Talkin' Jive on there as it was a totally different (and superior) song live, plus Guns didn't really a signature 'instrumental' and that was the closest they got. I would of also liked "The Garden" on there too as it was the only really 'spooky' song they'd done. The new WTTJ video was pretty cool and it served as way to 'update' the image of the band. Come to think of it that wasn't the only video done for the album was it? The wiki page doesn't say.

Definite Inclusions:

The Garden

Double Talkin' Jive

Other songs that could have been on there

Perfect Crime (Most Punk song they ever did) Would have been perfect to open the 2nd disk.

14 Years (Similar feel to Dust N Bones but it's so good I think it should be there)

You Aint the First (Most bluesy thing they'd done and a quality song)

Locomotive (it's lacking a definitive live version plus it showed both the 'Guns' and 'Roses' aspects of GNR)

Live and Let Die (Only if Axl re-recorded the screams similar to how he performs it with the new band)

I would have removed

Move to the City (Never cared for it and no-one else seems to think of it as a significant GNR song)

It's Alright (Same thing)

I don't really care for Pretty Tied Up but I understand it has it's fans.

Edited by rainman_1985

When "Live Era" came out, all signs pointed to the new GNR album being just around the corner. The official website existed, and had a very strong message board, so there were always little tidbits of news. Plus Oh My God was released at exactly the same time, so there was lots of talk about Axl's big return. I saw Live Era as a way of stirring up interest in a band that was finished, but also starting over.

The amount of mystery and excitement surrounding Axl and his new band at the time of Live Era was incredible.

But... It would be 9 years before that new GNR album was actually released.

Locomotive and The Garden I'm not sure we're even played live. If they were only once or twice

Both played live a few times. I am not sure when/where though.

Here's the Garden 1993

Edited by 2x4

I listened to Estranged from Tokyo '92 (Source of Live Era version) for the first time in YEARS the other day. This after listening to the Live Era version 1000's of times. Makes me wonder if Axl isnt a fan of "Rasp", why elese would he have re-recorded the entire damn thing?

WTTJ was the best version ever, suspiciously the only song on the entire album without a source

The other video made was It's So Easy, live footage merged with footage from the original banned version

When this fist came out, I just remember people saying the entire band had a hand in what was going to be on the album, not just Axl... For whatever reason this album would be made and he could do nothing about it. As others have said, the label wanted an album, and this is what they could agree on

Geffen wanted a record by the end of 1999 and presumably Axl approved Live Era to appease the pressure and buy more time for Chinese Democracy (as well as getting Finck's SCOM on an official GNR release).

Could you explain this?

Edited by LoadedNightraiN

Show me a live locomotive minus rehearsal with beck

Locomotive 6

setlist.fm

Show me a live locomotive minus rehearsal with beck

Locomotive 6

setlist.fm

MSG 1991

Live Era '87 - '93 was Axl saying goodbye to the old era. Unfortunately the new era never really took off.

Correct! Axl said in his 1999 interview that Live Era was intended to be a way of "saying goodbye" to the classic band so that the new millenium could be focused entirely on the new band. Unfortunately for him that didn't really turn out to be the case...

New WTTJ video?

there was also this new Easy video