Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

So as result of my recent Stones Vinyl Fever I was bidding on this mint first pressing mono "Let It Bleed" but as you can imagine I tapped out early.

It finally sold for $1,181.94/ 790.00 British pounds

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221739993364?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

JMO but at that price I am guessing this never gets played by the winner and ends up as a trophy.

As a consolation I just ordered copies of the DSD reissue vinyl's of "Beggars Banquet" and "Let It Bleed" for about $56.00 as I have been reading other vinyl geeks raving about them

Edited by classicrawker

Just bought a 1969 Stereo first pressing of John Mayall's Blues Breakers "Beano" album with Clapton in beautiful shape from a gent in Great Britain. Also picked up a mint first pressing of the Stones Dirty Work album from him. Not their best but fills a hole in the Stones collection.

Man buying vinyl does become an addiction......... that will be it for a while now I think as I have to catch my breath and give all my buys a spin.

Man buying vinyl does become an addiction......... that will be it for a while now I think as I have to catch my breath and give all my buys a spin.

I feel like I say this to myself too often :lol:

I just bought another 3:

Praxis - Profanation (Buckethead/Brain/Bill Laswell, and guest vocalists including Serj Tankian, Iggy Pop, Mike Patton, Killah Priest)

Monster Truck - The Don't Fuck With The Truck Collection

Yelawolf - Love Story (pre-order)

Would've ordered the Amused To Death picture disc too if it weren't $60.

I alphabetized my record collection a couple weeks ago and in doing so inspected some of the ones I haven't played in a while... there's 6 that I've deemed useless due to scratches so I've been picking away at replacing those. I finally went to the (fairly new) record store that opened around the corner from me and picked up a replacement of Dark Side of the Moon, in awesome shape, with the sticker. My copy had a few little scratches throughout but one big one across almost all of Time, so that's gotta go :lol:

• Like 1

recently picked up Big Brother & the Holding Co. w/ Janis Joplin (S/T) and Rage Against The Machine (S/T) :devilshades:

I need to get some Big Brother. That's also the only Rage album I'm missing. I need to get around to getting that too.

recently picked up Big Brother & the Holding Co. w/ Janis Joplin (S/T) and Rage Against The Machine (S/T) :devilshades:

I need to get some Big Brother. That's also the only Rage album I'm missing. I need to get around to getting that too.

I know Cheap Thrills gets all the attention but I love the folkie vibe of the S/T album.

I found Nirvana's Unplugged for cheaper than I usually see it so I grabbed it today, after watching Montage of Heck about a week ago... I need to stop "just wandering around" record stores. They take all my spending money :lol:

I know Cheap Thrills gets all the attention but I love the folkie vibe of the S/T album.

I found Nirvana's Unplugged for cheaper than I usually see it so I grabbed it today, after watching Montage of Heck about a week ago... I need to stop "just wandering around" record stores. They take all my spending money :lol:

I did that with From The Muddy Banks a few weeks back. Went into a record store for no real reason, saw Muddy Banks and had to have it.

• Like 1

The Stones obsession continues as I am Waiting on the following from a seller in England

1. Stones 3rd album Out of our Heads- DECCA red label mono original pressing

2. Stones- Let It Bleed Decca boxed Stereo. Would really love a mono copy of this but even beat up copies go for crazy money

3. Stones- It's Only RnR UK 1st pressing

This really cool record store opened where i live, like all vy...i can't spell it :lol: Records though, you know what i mean. Vinyl. All like Beatles and Elvis and Stones and The Who and...just like all really cool 60s 70s bands. And some out of the way shit too, i saw this Rich Kids record. Had a copy of The Who Sellout for 700 quid, mental eh? And posters were even cooler, same kinda music. Saw some Dion in there, some cool punk stuff, loads of those little singley ones, 45s? Forgive me, i have zero knowledge about vinyl and records and all that stuff. Wish i did now though.

• Like 1

Picked up the Violent Femmes RSD release which I missed out on during the actual RSD. Really like all 4 tunes. Grabbed the latest Alabama Shakes record as well. Really, really like that album.

I love the Violent Femmes! Thats one band i got into by like, just browsing in a record store, liking the name and the cover of the album, buying it to try it out and loving it. Cool band.

• Like 1

Picked up my King's X-Gretchen Goes To Nebraska LP this morning. Came home to find my Poison-Swallow This Live double LP finally arrived. Tracking on all 3 Beatles Anthology volumes shows that they'll be here by Friday. Good week for records around here.

• Like 1

Picked up my King's X-Gretchen Goes To Nebraska LP this morning. Came home to find my Poison-Swallow This Live double LP finally arrived. Tracking on all 3 Beatles Anthology volumes shows that they'll be here by Friday. Good week for records around here.

Ordered the Kings X title this weekend. They are playing in Massachusetts in June in a very small BYOB venue. The venue is an old mill which only holds 280 people so I may bring the LP with me to see if I can get the cover signed by the band.

When I saw John Mayall there and he signed after the show as it is a small crowd so hoping this is the case with Kings X.

• Like 1

Ordered the Kings X title this weekend. They are playing in Massachusetts in June in a very small BYOB venue. The venue is an old mill which only holds 280 people so I may bring the LP with me to see if I can get the cover signed by the band.

When I saw John Mayall there and he signed after the show as it is a small crowd so hoping this is the case with Kings X.

They've been cool and signed tons of stuff for people each time I've seen them. I assume you'll have no problem whatsoever getting it signed.

Just got my latest batch of vinyl LP's

Rolling Stones- "Out of Our Heads" unboxed DECCA Mono 1st pressing
Rolling Stones- "Let It Bleed" unboxed DECCA Stereo 1st pressing
Rolling Stones- "It's Only Rock and Roll" British 1st pressing
The Cult- "Sonic Temple" still sealed
King X- "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" new 2LP vinyl release

Need 3 more Stones LP's to complete the studio collection up to and including Dirty Work. Then may work on getting all the mono pressings from the 60's but they are usually big $$$ even for average condition copy's

• Like 1

Need 3 more Stones LP's to complete the studio collection up to and including Dirty Work. Then may work on getting all the mono pressings from the 60's but they are usually big $$$ even for average condition copy's

My Stones collection (if you can call it that) is pretty terrible. I only have:

Love Is Strong 7"

Out Of Tears 7"

Doom And Gloom 10"

Hot Rocks 64-71

It's Only Rock N' Roll

Some Girls

Steel Wheels

I couldn't even begin to tell you which pressings I have of what. I'm assuming I could be having a far better Stones experience if I did a little digging into the better sounding pressings.

My Stones collection (if you can call it that) is pretty terrible. I only have:

Love Is Strong 7"

Out Of Tears 7"

Doom And Gloom 10"

Hot Rocks 64-71

It's Only Rock N' Roll

Some Girls

Steel Wheels

I couldn't even begin to tell you which pressings I have of what. I'm assuming I could be having a far better Stones experience if I did a little digging into the better sounding pressings.

To my ears the old British DECCA pressings are much better than the U.S. London pressings for the early stuff before they formed Rolling Stones Records. Even the older British DECCA reissues from the late 60's and early to late 70's are said to be superior to U.S. pressings and much cheaper than the 1st pressings.

here is a great site for Stones vinyl geeks like myself

http://stonesondecca.com/4A01_LK4605_Rolling_Stones.html

After I ordered those Beatles Anthology sets, I read a bunch of opinons online saying there's a ton of surface noise. They arrived the other day and I finally had the chance to play them last night. I played all 3 LPs of the latter 2 sets and didn't hear any surface noise whatsoever.

Picked these up the other day:

Jefferson Airplane - The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane

Conan O'Brien - Live At Third Man Records

Spin Doctors - Pocket Full Of Kryptonite

Veruca Salt - American Thighs

Gonna stop by later today and pick up the latest Florence + The Machine LP. I also ordered The Stones-Sticky Fingers from Target because they had it for a STEAL; $18 for the LP with the 2-CD version included. That should be here by the end of the week.