Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

4 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Just got my The Cult "Pure Cult" 4LP box set from Discogs and it looks unplayed. Going to be a fun weekend of vinyl listening...........

Nice. I finally pulled the trigger on the 2 Black Crowes live LPs. I think they're 2 LPs each, so that's a LOT of Crowes for me to jam! I got them from Amazon, so they'll be here in time for me to blast on Friday night.

50 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Nice. I finally pulled the trigger on the 2 Black Crowes live LPs. I think they're 2 LPs each, so that's a LOT of Crowes for me to jam! I got them from Amazon, so they'll be here in time for me to blast on Friday night.

Good score, I was looking at some of those Crowes Live LP's as well......I believe they are old radio shows so if the Radio show CD's I have been buying from Amazon UK for other bands are any indication I think they should sound fantastic .....let me know which ones you got and how they are as I love the Crowes and would love some live vinyl............ 

On 2/25/2016 at 7:55 PM, classicrawker said:

Good score, I was looking at some of those Crowes Live LP's as well......I believe they are old radio shows so if the Radio show CD's I have been buying from Amazon UK for other bands are any indication I think they should sound fantastic .....let me know which ones you got and how they are as I love the Crowes and would love some live vinyl............ 

I already bought the radio show from '91 from this label. This is a 2 volume set over 4 LPs that's a vinyl pressing of their official live album. 

They showed up today and I cannot wait to blast these tonight:
2lbc8dh.jpg

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I already bought the radio show from '91 from this label. This is a 2 volume set over 4 LPs that's a vinyl pressing of their official live album. 

They showed up today and I cannot wait to blast these tonight:
2lbc8dh.jpg

Nice! Look forward to your review on the quality...................How is the quality of the Radio show you bought and which one was it.............I am still looking for a live vinyl with the song Horsehead on it....I bought several instant live shows for $5 when they were having a sale but have never found a vinyl live with this song.

Here is a great version with Jimmy Page I have on bootleg CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCFwTwBzIw

Edited by classicrawker

Excuse the shitty picture, but this is my newest pickup...the repress of Circa Survive's debut album Juturna. Don't know if there's any fans of these guys on here, but this album sounds AMAZING on this pressing - tons of space between the guitars and lots of new clarity to the mix (I always thought it felt a little squashed and lifeless on the original).

12768400_10208188779895102_4480204120679

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 4:24 PM, classicrawker said:

Nice! Look forward to your review on the quality...................How is the quality of the Radio show you bought and which one was it.............I am still looking for a live vinyl with the song Horsehead on it....I bought several instant live shows for $5 when they were having a sale but have never found a vinyl live with this song.

Here is a great version with Jimmy Page I have on bootleg CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCFwTwBzIw

This is the radio show pressing I bought a while back:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Black-Crowes-Live-At-The-Greek-1991/release/7249022

It sounds decent, but I wouldn't tell anyone else to rush out and buy it.

As for the latest ones I bought, they sound EXCELLENT. 

Went down to Culture Clash Records in Toledo this morning, then hit my usual spot Dearborn Music on the way home. I picked up:

The 2nd and 3rd Kid Rock albums (the only ones I like)
A couple of Rich Robinson re-issues
The new Polica LP
The new Lake Street Dive LP
and the first Weird Al LP (the completist in me made me do it)

Going to get a new turntable (if that's the right word... a record player) for the first time ever. I used to use the old one from my dad but it died. And that was from the 80's. Any advice on what to get and what kind of features/brands/etc to look for? I basically know very little about this. I value good quality. My current amplifier supports HDMI or RCA input, no USB. I have not yet determined my price range, but let's stick with under 200 euro's for now. Any help is appreciated! 

Edited by username

4 hours ago, username said:

Going to get a new turntable for the first time ever. I used to use the old one from my dad but it died. And that was from the 80's. Any advice on what to get and what kind of features/brands/etc to look for? I basically know very little about this. I value good quality. My current amplifier supports HDMI or RCA input, no USB. I have not yet determined my price range, but let's stick with under 200 euro's for now. Any help is appreciated! 

a good starter would be a Pro-Ject turntable which comes with an Ortofon cartridge already installed but the least expensive model I have seen these sold for is $399 US. Just google Pro-Ject and you can see all the choices.

another way to go is look for a used  turntable like an old Technics or Dual brand unit which are solid  quality units as long as they have been gone over to make sure everything works. I am still using my Technics SL-1700MKII I bought in 1980. Those old Technics are built like tanks and there are plenty of them around at reasonable prices. It helps if they come with a cartridge installed as a decent one can set you back another $100.

Good luck nd let us know how you make out...

• Like 2

Finally went to one of the few small record shops out where I live and went a little crazy. The owner Joe is a nice guy has great prices and he is picky about what he sells so while some of the covers are a bit beat up all the vinyl I bought looked like new. He was a VP involved in Manufacturing when he quit to open his store 4 years ago......Really cool little shop and worth a visit if you are ever in Worcester, Mass....

https://www.joesalbums.com/

Bought the following

Woodstock I- 3LP original- Even though I have the Rhino 5 LP set due any day now I could not resist an original as I love the artwork and it was not expensive

Lynyrd Skynyrd- First and Last

Mahavishnu Orchestra- Birds Of Fire

Savoy Brown- Street Corner Talking

Dan Fogelberg- Captured Angel- an old college favorite the women loved

Professor Long Hair- House Party New Orleans Style: The Lost Sessions 1971–1972

Sun The Roots of Rock Volume 2 Sam's Blues- with  Howlin Wolf, Little Milton, Houston Baines

Robin Trower- Bridge of Sighs....going to see him next month

John Mayall- US Union with Harvey Mandel on guitar

John Mayall- The Turning Point

Sting- Nothing But The Sun album for the wife

Then went next door to a thrift shop and bought a dozen 78 LP's for a buck a piece to play on one of my Victrola's I own............ Love my Victrola's, just crank them up, open the doors and you have music with no electricity.......

All in all a fun day bargain hunting

Edited by classicrawker
sp

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Just got a bunch of 90's rap vinyl including...

very best of death row

all eyez on me

the chronic

efil4zaggin

straight outta compton

& eazy duz it

I've got a lot of good rap, most of which is 80s & 90s. Stuff ranging from 3rd Bass to Run DMC to Outkast to Kendrick Lamar, etc. We just spun most of All Eyez Of Me the other night and it sounds excellent. I have both The Chronic & The Chronic 2001 and they sound great as well.

As far as LPs, I had a Best Buy GC so I grabbed the Aerosmith Rock Donnington 3LP set and the latest Foo Fighters Saint Cecelia EP. I only had the chance to spin some of Aerosmith so far, but I liked the way it sounded. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've got a lot of good rap, most of which is 80s & 90s. Stuff ranging from 3rd Bass to Run DMC to Outkast to Kendrick Lamar, etc. We just spun most of All Eyez Of Me the other night and it sounds excellent. I have both The Chronic & The Chronic 2001 and they sound great as well.

As far as LPs, I had a Best Buy GC so I grabbed the Aerosmith Rock Donnington 3LP set and the latest Foo Fighters Saint Cecelia EP. I only had the chance to spin some of Aerosmith so far, but I liked the way it sounded. 

All Eyez On Me is a classic album, same as The Chronic.

Just received a original copy of Mountain "Twin Peaks' live album today. I know I have a copy buried up in our storage closet but I am sure it is pretty beat as I played this album to death back in the day...looking forward to cranking it this weekend

Edited by classicrawker

I thought about making a separate thread for this guy because I don't remember one being here, but anyway, who else likes Anderson Paak here? His album Malibu doesn't come out on vinyl til mid April (so I'll get it a week after I get the new Explosions in the Sky album :D) but I'm listening to it non-stop the last few days, especially live versions of the songs. For those who haven't seen yet:

(the end of the video is priceless)

(he jams David Bowie's 'Let's Dance' at the end, pretty awesome)