Michael Jackson

RussTCB

While I will defend MJ until the end of time, it makes no difference to me whether his music reached billions of listeners or just two. Obviously, his music reached absolute phenomenal status, but reaching an audience holds no importance to me. I'll listen to MJ, Yo-Yo Ma, Elvis, James Brown, etc. because I want to hear their music. As long as it entertains me, I don't give two shits whether it reaches another person or not. When music moves an entire audience, it is indeed something special, but when it has moved one individual person, it's done more than enough.

• Like 2

Ok you can go and worship at the alter of YoYo Ma's greatness. You and that 1 other person as you said.

While my friends and I will hang out with Prince, Stevie Wonder, and Paul McCartney.

Ok everyone, which party do you want to go to???? The one where everyone sits on their hands until it is "ok" to clap, or the one where everyone is singing along and having a great time????

Enjoy you snobfest my friend, cause I'm gonna be parting down with TRUE legends...

Ok you can go and worship at the alter of YoYo Ma's greatness. You and that 1 other person as you said.

While my friends and I will hang out with Prince, Stevie Wonder, and Paul McCartney.

Ok everyone, which party do you want to go to???? The one where everyone sits on their hands until it is "ok" to clap, or the one where everyone is singing along and having a great time????

Enjoy you snobfest my friend, cause I'm gonna be parting down with TRUE legends...

best post ever

don't forget to add joe elliott to your list of TRUE legends

:wow::headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

While I will defend MJ until the end of time, it makes no difference to me whether his music reached billions of listeners or just two. Obviously, his music reached absolute phenomenal status, but reaching an audience holds no importance to me. I'll listen to MJ, Yo-Yo Ma, Elvis, James Brown, etc. because I want to hear their music. As long as it entertains me, I don't give two shits whether it reaches another person or not. When music moves an entire audience, it is indeed something special, but when it has moved one individual person, it's done more than enough.

Exactly

I agree to a point. If I like something, then it doesn't matter to me either if other people do. But having said that, it is still entertainment, which was my point. If more people love you work, then you are the greater entertainer. It is a fucking popularity contest at the end of the day, sad but true. Take Zeppelin, so many people loved them, that the their greatness is felt because so many people loved them. You might find great musicans playing some bar or coffee shop, but they are not as good as Zeppelin because their music has not reached the amount of people. Because if their music was as good, then the audience would find them. Audiences ALLWAYS finds great artists. Sometimes not till they are dead, but it still finds them. Look at Picaso, he is a legned today, but didn't sell shit during his life. But in the end, the audience found him. Same goes for music. If indie or underground musicians are truly great, the audience WILL find them. I believe this to my soul, call me crazy, but I believe in great artists. So when you hear about supposed "great" artists that are virtual unkowns, if they are truly great they will not be unknown for long.

@Nature Boy,

Yes Joe Elliot can come to my party, but he's not allwoed to sing. :)

It's all good my friend.

More popular does and does not always equal better. When Beiber was popular was he better than Zeppelin, no. But when you add shelf life and longevity to the dicussion, then yes popluarity does factor into the equation. The Beatles have been popular for 50 years now, obviously they did something right. You have to be able to sustain that popularity for longer than a couple of years.

Edited by Mike420

Yo-Yo Ma's performance tributes at the 2011 Kennedy Center Honors...looks like more than 1 person appreciate and are moved by his incredible music ;)

and if you watch Zeppelin's Kennedy Center Honors tribute performances...when Heart and Jason Bonham are performing Stairway To Heaven, they cut to Yo-Yo in the audience and he is rocking out...he's not an elitist by any means...he's played with dozens and dozens and dozens of contemporary musicians throughout his career and still does...he also pushes boundaries of what music can be and chooses to challenge listeners....to say that's elitist is a falsehood....just because he's not commercially successful, or as commercially successful as platinum selling artists does not and should not take away anything from his talent and his affect on people, on musicians, on fans, on culture, on art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1-6jtWagpI

Something that's popular is in a space of time like 5 years. Longevity is rare.

Prince, McCartney, and Wonder all had shitty career phases. It's rare to find someone who has put consistently quality work out, and the ones who have, usually didn't put a lot of albums out.

I know that they peaks and valley's to their careers, but dispite that they still maintained a certain level of popularity, which that was my point. That's what seperates true legends from flash in the pan artists like Beiber or other artists of that vein. Look at Hansen they had a year or two of huge popularity, but then nothing. They are on the fast track for a "where are they now" type show. But true legends, like the ones I mentioned never have their popularity dip that low that nobody cares about them anymore. So they have managed to maintain a certain amount of credibility that people are always some what intereseted in what they are doing, they left their mark if you will. I don't think that type of popularity gets enough credit, it's more than a one shot deal. They left a mark so strong and enduring that no matter what happens, they still have a legion of fans. Hell look at us all, still hanging on to gnr after all of these years, thats gotta mean something.

• 2 months later...

Random question which one do you like more Ghost or Is it Scary? I like is it scary better.

Definitely Is It Scary. The lyrics are better and I like his attitude in the song.

This is the best part imo

I'm tired of being abused

You know you're scaring me too

I see the evil is you

Is it scary for you baby

Edited by RocketQueen1985

Random question which one do you like more Ghost or Is it Scary? I like is it scary better.

Definitely Is It Scary. The lyrics are better and I like his attitude in the song.

I see the evil is you

Is it scary for you baby

Likewise that ending puts it over the top/

I see the evil is you

Is it scary for you baby

It really does. It's a very underrated song of his. All the none remix songs on Blood On The Dancefloor are underrated really.

I see the evil is you

Is it scary for you baby

It really does. It's a very underrated song of his. All the none remix songs on Blood On The Dancefloor are underrated really.

Yeah the remixes are really good on that. Don't really know how I fell abut the Immortal remixes though.

Threatened and whatever happens are amazing. Unbreakable was awesome. It was a great record.

"Do you know where your children are?"

Is one of his best unreleased songs. It's not hard to see why it was not released though.

Written and Recorded in 1991 Also known as "12 O'Clock" Guitar performed by Slash Failed to make Dangerous Album Leaked Online in 2010.

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker

Is Invincible worth buying? I never bought it because everyone said it was 'shite.'

I have to disagree with the other posters, I do think it is shit. It is BY FAR his worst album. For me personally, his 70's Motown solo stuff is better than this album. I have tried to give a "fair shot". I even listened to it fairly recently, outside of You rock my world, I just can't get into it. Even that song is only holds my attention for so long. If MJ ever made a "bad" album, this one is it.

Invincible is probably his worst adult solo album. But it is still worth owning IMO. Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, You Rock My World, Heaven Can Wait, Speechless, You Are My Life, The Lost Children and Threatened are all enjoyable tracks.

Edited by Towelie

Is Invincible worth buying? I never bought it because everyone said it was 'shite.'

I have to disagree with the other posters, I do think it is shit. It is BY FAR his worst album. For me personally, his 70's Motown solo stuff is better than this album. I have tried to give a "fair shot". I even listened to it fairly recently, outside of You rock my world, I just can't get into it. Even that song is only holds my attention for so long. If MJ ever made a "bad" album, this one is it.

I'll have another go at it since people are name dropping songs that are good off it, but yeah I say shite.

Especially disappointing (personally) because HiSstory and the Blood On THe Dance Floor EP were brilliant, I was hoping he would continue along those lines.