True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

It will be a completely different story with all new cast members. This is all done now, sadly.

Yes and No.

I've read that the following seasons will be different stories, etc....but that eventually (possibly in much later seasons) that they may all tie in together somehow....for a much larger "conspiracy" so to speak. Like Marty and Rust alluded to....that "their part is done"....but that there is still a lot more out there that has yet to be solved.

If you think about it, that would fall perfectly inline with the "pulp fiction" genre that the show is based around. Several different storylines, characters, etc....that eventually tie in together to tell the complete story.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

A direct quote on the storyline of season two, from Nick Pizzolatto:

"I am still fleshing it out. The basic idea: Hard women, bad men, and the secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system. I was well on my way in the writing but there’s been a lot noise and work around the end of the first season that got in the way."

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/03/10/true-detective-post-mortem-creator-nic-pizzoletto-on-happy-endings-season-2-and-the-future-of-cohle-and-hart/

So it looks like season two will also be dealing with the occult. Leaving the door open for an eventual tie in to this season...and possible future seasons.

Other articles I've read basically state that Pizzolatto isn't sure if the seasons will tie in together....so who knows. He's also thinking of bringing back some of the actors from this seasons...BUT...as different characters.....whichever way he decides to go with it, seems like it will be entertaining nonetheless.

Edited by Kasanova King

It will be a completely different story with all new cast members. This is all done now, sadly.

Yes and No.

I've read that the following seasons will be different stories, etc....but that eventually (possibly in much later seasons) that they may all tie in together somehow....for a much larger "conspiracy" so to speak. Like Marty and Rust alluded to....that "their part is done"....but that there is still a lot more out there that has yet to be solved.

If you think about it, that would fall perfectly inline with the "pulp fiction" genre that the show is based around. Several different storylines, characters, etc....that eventually tie in together to tell the complete story.

That's awesome, I did not know that each one would connect.

As for future casting, i'd love for Pizzolatto to reach out to Naomi Watts, I think she'd fit perfect in a show like this. Her acting skills are superb and would shine.

You never know....rumor has it that the lead roles may both be female for season 2.... ;)...and I agree, she would be great in a show like this.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

That's awesome, I did not know that each one would connect.

That's not 100% confirmed...and from what I've read, Pizzolatto isn't sure of it either....but it seems that he may leave the door open for the possibility of future tie ins.

Well that sounds great anyways, I just hope the writing can stay top notch and the directing which seems to be getting overshadowed by the actors and writing.

• Like 1

I wonder if Cary Fukanaga will return to direct?

I recently saw his Sundance winner Sin Nombre. He's a total whiz kid, as we all know.

For awhile he was up to write and direct an adaptation of Stephen King's It. Looks like it might be lingering in development hell. He'd kill it, especially in an anthology format like this.

I wonder if Cary Fukanaga will return to direct?

I recently saw his Sundance winner Sin Nombre. He's a total whiz kid, as we all know.

For awhile he was up to write and direct an adaptation of Stephen King's It. Looks like it might be lingering in development hell. He'd kill it, especially in an anthology format like this.

According to everything I've read, he's done with the show for the time being. He said something along the lines of "he's made his mark" on True Detective and it's time for someone else to takeover....and he warned that it was a "marathon". (Basically, he said that it was a lot of work....the equivalent of directing an 8 hour film)

Edited by Kasanova King

I liked the ending. Didn't love it - but I liked it. I'm going to give it another watch but I think my problem might have been that the third act is such a huge departure from the first two. I guess the clues were meant to be misleading but some of them were front and centre and ultimately contributed nothing to the plot - the stuff with Audrey especially. Some of the scenes in the finale just felt off too. That scene with Marty and his family in the hospital felt like a dream sequence. It was fucking bizarre. The giant star portal thing Rust sees is much too convenient to just explain away as PTSD hallucinations - because then what purpose does it serve? As a cheap plot device to distract Rust so he can get stabbed? He seems to be attuned to the darkness somehow (This is the place) so the show kind of hints at a supernatural element without ever really committing.

Rust Cohle ascends from his personal darkness and realises life is not meaningless. Essentially that's what the show was about. I'm not really sure how I feel about that just yet. I do know one thing - without the outstanding actors and director Pizzolatto had at his disposal, the weaknesses in the writing would have been much more evident. And because of that I doubt season 2 will ever reach the heights that this did(Cary Fukunaga isn't returning either.)

• Like 1

I really don't think this story is complete. The story of rust and Marty is, but I think we'll find out more about the cult in future seasons. There's just too much peculiar stuff they left ambiguous and if they're doing future seasons I refuse to believe they won't go back to it.

There's also talks about multiple directors. Bring David Lynch in for a season and have your mind blown. Would be a dream come true for Wasted and I as far as theories go :lol:

They'd probably say they were bringing in Lynch for 7 weeks then settle for Sam Mendes.

has anyone read Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto. It has the same blend of characters, can see where Rust comes from, maybe no yellow kind haven't got that far into it. closer to Lehane I don't know.

• Like 1

Hopefully wasted will keep his theories in his head for Season 2. I don't know what this show did to him but it sure brought out his inner madness .

If you don't know me by now..

I think season 2 has a problem in that with no Booze brothers it wont be as much fun and there will be no tension about who did it.

Finally got around to watching the finale tonight. I thought it was a fitting ending; perhaps the most emotional episode of the season.

I get what people are saying regarding unanswered questions, it's not as though the show was completely innocent in provoking certain questions. But with one episode left, I think this was the kind of ending the show needed. For the most absurd to the simplest theories to be proven true, the final episode would have needed another hour or two. In many ways, Rust sort of represented the audience in this episode - upset at not uncovering more, seeing things that didn't exist, "gutted" by the ending (excuse the pun). In the end, the story of Audrey had little to do with the crimes; she was merely a vessel for how Marty's work and personal life affect (or infect) the lives of his family. Marty's family life was a mirror of the life Rust didn't have; the damage incurred by the job was projected outwardly by Marty while Rust projected it inward at himself.

Also think people are sort of overreacting to how Marty figured out the lead that brought them to Errol. Things are only obvious after the fact. If, while watching this show, you were coming up with crazy theories to explain the crimes (Maggie is involved, Marty is the killer, Rust is the Yellow King), you're not really in any position to judge Marty or Rust for not seeing something that should be a little more obvious. They were dealing with occult imagery, sacrifices, guys wearing animal heads, voodoo figurines; it's no surprise that Rust thinks the green ears are likely leaves worn by the killer as part of a mask or ritual. We all saw more than what was really there; something that Marty mentions at least once or twice. To think that the protagonists aren't susceptible to the same looms of imagination is a little hypocritical.

The show was always about the relationship between the two detectives; the murder plot was secondary. This makes sense to me, as my favourite scenes rarely ever involved the detective work but the interactions between Rust and Marty. Even in the finale, the scenes that resonated the most for me were Rust and Marty talking about their pasts; one dealing with Rust sleeping with Maggie and the other, the final scene with Rust demonstrating tangible grief. For those who got caught up in mystery of it all (which I include myself), I think a second viewing with what the show is meant to be will yield a more positive experience than perhaps the first run through.

Edited by downzy

When Nic Pizzolatto wrote the script, he filled it with so much symbolism. If you got ahold of all the scripts and broke them down, there’s even more symbolism than I think a lot of readers are aware of. When I was reading the scripts, I had to look certain things up to fully understand what was going on in this show.

All that symbolism can be misinterpreted. On the one hand they want us to believe the objective truth of their story. But then they want us to believe stuff like Tuttle's schools were feeder schools or Childress did such and such because Geraci said so. There's no proof of that in the show. There's no such thing as a true story. They want the show to be like a religion. We have go along with a lot of stuff they say is true for it to exist for them.