True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

I watch each ep 3 times. It's kind of filmed like Fincher would.

I thought so, too. Some people are getting a Twin Peaks vibe from it but IMO this is nothing like Lynch's work.

A number of styles I've gotten: Zodiac, Horsemen, Silence of the Lambs, JFK

Shit, there's not many movies and shows I can watch multiple times, but this fits the bill. The camera work alone is enough. Things like the shot of the broken taillight at the end of the last episode showing that Rust never bothered fixing it after throwing Marty into it years earlier. Fun stuff!

On one hand I liked that, but on the other hand, you're telling me he hasn't gotten pulled over for that after all these years?! :lol:

Shit, there's not many movies and shows I can watch multiple times, but this fits the bill. The camera work alone is enough. Things like the shot of the broken taillight at the end of the last episode showing that Rust never bothered fixing it after throwing Marty into it years earlier. Fun stuff!

On one hand I liked that, but on the other hand, you're telling me he hasn't gotten pulled over for that after all these years?! :lol:

Nearly every time they drive somebody pops a pill or necks a drink - so I suspect they might get away with a faulty light. :lol:

I mean, Rust had just drank something like 4 beers.

Edited by NGOG

Nearly every time they drive somebody pops a pill or necks a drink - so I suspect they might get away with a faulty light. :lol:

I see what you're saying. The beers are different though.

This was just a little thing of continuity that logically and lawfully didn't make sense for me :lol:

Does anybody else think Marty and Rust made a huge mistake when they abandoned the grass-cutter to get Reggie? I'm thinking we'll see a lot more of the grass-cutter in the final two episodes. He's definitely a Yellow King crony.

I see what you're saying. The beers are different though.

This was just a little thing of continuity that logically and lawfully didn't make sense for me :lol:

I've noticed for the most part we give Rust n Marty a pass , we are kind of blind to the bad things they do. Marty is a piece of shit. Rust is a primo alcoholic and drug user who fucked Martys wife. Marty is kind of part of the cover up, able to look the other way even when his family is in danger.

What was that Rust comment putting down a down payment about. Turned out to be true.

The biggest give away was Rust telling the SIDs girls to kill her self. Then a lot of the others killed themselves.

Like why show us that SIDS scene or even the other one. Why have suicides connected like this?

Does anybody else think Marty and Rust made a huge mistake when they abandoned the grass-cutter to get Reggie? I'm thinking we'll see a lot more of the grass-cutter in the final two episodes. He's definitely a Yellow King crony.

He's green eyed monster with spaghetti hair with scars on his face.

The biggest give away was Rust telling the SIDs girls to kill her self.

They want you to reluctantly suspect Rust - that's the narrative.

Rust telling the woman to kill herself is just part of his conviction. Don't forget, this is somebody who lost his baby; and through the pain created by such a loss, he also lost his marriage. He can't fathom the idea of consciously taking away a baby's life. He treats people as adults, he will inform them of the reality of their actions instead of comforting them with religious jargon. His attitude is "why do they deserve anything other than the truth of their actions"? Why should he tell them everything is going to be OK?

He's green eyed monster with spaghetti hair with scars on his face.

If you look at this Sunday's teaser, the Yellow King is depicted as having green ears. Perhaps that ties in with the grass-cutter?

Edited by NGOG

If you consider the 1895 book of short-stories, the Yellow King is a reoccurring theme. On that basis, it's fairly certain that Rust and Marty never reach a position where they can relay their findings (and blow the circle wide open). In my view, Rust and Marty will get tantalizingly close to the Yellow King incarnate, but they will die in doing so. They will see something though - perhaps a number of hooded figures revealing their true identity and looking coy (because Rust and Marty know them - everyone they thought they knew were part of it all along). A powerful still would be a dead Rust and Marty, but they look like they know. As Rust said, you're only truly fulfilled when you learn to let go.

In those stories from what I read the King in Yellow is a book they read which either makes them commit crimes or a monster comes for them.

It's just how is iit deployed in TD. Is it a book or just meeting the Yellow King in person. You could imagine a writer thinking ok so it's like a evil book a cult gets and holds ceremonies which turn all these people crazy. But then they kill themselves.

That would explain the suicides, they've seen the Yellow King.

Once you see the terrible truth in the Yellow King, the truth of human nature it sends you to insanity. You see time is a flat circle. You are in Carcossa. The black stars fall.

Question is or has Rust flown too close to the flame. Or do you actually need to see the book or take part in a ceremony sacrifice etc. to really go crazy.

In those stories from what I read the King in Yellow is a book they read which either makes them commit crimes or a monster comes for them.

As you say, The Yellow King is a play which makes people go insane. I doubt they are directly adapting that concept. The Yellow King probably derives from something else like crystal meth. I can't see the Yellow King being a living person.

Many people have pointed out the possible clue in the promo poster:

c8ff53f8-deae-4fed-a397-f529d804555c_TD1

Marty's hair.

Edited by NGOG

But wouldn't you say Rusts anger is misdirected as the ones doing those things are victims of the yellow king? Maybe doesn't believe in the yellow king. To him he just spouts that stuff to get a reaction. He's just a driven true detective.

But you see how his words are exactly what was said to the guy who killed himself in the cell. It could just as easily be a double bluff. Like they want us to think its just to make us think that but he actually is.

I'm not really sure the Yellow king exists as a person. It's a force the possesses people who then meet their demise. Like la Doux or the guy in the cell, the SIDS girl.

Rust maybe a non believer but when they come face to face with it who knows.

I think they will take down the cult but see that the yellow king is real and unstoppable. Which could be taken in season 2. This kind of thing happens everywhere. Maybe politicians higher up know and use it to control the masses. Illuminati and shit.

I just realized something. When they're going to take down Ledoux, Rust asks Marty if he's ever hunted before. Marty says he'd taken down a ten-point buck. The antlers!?

As you say, The Yellow King is a play which makes people go insane. I doubt they are directly adapting that concept. The Yellow King probably derives from something else like crystal meth. I can't see the Yellow King being a living person.

Many people have pointed out the possible clue in the promo poster:

c8ff53f8-deae-4fed-a397-f529d804555c_TD1

Marty's hair.

You mean like Fight Club personality split. It's called True Detective. Not True Detectives. The two detectives have similar looks. It's like two blonde country boys.

Rust is Marty on a rip doing some real police work.

I think McC did say he loved the character or Rust though.

I think they won't be a Yellow King person. Maybe that church guy will get killed like la Doux so the police can claim the case was solved. But Rust and Marty will know this is a force that can't be solved. Filling us all with dread, and making season 2 possible. The yellow King is like the mcguffin. The search for answers will continue!

I just realized something. When they're going to take down Ledoux, Rust asks Marty if he's ever hunted before. Marty says he'd taken down a ten-point buck. The antlers!?

They didn't call for back up either. They were out to kill la Doux. It's like they know whatever he's going to say. They were hunting? Rust isn't really surprised by what la Doux is saying either.

I think that's why the show is shorter than some. They can't keep this web going too long. You can only keep it straight so it makes sense for so long.

Also look at the cops interviewing Rust and Marty. They are either right about Rust being the killer or part of the cult.

The tail light still being broken also suggests no time has passed for the Rust personality of Marty. He just goes back to his storage space and gets back in his beat up truck. The cops really should have searched Rusts storage space lol

Edited by wasted

I think Marty has been possessed by the Yellow King or is the Yellow King. But Rust is his yellow king self?

The detectives interview Marty and rust in the same room?

In The King is Yellow there are 4 characters 3 guys and woman. Rust, Marty, Theriot and Maggie will be the cult maybe. Those three put on ski masks and storm the Tuttles house looking for the pic or the book?

What are those marks on the SIDS girl forehead. Look like ceremony markings.

I reckon it will play out pretty simple. No trickery!

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Touch Darkness and Darkness touches you back.

When Pizzolatto talked about the season 2 he said that True detective could also mean honorable or authentic detective. So I think this show is more the Truth (the True) about Detectives is they are fucked up, have to live double lives in many way. They can't really be perfect and look at all this horribleness they have to. They need a hooker and some drugs more than most. Some warmed up spaghetti and some reality tv isn't going to cut it. They need some bourbon and a cult to make it through the day.

Without me, there is no you. - Rust to Marty

Edited by wasted

Rustin: I'd consider myself a realist, alright? But in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everbody's nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing. Walk hand in hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

Maybe Rustin was just playing with us.

The Yellow King is wasted.

I re-watched eps 1-3 and a detail I picked up is that Billy Lee Tuttle's cousin is the the Guvenor of the area, Edwin Tuttle. Which is kind of next level up in power.

What really struck me was that he kids drew that mural of the antlers in that burned down church. And Marty's kid drew pics of what look like the spaghetti haired guy.

The fact that Rust came out of deep undercover narc work makes me wonder how messed up is he. Why is he working this case when he's hallucinating and shit.

The other thing was that Rust's take on his child's death was kind of creepy. Like she got lucky, she didn't have grow up into this shit world. very Catcher in the Rye.