True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

why show Marty just another brutal murder.

Why not show Marty's daughter being abused prior to the closure of the school? That's the only way to motivate his participation in solving the Yellow King mystery. Then again, surely the video would have to depict recent Yellow King activity? Otherwise Marty may maintain they got him.

The show seems to be inspired - in terms of the tiered mystery - to Oliver Stone's JFK.

Edited by NGOG

That could be a good guess. I'm more inclined to believe he's watching something heinous happening (like a brutal murder or sexual assault), but it doesn't necessarily involve a family member. If something were to be happening to his family in that video, I would expect him to be more upset and livid than this clip reveals. The way he says, "God" after yelling no, it's more of a "too much to watch" kind of reaction than a "I'm going to kill whoever did this to my family" kind of thing. Then again, as I've said many times, I could be way off on this.

Then again, there's a quality of despair. And I'd imagine that's the type of tone you'd take if problems were right under your nose and you ignored it.

That's a good point, in that Marty continually stresses the point how he should have been more attentive, paid more attention at home.

We know that Maggie is still alive, but we don't know what's happened since his daughters (particularly the rebellious one) since 2002. So perhaps something happened between that time and the present that hasn't be revealed to the viewer.

At the same time, if something had happened to his daughter, you would think that the two detectives currently looking to Rust's activities would have brought it up in their interview with either Marty or Maggie.

Perhaps the victim is one of Marty's former mistresses. Guess we'll see in a few days.

Why not show Marty's daughter being abused prior to the closure of the school? That's the only way to motivate his participation in solving the Yellow King mystery. Then again, surely the video would have to depict recent Yellow King activity? Otherwise Marty may maintain they got him.

The show seems to be inspired - in terms of the tiered mystery - to Oliver Stone's JFK.

Weren't the schools shut down in the late 80s/early 90s? If that's the case, Marty's daughters wouldn't have been old enough to attend. Unless, perhaps, they attended one of Tuttle's ministries (like the one Rust visited in the last episode). Maggie did say that Marty had found God during this period. But I would assume that the oldest daughter was likely too old to accept being sent to a Christian school with rigid standards.

We know that Maggie is still alive, but we don't know what's happened since his daughters (particularly the rebellious one) since 2002. So perhaps something happened between that time and the present that hasn't be revealed to the viewer.

Very interesting point. Maybe this is only something that's been uncovered by Rust during his personal investigations (and the cop interviewers have no knowledge of it). That may explain why he's taken so heavily to the booze.

Think about the shady looking jeep Audrey got out of.

Could it be possible that in order to get closer to the ring, Rust pretended to be interested in abusing children?

Edited by NGOG

Very interesting point. Maybe this is only something that's been uncovered by Rust during his personal investigations (and the cop interviewers have no knowledge of it). That may explain why he's taken so heavily to the booze.

Could it be possible that in order to get closer to the ring, Rust pretended to be interested in abusing children?

Something tells me no on your last point. I can't see Rust crossing that line. Especially since he told that one woman who murdered her three kids to kill herself. Then again, a lot has happened since 2002 and 2012 that we're not privy to. If something happened to Marty's kids, I would have thought the cops would have brought it up in their interview. Unless it's something that neither the cops, nor Marty or Maggie, know about.

It's a fun show to think about and predict.

Something tells me no on your last point. I can't see Rust crossing that line.

If something happened to Marty's kids, I would have thought the cops would have brought it up in their interview.

Time has passed, Rust may have become desperate to penetrate the secrecy of the ring (and thus ultimately prevent any more innocents from being abused).

As I said in my last post, it would seem the video Rust is showing Marty is something he secured during his own investigations.

I think Stone used detective story narrative structure. I keep thinking Marty is Mickey from Natural Born Killers. This was the pre production clue. As Woody auditioned even had the part of Rust. But McC Auditioned for Marty but liked the Rust role. But it leads me to think Rust is the Mickey serial killer.

I think any hard evidence will get Marty on board. Why Rust has the same philosophy as la Doux is beyond me though.

Is that guy with the moustache in that trailer Maggie? My stream isn't very smooth.

It's the picture of the school kids at that Tuttle school with two heads erased that made me think Marty has two kids.

Something tells me no on your last point. I can't see Rust crossing that line. Especially since he told that one woman who murdered her three kids to kill herself. Then again, a lot has happened since 2002 and 2012 that we're not privy to. If something happened to Marty's kids, I would have thought the cops would have brought it up in their interview. Unless it's something that neither the cops, nor Marty or Maggie, know about.

It's a fun show to think about and predict.

It does seem like its building up to a point where Rust will get Marty back on board but the institutional cover up will continue so they have to go rogue in the last episode to take down the yellow king. A repeat of ep 4 is coming.

it's gonna be either woody harrelson or woody's wife

Holy shit, now there's a prediction I can get behind. She says something during her interview which indicates that she is of superior intelligence to the men in her life - can't remember the exact quote.

• Like 1

if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

The other one he got a confession out of killed himself too. Someone called him. Each episode seems like a repeat of the last. There are no answers here.

Didn't the ex-preacher drink himself to death too?

Holy shit, now there's a prediction I can get behind. She says something during her interview which indicates that she is of superior intelligence to the men in her life - can't remember the exact quote.
I've spent my life trying to fathom the actions of crude men who think they are intelligent?

Beth also seemed under the spell of the yellow king. The universe forgives all, want some bourbon?

I will streak around the block if it turns out to be Marty's wife. There has been nothing in this show that would lead anyone to suspect Maggie. If Maggie is involved in the killing (especially prostitutes), don't you think the women Marty had been sleeping with behind her back would find their untimely demise?

Sorry, absolutely reaching on this one.

Edited by downzy

if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

The other one he got a confession out of killed himself too. Someone called him. Each episode seems like a repeat of the last. There are no answers here.
Didn't the ex-preacher drink himself to death too?
David Farrar I think.

I will streak around the block if it turns out to be Marty's wife. There has been nothing in this show that would lead anyone to suspect Maggie. If Maggie is involved in the killing (especially prostitutes), don't you think the women Marty had been sleeping with behind her back would find their untimely demise?

do we know that they aren't dead?

I think any hard evidence will get Marty on board. Why Rust has the same philosophy as la Doux is beyond me though.

First, who's to say whether that is truly Rust's philosophy. Perhaps he thew that out there to gauge the detectives reaction. Remember he's convinced that the cover-up is wide and deep. It may have been a test.

Second, even if that is Rust's philosophy, it is a rather morally neutral one. If we are all essentially frozen in time, destined to do the same thing over and over again, perhaps Rust's objection to people like Ledoux or the woman he tells to kill herself is that they choose a path that brings eternal misery. To believe that time is a disc (or whatever it is) does not necessarily translate into one becoming evil or doing bad things.

Didn't say she was the Yellow King, but I'm intrigued by the notion that she may be part of the cult. As I said, she made a very bizarre comment during her interview which Wasted just posted.

Why was she remorseful about cheating on Marty - expressing how much it would hurt him - only to coldy put it in blunt terms to Marty himself? It's very possible they will turn the programme on its head by revealing Maggie - the only person of any notable warmth - to be part of the ring.

do we know that they aren't dead?

No, but we can safely presume that the first girl Marty was sleeping with didn't die between 1995 and 2002. Since that time frame is generally well-covered, one would assume that if she had died during this period the audience would have known about it.

First, who's to say whether that is truly Rust's philosophy. Perhaps he thew that out there to gauge the detectives reaction. Remember he's convinced that the cover-up is wide and deep. It may have been a test.

The show represents how people are constantly evaluating things. Think about the scene where they ask Maggie about Rust's outlook and whether she disagrees. She replies "Less and less".

That may be why Rust expressed Reggie's remark. He's trying to rationalize it.

Didn't say she was the Yellow King, but I'm intrigued by the notion that she may be part of the cult. As I said, she made a very bizarre comment during her interview which Wasted just posted.

Why was she remorseful about cheating on Marty - expressing how much it would hurt him - only to coldy put it in blunt terms to Marty himself? It's very possible they will turn the programme on its head by revealing Maggie - the only person of any notable warmth - to be part of the ring.

Anything is possible with this show, but the story will take a serious hit if either Marty, Maggie or Rust are revealed to be complicit in the murders without a hell of an explanation.

I think you guys are reading way too much into her comment about dealing with crude men who thought they were clever (not intelligent, as Wasted mentions). I took that as she's done with men who can't see the forest from the trees, who get caught up in their own bullshit.

My read of her remorse in that scene had more to do with duping Rust than feeling bad for Marty. She just wanted to get back at Marty and find a way to get him out of her life. She knew fucking Rust would do it, but it would hurt both Rust and Rust's relationship with her husband.