True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

I called Russ as the killer during the very first scene at the crime. I even have a witness.

Hope I was wrong though.

no way he's the killer

it's too obvious

it's gonna be either woody harrelson or woody's wife

Woody's character doesn't seem clever or literary enough. I agree Russ is obvious, but have we met another truly viable suspect yet?

I called Russ as the killer during the very first scene at the crime. I even have a witness.

Hope I was wrong though.

no way he's the killer

it's too obvious

Woody's character doesn't seem clever or literary enough. I agree Russ is obvious, but have we met another truly viable suspect yet?

that's why it's perfect...

his family seems immersed in the cult..his daughter playing barbies and having them positioned in the same way as the statues russ found in the school...the sexually explicit drawings and behavior...marty's lapses into momentary insanity....

that's my theory and i'm sticking to it...until the finale and it gets blown to bits!

but let me have my fun while it lasts!!!

Great episode, but my opinion of this show will take a massive hit if Russ turns out to be the killer.

At this point the insinuation of Russ's culpability seems more like a red herring.

The problem with having Russ turn out to be the killer is how the show has emphasized Russ's independent investigations into the crime(s). Why retrace his investigation footsteps if he's the killer? The final scene of this episode - Russ finding the drawings and "sculptures" at the abandoned school - would betray any attempt, in my opinion at least, of him having anything to do with the killings.

If Russ is the killer, why were those twig sculptures located at Reggie's shack?

I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that Russ is still a detective and is still investigating the case, but few people know about it. The show is called "True Detective," after all.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 2

Great episode, but my opinion of this show will take a massive hit if Russ turns out to be the killer.

At this point the insinuation of Russ's culpability seems more like a red herring.

The problem with having Russ turn out to be the killer is how the show shown his own independent investigations into the crime(s). Why retrace his investigation footsteps if he's the killer? The final scene of this episode - Russ finding the drawings and "sculptures" at the abandoned school - would betray any attempt, in my opinion at least, of him having anything to do with the killings.

If Russ is the killer, why were those twig sculptures located at Reggie's shack?

I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that Russ is still a detective and is still investigating the case, but few people know about it. The show is called "True Detective," after all.

yes, i agree....russ will be the "true detective"...i think marty or his family/in-laws are heavily involved in the cult and one of them will be the killer...

Hope I was wrong though.

no way he's the killer

it's too obvious

She can kill me anyway.

Well they haven't wasted any money on suspects.

Hope I was wrong though.

no way he's the killer

it's too obvious

Yeah that's why this whole thing is throwing me for a loop. I've even tried to think that it could be Woody's character but it just doesn't fit.

The problem with having Russ turn out to be the killer is how the show shown his own independent investigations into the crime(s). Why retrace his investigation footsteps if he's the killer? The final scene of this episode - Russ finding the drawings and "sculptures" at the abandoned school - would betray any attempt, in my opinion at least, of him having anything to do with the killings.

yes, i agree....russ will be the "true detective"...i think marty or his family/in-laws are heavily involved in the cult and one of them will be the killer...

Marty doesn't fit for me at this point. He's too emotional, wears his vices on his sleeve. Not bright enough to outwit Russ for years. Maggie would certainly be interesting, but it feels like a considerable stretch.

Marty doesn't fit for me at this point. He's too emotional, wears his vices on his sleeve. Not bright enough to outwit Russ for years. Maggie would certainly be interesting, but it feels like a considerable stretch.

I highly doubt the "killer" (or killers) is any of the main characters. The show has included a few notable actors (Clarke Peters from The Wire and Shea Williams from Boardwalk Empire) who could be a factor. Right now the IMDB profile for the show only lists them as appearing in one episode, but perhaps they don't want to ruin anything by including future episodes in the listing.

Again, just a theory of mine that's probably wrong. But like other great shows (i.e. Breaking Bad), TD is making it difficult to predict the ending. Right now my guess as to what happened between Rust and Martin has something to do with Rust and Maggie.

Looking forward to the last three episodes. I'm slightly envious of those people who are waiting for the season to wrap up before watching. The waiting between episodes is killing me.

lol Maggie.

I think it's just some scumfag. The Yellow King. Someone we haven't seen yet.

Or that priest with the awful sideburns.

I keep going back to Dora Lange's mother's place. Remember there was that picture of the girl being surrounded by masked men on a horse? Weren't they all different colours? I'd guess that Ledoux was part of that group (maybe even in the picture), but that there were others involved.

You guys know it's Rust, not Russ, right.... :awesomeface:

Also, anyone catch some of the holes in the last episode? Like, where the hell did Rust get that AK-47? And what happened to Ginger in the back of Rust's truck??? :lol:

Yeah, made the mistake in my first post on the last episode, fixed in all my subsequent posts. Weird name for a character. I suppose it's short for Rusty?

I think some of the holes in the backstory are intentional, as they are indicative of how the two lead characters are perhaps not the most reliable in getting their stories straight. How much of the backstory can we believe?

Though, I guess one could argue that Rust found the AK at Ledoux's place. It never actually shows him finding it, but you do see him return with it after he checks out Martin's grisly find.

As for Ginger, wasn't he in the cab and not the back/bed? I suppose nobody saw him since no one would be searching Rust's vehicle.

Good catches though.

Also, anyone catch some of the holes in the last episode? Like, where the hell did Rust get that AK-47? And what happened to Ginger in the back of Rust's truck??? :lol:

I thought it was, but the posts above mine said Russ. I'm easily influenced.

• Like 1

The writer/creator of this show is a goddamn genius. But I don't know how he's going to tell another story this good in upcoming seasons. Hope he actually has shit planned, and isn't just pulling a Lost on us.

There isn't much of a story so far. It's a basic police procedural. But it has great characters, dialogue and very filmic direction. Only in the night club did it start to look like a bad TV movie.

It's possible they never find the killer. Like Zodiac the TV series. I mean they are interviewing the two detectives about it as if they didn't find the guy.

If they found out it was Rust would he be sitting there telling them a story pounding beers?

Maybe the interviews are just half time though.

Edited by wasted

Sorry, it's just that I associate potential mass murdering psychopaths with MyGNR posters. :P

I think Rust said something about dropping Ginger off in a ditch, didn't he?

The writer/creator of this show is a goddamn genius. But I don't know how he's going to tell another story this good in upcoming seasons. Hope he actually has shit planned, and isn't just pulling a Lost on us.

There isn't much of a story so far. It's a basic police procedural. But it has great characters, dialogue and very filmic direction. Only in the night club did it start to look like a bad TV movie.

It's possible they never find the killer. Like Zodiac the TV series. I mean they are interviewing the two detectives about it as if they didn't find the guy.

If they found out it was Rust would he be sitting there telling them a story pounding beers?

Maybe the interviews are just half time though.

Well, they obviously suspect Rust. They just don't have any hard evidence, so they brought him in for questioning under the guise of a consultation.

My prediction: The next few episodes will lead us to be certain of Rust's innocence, and in the finale Marty will confront Rust at gunpoint with the other two detectives. Rust will then convince Marty of his innocence and Marty will turn on the detectives. Then Rust will kill Marty and it will turn out he was the killer all along.

Edited by Broskirose

Yeah, made the mistake in my first post on the last episode, fixed in all my subsequent posts. Weird name for a character. I suppose it's short for Rusty?

I think some of the holes in the backstory are intentional, as they are indicative of how the two lead characters are perhaps not the most reliable in getting their stories straight. How much of the backstory can we believe?

Though, I guess one could argue that Rust found the AK at Ledoux's place. It never actually shows him finding it, but you do see him return with it after he checks out Martin's grisly find.

As for Ginger, wasn't he in the cab and not the back/bed? I suppose nobody saw him since no one would be searching Rust's vehicle.

Good catches though.

Yeah it's short for Rusty. I was under the assumption he grabbed the AK at Ledoux's place too but never actually showed it.

Also.... how about the figures Rust is carving out of the beer cans while he's being interviewed by the detectives? Symbolism with the twig figures maybe? Maybe i'm stretching, I dunno.

I'm sure they want a season 2. So cliffhanger we don't find out kind of ting.

Thing is, after this season we have a whole new cast supposedly so I think it has to wrap up in 3 episodes.

He told Marty that he dropped of Ginger in a ditch and that Automatic probably belonged to La Due... If they have hand grenade traps all over the place I'm sure they would keep some guns too, wouldn't you think?

No "holes" there. No way either Marty or Rust is the killer.

Edited by CheapJon
  • Like 1