True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

There's no way Rust is the killer. He's been AWOL for ten years looking for the killer!

Most likely. Remember Marty's comment to the cops interviewing them: "if you didn't get a read on rust, he certainly did get a read on you".

someone caught this. should be something.. rust subtly references something from an earlier episode wit his "beer can men". following link could be a spoiler:

http://imgur.com/r/TrueDetective/LirPg6f

I don't know why I look for clues on the internet, I should let it unfold by itself while watching the episodes. Damn my curisoty.

• Like 1

You guys know it's Rust, not Russ, right.... :awesomeface:

Also, anyone catch some of the holes in the last episode? Like, where the hell did Rust get that AK-47? And what happened to Ginger in the back of Rust's truck??? :lol:

Yeah, made the mistake in my first post on the last episode, fixed in all my subsequent posts. Weird name for a character. I suppose it's short for Rusty?

I think some of the holes in the backstory are intentional, as they are indicative of how the two lead characters are perhaps not the most reliable in getting their stories straight. How much of the backstory can we believe?

Though, I guess one could argue that Rust found the AK at Ledoux's place. It never actually shows him finding it, but you do see him return with it after he checks out Martin's grisly find.

As for Ginger, wasn't he in the cab and not the back/bed? I suppose nobody saw him since no one would be searching Rust's vehicle.

Good catches though.

Yeah it's short for Rusty. I was under the assumption he grabbed the AK at Ledoux's place too but never actually showed it.

Also.... how about the figures Rust is carving out of the beer cans while he's being interviewed by the detectives? Symbolism with the twig figures maybe? Maybe i'm stretching, I dunno.

I'm sure they want a season 2. So cliffhanger we don't find out kind of ting.

Thing is, after this season we have a whole new cast supposedly so I think it has to wrap up in 3 episodes.

So each season is a new case. No McC or Woody in the next season?

Each ep is like a mini movie so it's hard to say what will happen.

I guess it's La doux or whoever a in the credit montage.

Maybe it's the girls.

This comment made me wonder if the killer(s) are not member of some sort of church/cult/following and that its members strike a different times. If that's the case, then Ledoux was most likely a member and there are most likely others.

I keep thinking back to the second episode, when Rust and Martin are interviewing Lange's mother. Rust sees this picture:

Screenshot_2014_02_19_01_37_25.png

It could be a red herring (I feel like this show has lots of them), but it is shown twice, with the camera slowly zooming in on the picture the second time Rust checks it out.

I'm still sticking with my theory that Rust has gone off the grid to continue the investigation. There is already precedent for him running investigations on his own, perhaps he's been fully committed to this one (notice how he commends Martin when Martin shoots Ledoux in the head for finally committing to something).

Rightfully or wrongly, he could be under the impression that this group casts a wide net, with membership including prominent figures (wild speculation on my part).

The issue Rust has is whether his premonitions are leading him down the right path.

Even if they somehow managed to completely fuck up the remaining episodes, these first 5 will go down in TV history. Like Twin Peaks. Except Twin Peaks kind of sucked.

809343.gif

This. Granted, it unraveled terribly after the central mystery was solved, and Lynch lost interest. But up to that point, it was magnificent and and the subsequent golden age of television would be a lot poorer without it's influence.

Edited by Angelica

I will admit that season 2 had a lot of "filler" moments and episodes, but it still had that Lynch mystique that I love and will always remain as one of my favorite shows of all time. What can I say, he's definitely my favorite writer/director. Some people love his stuff, some hate it.

A shame he isn't working on any projects right now, I think I might have a heart attack over some fresh Lynch material.

I'll be very surprised if "Rust is the killer" is not a red herring. They've been hinting at that from the beginning and the show seems to be much too smart to let that be the entire mystery. If I was to guess I would say Marty's wife/her dad are involved. The last episode further perpetuated the idea that Marty's infidelity and his job has messed up his daughter, painting his wife as the innocent party but I don't know - I think they could turn that on its head.

Also I couldn't help but feel that in Rust's speech about time he was explaining to the detectives exactly what each and every one of them are - fictional characters in a television show. A flat disc observed repeatedly from a different dimension? It's a DVD. Or a tape. Going in circles. Rust is aware that he is a character trapped in a never ending story. The circular imagery was everywhere in the last episode - the magazine on the AK, the girl's crown, the big knot in the tree. I'm not sure if this will become an actual plot point or if it's merely meta fictional commentary but this shit if by far the most interesting thing I've seen on TV in a while. Last three episodes are going to be wild.

• Like 1

Also I couldn't help but feel that in Rust's speech about time he was explaining to the detectives exactly what each and every one of them are - fictional characters in a television show. A flat disc observed repeatedly from a different dimension? It's a DVD. Or a tape. Going in circles. Rust is aware that he is a character trapped in a never ending story. The circular imagery was everywhere in the last episode - the magazine on the AK, the girl's crown, the big knot in the tree.

Loved that dialogue piece, pulled off to perfection.