True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

• 3 weeks later...

Still blown away by McConaughey's performance in the first episode. Dude has some serious chops and have never seen this side of his acting before. May be his best work if this show pans out successfully.

Have you seen Dallas Buyer's Club yet? Because anyone who has seen that movie shouldn't be surprised how good McConaughey's acting is in TD.

Have watched the first three episodes. While the pacing has been a little slow, it's definitely one of the most interesting shows I've watched in a long time. It truly feels like a movie that's been cut up into eight episodes. TD shows why television is proving to be a better medium than feature films. TV writers can take their time when developing characters whereas movie screen writers have to fit everything in to a two or three hour jaunt.

Can't wait for episode four. When they showed Reggie Ledoux in his gas mask and tattoos, with McConaughey talking about finding a monster at the end of the dream, it has really got me jonesing for the next episode.

The show seems to be bent on a slow build, as each episode seems to get better than the last.

I suspect this show will have one hell of a cliff hanger, 'cause of right now I have no idea how it's going to end (still trying to figure out where the narrative is going to take us viewers). Hope it gets the audience to warrant a second season.

And yes, Alexandra Daddario (plays Woody's mistress) is smoking hot. For those who watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, she was in the Dinner for Schmucks episode.

Edited by downzy

Still blown away by McConaughey's performance in the first episode. Dude has some serious chops and have never seen this side of his acting before. May be his best work if this show pans out successfully.

Have you seen Dallas Buyer's Club yet? Because anyone who has seen that movie shouldn't be surprised how good McConaughey's acting is in TD.

Have watched the first three episodes. While the pacing has been a little slow, it's definitely one of the most interesting shows I've watched in a long time. It truly feels like a movie that's been cut up into eight episodes. TD shows why television is proving to be a better medium than feature films. TV writers can take their time when developing characters whereas movie screen writers have to fit everything in to a two or three hour jaunt.

Can't wait for episode four. When they showed Reggie Ledoux in his gas mask and tattoos, with McConaughey talking about finding a monster at the end of the dream, it has really got me jonesing for the next episode.

The show seems to be bent on a slow build, as each episode seems to get better than the last.

I suspect this show will have one hell of a cliff hanger, 'cause of right now I have no idea how it's going to end (still trying to figure out where the narrative is going to take us viewers). Hope it gets the audience to warrant a second season.

And yes, Alexandra Daddario (plays Woody's mistress) is smoking hot. For those who watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, she was in the Dinner for Schmucks episode.

McConaughey's been on a roll the past few years.

Aside from Dallas Buyers Club, he's been great in The Lincoln Lawyer, Bernie, Mud, Killer Joe, Magic Mike, The Paperboy.

Yes, loved it. He's been a roll lately.

Agreed on the last 20 minutes. Talk about at trip. The last ten minutes especially, when they go to rob the stash house.

F'n intense!

Best two lines of the episode belonged to McConaughey: i) at the bar, talking to Woody: "With all the dick swagger you roll you can't spot crazy pussy;" ii) The last line of the episode "What the fuck do you think I want with you, huh? God damn, I'm so done talking to you like a man."

For a show that started off somewhat slow, it has reached a fevered pitch.

• Like 1

Some of the best TV i've seen in a long time was that last episode, may watch it again tonight just because the last 30 minutes were so damn good.

Yeah, I had high hopes for this show. So far, so good. It feels like a really long, but great, movie.

I think I'll save a second viewing for when the entire season has wrapped. Pull a True Detective marathon while drinking!

Some of the best TV i've seen in a long time was that last episode, may watch it again tonight just because the last 30 minutes were so damn good.

Yeah, I had high hopes for this show. So far, so good. It feels like a really long, but great, movie

This is EXACTLY how I described it to a friend of mine, it seems like a long, 8-hour movie since there's only 8 episodes.

That six minute unbroken shot of Rust at the end is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on TV. They built the tension up so well through this episode right up to that point where Rust is trying to direct the carnage around him then the powderkeg blows, and the whole thing goes to shit. Building that kind of tension through the last twenty minutes, even though we know the protagonist is going to be fine, is an amazing feat to pull off.