True Detective - HBO series [SUPER, INSANELY, LITHIUM-ESQUE, HEAVY SPOILERS. PS: There are spoilers in this thread]

Nobodys_Fault

Also I couldn't help but feel that in Rust's speech about time he was explaining to the detectives exactly what each and every one of them are - fictional characters in a television show. A flat disc observed repeatedly from a different dimension? It's a DVD. Or a tape. Going in circles. Rust is aware that he is a character trapped in a never ending story. The circular imagery was everywhere in the last episode - the magazine on the AK, the girl's crown, the big knot in the tree.

Loved that dialogue piece, pulled off to perfection.

The McConologues are the best part of the show. They're outstanding.

Anyone here ever read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles? Rust's theory on reality reminded me of it quite a bit. Coincidentally it also makes frequent reference to The King In Yellow.

• Like 1

Also I couldn't help but feel that in Rust's speech about time he was explaining to the detectives exactly what each and every one of them are - fictional characters in a television show. A flat disc observed repeatedly from a different dimension? It's a DVD. Or a tape. Going in circles. Rust is aware that he is a character trapped in a never ending story. The circular imagery was everywhere in the last episode - the magazine on the AK, the girl's crown, the big knot in the tree.

Loved that dialogue piece, pulled off to perfection.

Reggie talked about it before he got shot. "you'll do this again, time is a flat circle"

I think Rusts "someone once told me, time is a flat circle" speech was to get a read on the detectives.

Time is a flat circle is Yellow King spiel. I think Rust is the only one talking about the cosmos.

Given the format of the show we'll probably never know. Each we are given a series of clues, but they get replaced by new clues each week that lead nowhere.

I guess police procedural can do a reveal at the end. Then all the Easter eggs will tell a story.

I guess Marty is part of a group, maybe under the spell of Rust that commit crimes. That's why Marty daughter saw the rape from the car. Mary family must play a role.

But then next ep everything will change with a new set of red herrings with Rust the Yellow King ranting some more.

I don't have the energy right now to read it myself, but over at the Daily Beast they've posted the first four chapters of "The King of Yellow," the 1895 book by Robert W. Chambers.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/20/read-the-king-in-yellow-the-true-detective-reference-that-s-the-key-to-the-show.html

Edited by downzy

The main question is whether the Yellow King is a person or a supernatural force that makes people go crazy like La Doux or the other one who kills himself.

To push it further is TD the Yellow King itself. We are the ones that see the whole of their lives in 2D. Will the next two parts of TD be the same story with different characters.

I feel like Rust and Marty are victims of the Yellow King and will wear the crown at some point.

The house was very silent now, and not a sound came up from the misty streets. Tessie lay among the cushions, her face a grey blot in the gloom, but her hands were clasped in mine, and I knew that she knew and read my thoughts as I read hers, for we had understood the mystery of the Hyades and the Phantom of Truth was laid. Then as we answered each other, swiftly, silently, thought on thought, the shadows stirred in the gloom about us, and far in the distant streets we heard a sound. Nearer and nearer it came, the dull crunching of wheels, nearer and yet nearer, and now, outside before the door it ceased, and I dragged myself to the window and saw a black-plumed hearse. The gate below opened and shut, and I crept shaking to my door and bolted it, but I knew no bolts, no locks, could keep that creature out who was coming for the Yellow Sign. And now I heard him moving very softly along the hall. Now he was at the door, and the bolts rotted at his touch. Now he had entered. With eyes starting from my head I peered into the darkness, but when he came into the room I did not see him. It was only when I felt him envelope me in his cold soft grasp that I cried out and struggled with deadly fury, but my hands were useless and he tore the onyx clasp from my coat and struck me full in the face. Then, as I fell, I heard Tessies soft cry and her spirit fled: and even while falling I longed to follow her, for I knew that the King in Yellow had opened his tattered mantle and there was only God to cry to now.

This part kind of hints at a conspiracy or cult that goes higher up in TD. It makes me think of Marty and Rust fall from grace but then rise to fame. The king solves a problem it creates.

Well, I said, the profession of a Repairer of Reputations is lucrative.

His colourless eyes sought mine, I only wanted to demonstrate that I was correct. You said it was impossible to succeed as a Repairer of Reputations; that even if I did succeed in certain cases it would cost me more than I would gain by it. To-day I have five hundred men in my employ, who are poorly paid, but who pursue the work with an enthusiasm which possibly may be born of fear. These men enter every shade and grade of society; some even are pillars of the most exclusive social temples; others are the prop and pride of the financial world; still others, hold undisputed sway among the Fancy and the Talent. I choose them at my leisure from those who reply to my advertisements. It is easy enough, they are all cowards. I could treble the number in twenty days if I wished. So you see, those who have in their keeping the reputations of their fellow-citizens, I have in my pay.

They may turn on you, I suggested.

He rubbed his thumb over his cropped ears, and adjusted the wax substitutes. I think not, he murmured thoughtfully, I seldom have to apply the whip, and then only once. Besides they like their wages.

This part reminds me of Rust when he has that glazed hypnotised look on his face when he's talking to the cops.

Get up, Vance, said Mr. Wilde in a gentle voice. Vance rose as if hypnotized. He will do as we suggest now, observed Mr. Wilde, and opening the manuscript, he read the entire history of the Imperial Dynasty of America. Then in a kind and soothing murmur he ran over the important points with Vance, who stood like one stunned. His eyes were so blank and vacant that I imagined he had become half-witted, and remarked it to Mr. Wilde who replied that it was of no consequence anyway. Very patiently we pointed out to Vance what his share in the affair would be, and he seemed to understand after a while. Mr. Wilde explained the manuscript, using several volumes on Heraldry, to substantiate the result of his researches. He mentioned the establishment of the Dynasty in Carcosa, the lakes which connected Hastur, Aldebaran and the mystery of the Hyades. He spoke of Cassilda and Camilla, and sounded the cloudy depths of Demhe, and the Lake of Hali. The scolloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill forever, he muttered, but I do not believe Vance heard him. Then by degrees he led Vance along the ramifications of the Imperial family, to Uoht and Thale, from Naotalba and Phantom of Truth, to Aldones, and then tossing aside his manuscript and notes, he began the wonderful story of the Last King. Fascinated and thrilled I watched him. He threw up his head, his long arms were stretched out in a magnificent gesture of pride and power, and his eyes blazed deep in their sockets like two emeralds. Vance listened stupefied. As for me, when at last Mr. Wilde had finished, and pointing to me, cried, The cousin of the King! my head swam with excitement.

This part is about a Yellow sign no men can disregard. Rust or anyone could have been cursed.

I showed him a list of thousands of names which Mr. Wilde had drawn up; every man whose name was there had received the Yellow Sign which no living human being dared disregard. The city, the state, the whole land, were ready to rise and tremble before the Pallid Mask.

I don't have the energy right now to read it myself, but over at the Daily Beast they've posted the first four chapters of "The King of Yellow," the 1895 book by Robert W. Chambers.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/20/read-the-king-in-yellow-the-true-detective-reference-that-s-the-key-to-the-show.html

You can get the Kindle version of the book on Amazon for free.

The dialogue scene with Rust and the lady in prison, when she finally confesses everything to him and he then tells her the reality of her situation, and that she should consider suicide.... man... that was chilling. One of the best lines in the series thus far. Delivered to perfection.

• Like 1

They're probably just fucking with us, but a couple things I noticed were 1: They way the committed girl followed Rust's face with her eyes as he stood up while screaming about "the face" or whatnot. 2. Rust persuading the SIDS lady to consider killing herself. Which does make me wonder if he was indeed on the payphone last episode.

Perhaps he is involved, but just doesn't know it. Like a brainwashed tool for whomever.

Also interesting how he blamed Maggie after fucking her. Not sure he can accept blame, he's a sociopath with no conscience. Perhaps that's why his marriage fell apart after his kid was backed over, probably by him.

To share a prediction that could make sense and one that i've partially agreed with the entire time:

My prediction early on was that Rust was dropped in to the CID as a federal undercover agent, brought in to expose police involvement in satanic murders. Rust mentions to the investigating officers at the beginning that there were rumors he was a Fed, and this seems to explain why Quesada would hate him so much because as the major he would have known that his police force was being investigated from within. My prediction has been that the Feds suspected Martin Hart as being part of the conspiracy, and therefore partnered Rust with him so he could get close to his work, and also enmesh himself in Marty’s family life as part of his undercover investigation.

One of the biggest clues on this theory goes back to the interview with Dora Lange’s mother, Rust looks over at a picture of young Dora standing in front of a group of men on horseback wearing black pointed hoods. The picture is so spooky and unusual, and yet Rust doesn’t mention it or ask a single question. To me, this clearly shows he was previously aware of the Cult and how they operate. Either because he was already aware because of information he received in his Fed briefing prior to going in undercover, or because he himself is part of the Cult. The fact that Reggie Ledoux recognized him and seems to know it was his time to die, is another indication that Rust could be the Yellow King.

The scene where he tells the woman to kill herself is chilling, and leaves open the possibility that there will be a twist ending to reveal Rust as the killer, reminiscent of the end of Frailty.

• Like 1

I've just finished episode 3. I may be slated for expressing this opinion, but I honestly prefer this story to Breaking Bad (granted, it's early days).

I literally have to go and watch episode 4 right now, pretty sure that was Miser prancing about in undies and a gas mask at the end of E3.

• Like 2

I've just finished episode 3. I may be slated for expressing this opinion, but I honestly prefer this story to Breaking Bad (granted, it's early days).

I literally have to go and watch episode 4 right now, pretty sure that was Miser prancing about in undies and a gas mask at the end of E3.

Episode 4 is EPIC!
  • Like 1

Episode 4 is EPIC!

It was nuts.