Why do people keep going to GnR concerts?

saber_

For several years now, many posters have postulated that the end of GnR's touring was imminent due to attendance numbers. Yet, despite these observations, GnR's touring has continued on, unabated, all over the world.

With one original member left, no new music on the horizon, and scant promotional activities, why do people keep going to GnR concerts? Is it Axl, is it the name, what is it?

People go to hear the brand play - just like they play the songs on jukeboxes at bars. There are a lot of touring brands these days that contain just a single (or in some cases, ZERO) original members.

It's sad but yes, GNR is a travelling jukebox nostalgia brand. This is Axl's legacy, folks.

• Like 1

Don't know. Haven't been to a show in years. I want to support this band, but until they release new music, I just have a hard time enabling Mr. Rose even further.

It does sadden me because I do respect this band, but right now they're a cover act. When new music gets released, maybe I'll feel different.

I'm a fairly new fan for 2yrs now & don't care about the original lineup, I didn't know them back then. Gilby was in the band when I first took notice then 2yrs ago I took an interest & love this lineup. It is a pity they are playing songs written by original members & new songs would be great but I'd go again if they tour just for the pure excitement of being part of it.

In many places (i.e. South America) I suppose you could argue that the market has not been tapped out yet, and there is still fervent enthusiasm for the band. Also, many other markets besides North America are more well known for accepting different lineups of famous bands. That being said, I would suppose most people go to a Guns N' Roses concert to hear their favorite Guns N' Roses songs performed with the singer and to have a good time like they would at any other concert. At the end of the day, most people aren't as hardcore as we are. When I saw GN'R in 2011 in Atlanta, most people did not even know a single thing about the lineups of Guns N' Roses, and the majority who did only knew that Slash was gone. To them it's just a band that played some great songs from the late 1980s through early 1990s.

I definitely do think the UCAP tour and smaller venues are better. With a few notable exceptions, Guns n' Roses have sold pretty abysmally in an arena setting since 2002. Today, I do not even think that is really an issue of Guns N' Roses. Filling out arenas in today's economy is a hard thing to do. The only arena show I've seen in the last few years that has come anywhere close would be when I saw Roger Waters performing The Wall in 2010.

It's a solid 3 hr show of one of their favorite bands, why wouldn't members of this forum go? The negativity you see by these members is directly related to the desire to hear new music. New and good music, would change a lot of people's mindset towards the band for the better. This particular criticism of Axl is completely reasonable and doesn't have anything to do with live show attendance.

Edit* I misread the op

In short, people on this forum may say attendance is dwindling due to their discontent with the band or some may in fact have real evidence to back up it up. I don't know either way but do think new music is the primary remedy for negative viewpoints or real world trends.

Edited by Rauschen

You have two people:

The general public that goes just to see GNR, which is always bigger than you or I expect. It really is still there.

Then you have the people that do it because they feel they have to. The people here that have brainwashed themselves into thinking they are getting something new each show and that they are helping support GNR.

Then there's the third group: the sane people that maybe go once and then don't bother adding to this big mess and stop going or don't go at all.

Because the brand name is attractive. They know they're mainly going to get the nostalgic hits with the singer singing them. To Axl's credit, it's generally easier replacing instrumental aspects to a group than a voice, and have them sound essentially the same for nostalgic's sake. Obviously the same can't be said for the creative element. That simply can't be replicated. And even with that considered, attendance does seem to be dwindling.

I have no interest to go to the shows because I don't feel like paying top dollar for a parody. Especially when the only legit aspect to the name is quickly becoming a sad parody of his former self. If I want to see a decent cover band, I'm sure I'll come across one at a bar.

If Axl starts singing like his old '06 or '10 self, then maybe I could be persuaded to give a shit.

Until then, thanks but no thanks.

Are they though? GNR these days play mini venues like bowling alleys, which they euphemistically title 'Up Close And Personal' and charge more for to compensate for the miniscule capacity. In 2006 GN'R were still arena status in North America. There has been a complete collapse in their North American market.

It's a solid 3 hr show of one of their favorite bands, why wouldn't members of this forum go? The negativity you see by these members is directly related to the desire to hear new music. New and good music, would change a lot of people's mindset towards the band for the better. This particular criticism of Axl is completely reasonable and doesn't have anything to do with live show attendance.

Edit* I misread the op

In short, people on this forum may say attendance is dwindling due to their discontent with the band or some may in fact have real evidence to back up it up. I don't know either way but do think new music is the primary remedy for negative viewpoints or real world trends.

Edit* I misread the op

I could be wrong, and apologize in advance if I am, but aside from maybe South America (where most established acts sell well/out) I don't think they've sold out a single arena show since 2011. And if they did, it was few and far in between. Keep in mind, Axl left a five year gap between playing shows in the states, and still didn't sell out. Now he's having trouble selling out club shows in the US and Canada. How is that not considered "dwindling attendances"?

I'm not saying Axl's in serious trouble, touring wise yet, but how long is he gonna keep this going before completely losing momentum/interest? Eventually he's either gonna need to release good new music, reunite the real line up, or do...ermm...something to spark some new interest. None of those options, sadly, seem to be on the horizon. Not even remotely.

some people just go to rock shows, U2, Metallica, GNR, Stones, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, whoever. There's a host of reasons to go, GNR fans going because they always went, nostalgia, then people who just want to go to see them, never seen GNR etc.

I think as long as they don't over stay their welcome there will always be people willing to pay to see Axl. That's the level he's reached. As long as he doesn't come out as a lesbian and think he's made it. Maybe if interest dwindles in the media right now, but then in 10 years time with not much from GNR, in 2020 they still beable to come back with an album and tour.

I've seen gnr 8 times since 2002 and attendance has been declining. 7 of these shows were arena shows. The first was a sellout of 16k. 2nd was 10k. The rest have been since 2010 and were 6k or less.

But this isn't just a GNR trend. I've seen Kiss 4 times and each show gets less and less.

I know some casual friends that I just ended up running into at shows that prolly wouldn't call GN'R their favorite band. The fact is that whatever ur opinion is about new guns vs. classic guns...the state of the rock music, and the fact that their are very few good new bands will always make Guns a popular option.

• Like 1

I've gone to see GnR in 2006 and 2010. I enjoyed both gigs a lot, especially 2006. But I'm not going to go again if they don't offer something new. I've passed up on GnR in 2012 (and went to a Slash & Myles gig instead) for that reason. I don't get why people keep going either. For me personally there are a LOT of artists I like and that I want to go see. And with all the big tours there's a lot of competition. I can only spend my money once, so I'd rather spend it on something I haven't seen yet than on Axl doing the same trick again (but less good).

I do feel their popularity is on the decline though. Not sure about other countries, but over here there seem to be less people every concert.