CD deserved a competent audience

bacardimayne

CD had the audience it deserved. It had the audience Axl WANTED it to have. In keeping the GN'R name, I'm sure he knew (or should've known) that certain expectations go with a name, and that a certain fanbase will follow a name. Being a rock music fan himself I'm sure he had SOME idea of what fans wanted/expected from a "Guns N' Roses" record, but perhaps he felt the fans would accept a great leap forward or perhaps he simply didn't care. CD is not an intelligent or an intellectually challenging or a particularly deep album. It's not something like The Wall. Why would it deserve a more "sophisticated" audience? It's not that far removed in sound or in spirit from a 'modernized' Use Your Illusions (the more experimental numbers ala Estranged). In keeping the name, Axl should've also been aware that certain expectations go with that. Like, do you go into a Die Hard movie expecting a romantic comedy?

I'm not saying no experimentation, experimentation in bands is what keeps things interesting. But overhauling the entire lineup of the band besides himself and Dizzy, and utterly changing the style (especially the guitar style, with no one style dominating CD), and going into industrial type material all in one shot was a bit too much to ask in one sitting.

To simply say that CD failed because it's fans weren't "competent" is a lame excuse and is very insulting to the millions of people who bought AFD, Lies and the UYI albums, and to the 3 million or so fans who did try to give CD a chance.

• Like 1

None of the guys in that band wrote any important or popular stuff before they were on Axl's payroll. Why should bring hired by Axl suddenly turn them into beloved and celebrated artists? Instead of looking at CD as a poorly received GNR release, just look at it as the most spectacular high point in Paul Tobias and Chris pitman's careers.

• Like 1

"My biggest problem with people who don't like CD...."

Lol. You're so weird. You have a list of problems with people not liking the same music as you. Get over it.

That's exactly it.

There is this weird group of forum members who actually get mad if you don't like the same kind of music as they do.

• Like 2

to follow this logic of this post utilizing the word "Competent":

In the music scene of today, present with its mashup of so many styles and frankly unoriginal and tasteless so called "talent" one could,in a manner of speaking, then conclude that the millinial generation is thus INCOMPETENT .That of course is a broad generaliztion and somewhat inappropriate largely because music and art is personal choice and individual habit. You listen for and celebrate what ever trips your wire. So what is timeless music? Music that appeals to multigenerations?

I can remember the Boomers scoffing at the 80's music and saying the very same thing: Bubblegum music. Fake music, talentless and tasteless music. Unoriginal and pointless, image vs substance, screaming instead of singing etc...the point being...however, there was truth in that observation.

My love of GNR is not reliant on nostalgia and yearning for the return of the good ol days. However given the point of referance in regards to GNR the majority of the catalogue is where? 80's and 90's. The only thing on CD that is familiar to me that even casually reminds me of GNR is Axls voice. The whole emotion, the whole sound and the whole essence of GNR is missing on the record and I have listened for it. The lyrics are miserable to me, the structure is foriegn, the music itself is interesting in its own time and place. None of it feels organic... it feels contrived and forced to the extreme. For me, it screams INAUTHENTIC...a huge compromise!! Two words that GNR as I know it is not "Inauthentic and compromising"...it misses the bullseye on so many fronts not because its not reminicient of AFD or kinda sorta like UYI but because it lacks a point. Its all over the place. Take the title "Chinese Democracy" the one song that panders to the title is ...what? political? Intelligent and thoughtful? A rally cry for human rights? historical referance? Axl could have sang la la la and the song could have had the same impact...and unique for a GNR song simply all to quickly forgotten...no matter how many times I cram it down my ear canals and listen to it objectively, subjectively, casually or intentionally ultimately and even technically it comes round to the same conclusion...I cant imagine that it took 15 years for that album to realize the light of day. Sadlly it speaks to me of an artist that is exhausted and lost in scope, ambition and thats key as to why on a whole the world didnt embrace CD like they did when UYI was released. What was the point of CD?

SOme of you describe it like its a masterpiece. Masterpiece of what?

IF we had follow up music to it..then CD might at best sometime in the future be called a transition piece.. an exprimental album even described in terms like "Axl's blue period"

• Like 1

In the music scene of today, present with its mashup of so many styles and frankly unoriginal and tasteless so called "talent" one could,in a manner of speaking, then conclude that the millinial generation is thus INCOMPETENT .That of course is a broad generaliztion and somewhat inappropriate largely because music and art is personal choice and individual habit. You listen for and celebrate what ever trips your wire. So what is timeless music? Music that appeals to multigenerations?

I can remember the Boomers scoffing at the 80's music and saying the very same thing: Bubblegum music. Fake music, talentless and tasteless music. Unoriginal and pointless, image vs substance, screaming instead of singing etc...the point being...however, there was truth in that observation.

My love of GNR is not reliant on nostalgia and yearning for the return of the good ol days. However given the point of referance in regards to GNR the majority of the catalogue is where? 80's and 90's. The only thing on CD that is familiar to me that even casually reminds me of GNR is Axls voice. The whole emotion, the whole sound and the whole essence of GNR is missing on the record and I have listened for it. The lyrics are miserable to me, the structure is foriegn, the music itself is interesting in its own time and place. None of it feels organic... it feels contrived and forced to the extreme. For me, it screams INAUTHENTIC...a huge compromise!! Two words that GNR as I know it is not "Inauthentic and compromising"...it misses the bullseye on so many fronts not because its not reminicient of AFD or kinda sorta like UYI but because it lacks a point. Its all over the place. Take the title "Chinese Democracy" the one song that panders to the title is ...what? political? Intelligent and thoughtful? A rally cry for human rights? historical referance? Axl could have sang la la la and the song could have had the same impact...and unique for a GNR song simply all to quickly forgotten...no matter how many times I cram it down my ear canals and listen to it objectively, subjectively, casually or intentionally ultimately and even technically it comes round to the same conclusion...I cant imagine that it took 15 years for that album to realize the light of day. Sadlly it speaks to me of an artist that is exhausted and lost in scope, ambition and thats key as to why on a whole the world didnt embrace CD like they did when UYI was released. What was the point of CD?

IF we had follow up music to it..then CD might at best sometime in the future be called a transition piece.. an exprimental album even described in terms like "Axl's blue period"

Same to me. I did my utmost best to like the record. Listened to it over and over again as I desperately wanted to like it after waiting for so many years. I really, really wanted to like it and listened to it like you do: in every way possible. But I finally started disliking it so much that I put it away and never played it again. I still can't wrap my mind around the concept as well.

Now I know it sounds contradictory, but I have to add that Chinese Democracy live wasn't all that bad... It really rocked. Mind you, I only saw 2 shows in 2012.

When people say rock music sucks nowadays, especially big time stadium type rock (which is what they mean, they mean the Rolling Stones not sonic youth) I always wonder.... How have these people not yet stumbled across queens of the Stone Age?

People are saying the Rolling Stones suck? Never heard that myself..........

Yeaaah, cuz it's soooo intelligent and it's SOOOO difficult to see what Axls trying to do with it, it's such a puzzle. Oh my God, a trip-hop intro, call the intellectuals! :rolleyes:

Nailed it.

CD was what it was. And now that enough time has passed for the dust to settle, people realize that its a mediocre album.

It's not really that clever or innovative, and nothing on it is really that impressive. It did what it did, and it didn't do much.

It's got a few decent songs that will stick in the hearts and minds of hardcore fans, so it did accomplish that... but to the rest of the world, who already look at GNR as a cheesy 80s band, its just another one of those failed attempts of a washed up band from a different era trying to be edgy, but falling tremendously short.

When people say rock music sucks nowadays, especially big time stadium type rock (which is what they mean, they mean the Rolling Stones not sonic youth) I always wonder.... How have these people not yet stumbled across queens of the Stone Age?

Maybe they have and don't like Queens of the Stone Age? Music is all about personal preference.

Most of us think that "our" music is the best and can't believe that everybody else doesn't feel the same way!

Millions of people love Coldplay and The Muse and Justin Bieber - all artists that I find extremely boring.

The great thing is that there are soooo many options out there for us to choose from.

"My biggest problem with people who don't like CD...."

Lol. You're so weird. You have a list of problems with people not liking the same music as you. Get over it.

I don't have a problem with people not liking the same music as me, you can't read. If you read the rest you would have noticed that I went into detail on not judging an album entirely upon first impressions.

My biggest problem with people reading comments is: they don't actually read them all the way through before they make a snotty reply.

None of the guys in that band wrote any important or popular stuff before they were on Axl's payroll. Why should bring hired by Axl suddenly turn them into beloved and celebrated artists? Instead of looking at CD as a poorly received GNR release, just look at it as the most spectacular high point in Paul Tobias and Chris pitman's careers.

Because the band members previous work wasn't well known that means it wasn't important...? I bet you hadn't heard of the replacements until Tommy joined GnR but they're a pretty popular band in an underground way. Pretty sure The replacements are nominated for the RHOF... but I suppose that's not significant or Important.

There's nothing complex about CD. It's just a mashup of genres with mediocre melodies and over production. Listening to it a million times before judging wont change that.

Guitars. That's about it.

Look, bacardi said something like "those kids that think that EVH is the best technical guitarist in history", which EvH replied saying he is and I said he is not.

You have the right not to agree. Could you give other names?

I already gave ya two names, but there weren't that much known super technical guitarists back then - at least not better than Eddie - ya, technique-wise - though.

Maybe they have and don't like Queens of the Stone Age? Music is all about personal preference.

Most of us think that "our" music is the best and can't believe that everybody else doesn't feel the same way!

Millions of people love Coldplay and The Muse and Justin Bieber - all artists that I find extremely boring.

The great thing is that there are soooo many options out there for us to choose from.

I don't get the appeal for Muse and Coldplay either.

I don't get the appeal for Muse and Coldplay either.

Awwwww. We should hang out sometime!

There's nothing complex about CD. It's just a mashup of genres with mediocre melodies and over production. Listening to it a million times before judging wont change that.

Guitars. That's about it.

Look, bacardi said something like "those kids that think that EVH is the best technical guitarist in history", which EvH replied saying he is and I said he is not.

You have the right not to agree. Could you give other names?

I already gave ya two names, but there weren't that much known super technical guitarists back then - at least not better than Eddie - ya, technique-wise - though.

Randy rhoads

Same to me. I did my utmost best to like the record. Listened to it over and over again as I desperately wanted to like it after waiting for so many years. I really, really wanted to like it and listened to it like you do: in every way possible. But I finally started disliking it so much that I put it away and never played it again. I still can't wrap my mind around the concept as well.

Now I know it sounds contradictory, but I have to add that Chinese Democracy live wasn't all that bad... It really rocked. Mind you, I only saw 2 shows in 2012.

Yeah, that's aboutthe same as my listening to the album - but I would also think to myself "you broke up the band for this crap?!" Wtf were youthinking dude?

You're binging up tommy 'paycheck' stinson? Lol. I don't think he even considers himself GNR.

Enjoy your trolling, you obviously have issues in admitting your wrong. As for the pay check thing... who knows, it's as good a reason as any to stay in a band.

I prefer latter day Zepp so its easier to like CD. It doesnt have the devil may care rock n roll spirit of early GNR but thats ok.

It's what the martyr tangled in his own web sounds like. But alot of It also sounds like gnr.

"fame for me has been a many headed hydra"

that's the fascinating part of it. CD is kind of like a mixtape of Hitler's high budget rap songs he made before he went old fashioned with a bottle of vodka and a hand gun in his bunker. Totally unique, very reminiscient of early youth days yet tinged by apathy and regret.