CD deserved a competent audience

bacardimayne

Actually I think it is more down to your hilarious superiority complex and the snotty tone to the majority of your posts.

Exactly.

You just have to laugh at people that have to downgrade anybody who doesn't agree with their opinions. It's a real sign of insecurity. And the funny thing is that the mullet-head 80's people the OP apparently hates so much.........I bet those people accounted for probably 75-80% of the sales of CD.

• Like 2

I love how people on here legitimately believe I'm a hipster just because I don't listen to shitrock all day.

For me, I just don't understand the need to insult what other people like. Why isn't it ok for others to listen to 80s rock or whatever else they want to for that matter?

• Like 1

CD didn't have a competent audience. The people who would normally be interested in what Axl wanted to put out weren't because he stuck with the GNR name, and instead he had to try and please a bunch of mulletfucks who think Eddie Van Halen is the best technical guitarist in history.

It's like if someone wrote a really good book but the only people who read it were comic book fans who wanted it to be like Spiderman.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think CD is an amazing 10/10 album or anything, but I do think the reception it got is horribly unfair and it deserves an audience that isn't looking for an 80s nostalgia album like the vast majority of people who listened to it were expecting/demanding. It's a solid 7-8 out of 10 and the best tracks are really fucking good.

Axl was definitely right about one thing: there's something on CD for everyone. Almost everyone I've talked to about the album, even those who hate it, admit that there are one or two tracks on it that they like, and it's not always the same ones. Better and TWAT get the most love but I know people who think Riad is the shit and hate everything else.

Just wanted to get that out.

So what your saying is though guns was a late 80ks early 90s rock band - in 2008, when they next appeared, they should have been accepted by NIN fans and the like? With no material and the laughingstock nature of the band, I don't think this was feasible

• Like 1

I love how people on here legitimately believe I'm a hipster just because I don't listen to Nobody puts baby in a corner all day.

For me, I just don't understand the need to insult what other people like. Why isn't it ok for others to listen to 80s rock or whatever else they want to for that matter?

Because he thinks that is what all the "cool" kids do brah, in between growing ironic bumfluff and wearing glasses with no lenses.

IMO Axl needed to first try to win back the hardcore 'old timers' (like myself) Gn'R fan base, that was/is resentful with Slash's exit. For that to succeed he needed a 'back to the roots' kind of album, with maybe some acoustic stuff in there.

Axl instead opted to make Axl's band out of reinventing 'Gn'R' with a whole new different sound and vibe, and that would (obviously) never succeed under the classic Gn'R name.

I really like CD, in my opinion it is one of the best rock albums of this millenium. But honestly thats not saying much, because most rock sucks anymore. But thats a different topic. I think CD is on par with both Illusion albums. Not quite as good, but close. CD is easily 7/10 while both illusions are 8/10 imo. Appetite is the only 10/10 in gnrs discography. So by my standards its a damn good album. I could go in to what I feel it lacks, but most people have already stated it. Replace scraped with going down, and replace riad with a you could be mine type song and it would of been a fricking masterpiece imo. But guess what? It still would have fallin' on deaf ears. The fan base just can't get over the whole slash, duff, and izzy thing. It's just a fact. The guns n' roses fan base will never be united again unless a reunion happens period. But then all the CD fans will feel left out, but the rest of us won't give a shit.

My problem with the OP is that he is calling out the fan base, basically saying the majority never gave the album a fair shot. While that maybe true in a lot of cases, to call us all a bunch of 80's rock sleaze fans is rediculous. Especially lumping Van Halen into that catagory, clearly the OP hasn't listened to them much. Which is ironic since that is the same thing he is saying gnr fans did to CD. Hypocrite much???

• Like 2

Its easy to knock Van Halen if you haven't actually listened to their albums, I was always dismissive of them...but boy I was wrong.

see even Doom gets it. Go and listen to the first 6 Roth albums. It's some of the best rock music ever made, period. I also like the Haggar stuff, but thats not for everyone. But to dismiss those first 6 albums is criminal.

And the funny thing is that the mullet-head 80's people the OP apparently hates so much.........I bet those people accounted for probably 75-80% of the sales of CD.

Only 75-80? I'd say 85-90, which is kinda my point here.

Are you implying that age or hair style makes a difference in how intelligent somebody is concerning music?

So fans that were around when GnR hit, fans that actually experienced the band in its prime years, fans that have support Axl for 25 years........those - in your mind - those are the people you are insulting? I must be missing something, as surely that's not what you mean?

Manets - can you provide examples of these "stupid" fans?

First off, guns was always a few notches above typical 80s bands like motley and poison, and attracted a vast variety of people past and present. Yes there's typical 80s flare off a few select tracks on suicide and appetite, but for the most part, they had much more depth to them which was attractive. Very few bands can have something as catchy and fun as Jungle and Paradise City, and then something as complex as Estranged and Coma all from essentially the same band.

Yes there were Guns n Roses fans who were turned off by the fact they bought a guns n roses record that, for the most part, didn't really come off as a guns n roses record and was drastically different from what they were accustomed to.

But as I said on the first page, if it was really as good as you're claiming, it wouldn't have mattered what it was labeled as. It would've found an audience. It just didn't because it wasnt appealing to the vast majority of people in general. Rock fans and all. And I cite it not being that good as the major reason. It was all over the place by all means, and was a cesspool with a few gems floating around in it.

The bad aspects to the album greatly outweighed the good aspects for most.

Edited by Bobbo

I love van halen. What's the problem?

Apparently you are "old," a "mullethead," and too "stupid" to understand Chinese Democracy according to the hip kids of today.

I don't understand the issue here myself!

I like Van Halen, GNR, ACDC, etc. all kinds of bands...

I like newer rock bands, linkin park, avenged sevenfold, etc. I also like some kanye west. If that makes me a bad person, nice!

I think Chinese Democracy is an excellent record. 10/10 IMO. I think Axl was legally within his right to do what he did with the bands name and he put together a lineup that gave their best effort and did an excellent job. The record should have been released sooner, promoted a lot more, music videos should have been made, monumental promotion should have taken place.

I still listen to all guns n roses today, even chinese. It's not my fault Slash was dumb enough to sign the name over. That's why I'm angry with Slash, because of him GNR continues on with the likes of Ashba and Bumblefoot when the only replacements that made sense were finck and bucket. And again, nothings getting released, no new songs being played, no changes to the set list and all we ever do hear now from the band is a bunch of whining that some fans on the internet hurt their feelings so bad that they're afraid to post in here the band is a joke, and it's not even a band! it's a friggin cover act!!!!..That's my rant of the day!

Edited by ARBeast

And the funny thing is that the mullet-head 80's people the OP apparently hates so much.........I bet those people accounted for probably 75-80% of the sales of CD.

Only 75-80? I'd say 85-90, which is kinda my point here.

Are you implying that age or hair style makes a difference in how intelligent somebody is concerning music?

So fans that were around when GnR hit, fans that actually experienced the band in its prime years, fans that have support Axl for 25 years........those - in your mind - those are the people you are insulting? I must be missing something, as surely that's not what you mean?

Manets - can you provide examples of these "stupid" fans?

Completely fucking missed the point.

I'm not insulting anybody. I'm just pointing out the fact that those people are not the kind of people who are going to give CD a fair listen.