CD deserved a competent audience

bacardimayne

I like the first 4 Van Halen Records, and i like all the Motley Crue albums except the one with Corabi. What's wrong with that? Any of those albums i've mentioned are way better than Chinese Democracy!

Pretty much spot on. I really like the self titled 1994 albim, though.

I like the first 4 Van Halen Records, and i like all the Motley Crue albums except the one with Corabi. What's wrong with that? Any of those albums i've mentioned are way better than Chinese Democracy!

nah New Tatoo isn't as good as CD (although Slash/VR stealed 1st Band on the Moon intro riff, lol)

Corabi's voice is much more better than Vince voice EVER...

Not to mention that is the best sounding album of Mötley ever

• Like 1

nah New Tatoo isn't as good as CD (although Slash/VR stealed 1st Band on the Moon intro riff, lol)

Corabi's voice is much more better than Vince voice EVER...

Not to mention that is the best sounding album of Mötley ever

Don't agree with the Vince Neil / Corabi comparison. As i don't like Corabi's voice, neither i think it fits Motley Crue. (He would be great for Slash's Snakepit).

As for New Tattoo, Self Titled album or Generation Swine VS Chinese Democracy it's disputable i guess, but those are the two only albums that come close to Chinese Democracy in terms of being that bad.

The latest Motley Crue album Saints of Los Angeles or The Dirt (whatever you wanna call it) is much much better than Chinese Democracy!

By the way, it's been far too long since someone tried blame cd's failure on a failure of music fans. The problem isn't with serving turds for dinner... It's that people aren't conditioned to enjoy turds.

The fact that they use the "people don't buy cd's anymore" excuse to not release new music is beyond ridiculous. That band looks like a circus to me, and i can't believe that a group of musicians that are playing for such a big brand would even think like that.

By The Way, want new music? Check out Korn's new album "The Paradigm Shift". Now that's a great album! Did they stop making records because they think they won't sell?? Nope....

By the way, it's been far too long since someone tried blame cd's failure on a failure of music fans. The problem isn't with serving turds for dinner... It's that people aren't conditioned to enjoy turds.

I totally get what you're saying here. As I was saying before, my only issue is when people who haven't even heard it have an opinion on it. Art is subjective so it doesn't surprise me when some people who have heard it don't like it, but having the discussion with someone who hasn't even bothered grates on me.

I totally get what you're saying here. As I was saying before, my only issue is when people who haven't even heard it have an opinion on it. Art is subjective so it doesn't surprise me when some people who have heard it don't like it, but having the discussion with someone who hasn't even bothered grates on me.

I've never heard someone say they hate it when they haven't heard it. I've heard lots of people say they don't care and have no interest cuz "it's not really GNR."

This condition is not unique to Axl's situation.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeaaah, cuz it's soooo intelligent and it's SOOOO difficult to see what Axls trying to do with it, it's such a puzzle. Oh my God, a trip-hop intro, call the intellectuals! :rolleyes:

Fuck off, that's not what I was saying at all. Like I said, at best it's a solid to good album, but it gets such a horribly shit rep because the only people who've bothered to listen to it are 80s rock fans who wanted a Poison record. A large amount of the people who relentlessly bash CD actually think Slash's 2010 album was good.

I don't consider it "intellectual" or anything of the sort, just a decent modern rock record with about 4-5 enjoyable songs and probably more if I hadn't played the absolute shit out of it from 2008-10.

I don't think it's sophisticated to the point where it is beyond the comprehension of 80s rock fans.

I've never heard someone say they hate it when they haven't heard it. I've heard lots of people say they don't care and have no interest cuz "it's not really GNR."

I've heard both. The second doesn't bother me all the much because again, it's subjective.

This condition is not unique to Axl's situation.

Oh I agree. It's just something that happens to me a lot with this particular record.

I've said this on other forums but not sure if I ever posted it here. My problem isn't with the audience that listened to CD, my problem with with the audience that didn't listen to CD but still have an opinion. I've had a lot of discussions with people who claim to hate the album and openly admit they never actually listened to it.

100%. To a man, whenever Chinese Democracy comes up in conversation and someone rolls their eyes or says something negative, whenever I've pressed it turns out they've never even listened to a song, let alone bought it. Funny that the people I know who gave it a chance and listened to a few songs had nothing but positive things to say about what they heard, albeit they do often say it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses. To which I reply "Well, it really isn't. But it rocks."

Usually if a record surprises its listeners, the listeners being those intrigued by the band already -- it will eventually reach a more "competent audience".

The reality is that Chinese Democracy was largely shunned by both targets; the rockers, and "cool kids" Axl was trying to win over. It didn't really change the demographic enthused by GNR.

It got a competent audience - people who listen to what sounds pleasing to them. And the album is where I always thought it would be in terms of general impact beyond the forums.

I like the album myself but to me it isn't a shocker that the songs just didn't really catch on.

I think a lot of it goes back to the name thing. Some "fans" are exceedingly disgruntled (to this day) that Axl is persevering with the name. Furthermore, in those "fans'" minds, they associate Slash's sound with the band- so because Slash is not in the band, they cry foul and continue to express their disgruntlement on the internet. Because Chinese Democracy represented such a significant musical departure from previous Guns' records, it didn't get treated as fairly as it might have if it were under a different banner.

Don't misunderstand- I'm not saying Chinese Democracy is a super epic, profound record that has been wrongfully maligned by bitter die-hard old Guns' fans. I'm agreeing with OP for the most part- many people had formulated their opinions about the record before ever hearing it. I agree with some of the criticisms- it lacks a little warmth (it's got a knife-edged digital feel to its recording), it sounds overproduced, it was delayed for too long. But I think overall, OP is right, and if this board is any indication, there are a lot of incompetent listeners.

AXL ALWAYS WINS BABY!

• Like 2