CD deserved a competent audience

bacardimayne

You don't get how to quote people properly for starters. Maybe he should start by explaining the quote function.

I don't really care about the quote function, so no need for him to do that.

I'd rather him actually stick to the topic. But thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Bacardi - please answer without insults, if possible.

"""CD didn't have a competent audience. """.........So the 14 million people who listened to it on Myspace, the 3.5 million people who purchased the album, and the millions of people who have seen GnR touring over the last decade.........none of those people made up a "competent" audience? Where was this audience that you speak of, and why didn't they hear the album? And who specifically is this audience if it isn't the fans who have supported the band since the 80s.

"""The people who would normally be interested in what Axl wanted to put out weren't because he stuck with the GNR name""".........So you agreed that the majority of the buying public for GnR were old time fans......but here you are saying that old time fans weren't interested because Axl kept the name? And, like several people in here have said, fans of GnR/Axl gave the album a shot. They listened to it at least once. You really think there is a high number of people who 1, haven't heard CD to this day and 2, were people who loved GnR/Axl enough to buy their work but wouldn't buy an Axl led GnR album? I really believe that's a myth.

"and instead he had to try and please a bunch of mulletfucks"" lol, and you said that you didn't insult anybody in your post. Who are mullet*cks anyway? Does that describe a certain age of poster? What exactly are you saying here.

"""who think Eddie Van Halen is the best technical guitarist in history.""" Again, a huge over generalization on your part. I've never seen anybody say that EVH is the best technical guitar player in history. Millions of people love his work though.

"""It's like if someone wrote a really good book but the only people who read it were comic book fans who wanted it to be like Spiderman.""" Maybe. But aren't people allowed to like and dislike music for whatever reason they want? Are there albums out there you dislike? Should you be criticized for your reasons? Fans don't like albums for a variety of reasons. People dislike Metallica because one album had a weird drum sound. Who cares, really, what people's reasons are. Either you enjoy the music or you don't.

"""but I do think the reception it got is horribly unfair""" It got pretty good reviews by most of the professional reviews that I saw in major publications. The album also sold pretty well, 3.5 million copies. So what was "horribly unfair" about its reception? Can you give some specific examples (and not huge generalities)

""""""""And it deserves an audience that isn't looking for an 80s nostalgia album like the vast majority of people who listened to it were expecting/demanding.""" Wow. Did you do a poll to find out this information? A bit presumptuous of you to think you know what the "vast majority of people" expected from the album. How did you find out this information?

Also, what kind of an audience does an album "deserve?" Please give me examples of the audience that CD deserved........and your opinion as to WHY that audience didn't listen to the album. (Keeping in mind that millions bought the album, millions saw the band on tour, millions listened on myspace, millions have watched the youtube video, and the album has been out five years).............where is this mystery audience and why has CD been kept away from them.

"""It's a solid 7-8 out of 10 and the best tracks are really fucking good."""" I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10.

""""Almost everyone I've talked to about the album, even those who hate it, admit that there are one or two tracks on it that they like""" so your friends have heard the album..so they aren't part of the "audience that CD deserved."

I don't understand why people can't just accept the reality that was the life of CD.

Why the need to constantly make excuses and blame other people for the album not living up to expectations.

It's the label's fault, fans weren't smart enough to appreciate it, people didn't buy it because slash isn't in the band, etc, etc, etc.

The album did pretty well for a singer who broke up his classic band, didn't release any music for 15 years and shunned the media and his fans for years at a time. It sold over 3 million copies, has allowed Axl to tour the classic songs and make a living off of them, and people still go to see the shows. That's it.

You don't get it

How so Volcano?

I think part of the reason was so down was partly bcos of the split. They werent partying on the streets. Apart from Axls personal songs its mainly inspired by books or movies. I dont see how they could ever capture that spirit again. CD does seem like the next part. Youre 40 and there was a time.

"""CD didn't have a competent audience. """.........So the 14 million people who listened to it on Myspace, the 3.5 million people who purchased the album, and the millions of people who have seen GnR touring over the last decade.........none of those people made up a "competent" audience? Where was this audience that you speak of, and why didn't they hear the album? And who specifically is this audience if it isn't the fans who have supported the band since the 80s.

"""The people who would normally be interested in what Axl wanted to put out weren't because he stuck with the GNR name""".........So you agreed that the majority of the buying public for GnR were old time fans......but here you are saying that old time fans weren't interested because Axl kept the name? And, like several people in here have said, fans of GnR/Axl gave the album a shot. They listened to it at least once. You really think there is a high number of people who 1, haven't heard CD to this day and 2, were people who loved GnR/Axl enough to buy their work but wouldn't buy an Axl led GnR album? I really believe that's a myth.

"and instead he had to try and please a bunch of mulletfucks"" lol, and you said that you didn't insult anybody in your post. Who are mullet*cks anyway? Does that describe a certain age of poster? What exactly are you saying here.

"""who think Eddie Van Halen is the best technical guitarist in history.""" Again, a huge over generalization on your part. I've never seen anybody say that EVH is the best technical guitar player in history. Millions of people love his work though.

"""It's like if someone wrote a really good book but the only people who read it were comic book fans who wanted it to be like Spiderman.""" Maybe. But aren't people allowed to like and dislike music for whatever reason they want? Are there albums out there you dislike? Should you be criticized for your reasons? Fans don't like albums for a variety of reasons. People dislike Metallica because one album had a weird drum sound. Who cares, really, what people's reasons are. Either you enjoy the music or you don't.

"""but I do think the reception it got is horribly unfair""" It got pretty good reviews by most of the professional reviews that I saw in major publications. The album also sold pretty well, 3.5 million copies. So what was "horribly unfair" about its reception? Can you give some specific examples (and not huge generalities)

""""""""And it deserves an audience that isn't looking for an 80s nostalgia album like the vast majority of people who listened to it were expecting/demanding.""" Wow. Did you do a poll to find out this information? A bit presumptuous of you to think you know what the "vast majority of people" expected from the album. How did you find out this information?

Also, what kind of an audience does an album "deserve?" Please give me examples of the audience that CD deserved........and your opinion as to WHY that audience didn't listen to the album. (Keeping in mind that millions bought the album, millions saw the band on tour, millions listened on myspace, millions have watched the youtube video, and the album has been out five years).............where is this mystery audience and why has CD been kept away from them.

"""It's a solid 7-8 out of 10 and the best tracks are really fucking good."""" I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10.

""""Almost everyone I've talked to about the album, even those who hate it, admit that there are one or two tracks on it that they like""" so your friends have heard the album..so they aren't part of the "audience that CD deserved."

I don't understand why people can't just accept the reality that was the life of CD.

Why the need to constantly make excuses and blame other people for the album not living up to expectations.

It's the label's fault, fans weren't smart enough to appreciate it, people didn't buy it because slash isn't in the band, etc, etc, etc.

The album did pretty well for a singer who broke up his classic band, didn't release any music for 15 years and shunned the media and his fans for years at a time. It sold over 3 million copies, has allowed Axl to tour the classic songs and make a living off of them, and people still go to see the shows. That's it.

Remind me to get back to this when I'm not stuck on my phone.

CD is the only gnr album that is decent listening from top to bottom,everything else except UYI 1 is a skip fest.imo

including AFD?

lol what a stupid opinion

ironically CD is a skipfest even the diehards

a bunch of mulletfucks who think Eddie Van Halen is the best technical guitarist in history.

He is.
No, he is not.
he WAS (if you don't count blues or jazz guitarists at that time)

what a great post

Edited by Crash Diet

So basically, Groghan's entire post is just him cherrypicking quotes and interpreting them wrongly. All I'll say is, you're making this a bigger thing than it is. I probably brought that on by making a thread about it rather than a reply and using some strong words, but all I'm saying is I wish that the majority opinion on the album wasn't from people who normally wouldn't listen to music like it and only did because of the name. I'm not saying that it'd change the reception from negative to positive, I'm just sick of reading the opinions of people who think it should have sounded like AC/DC. If that makes me an ignorant child, so be it.

I really don't get why this is such a controversial opinion.

• Like 1

CD is kind of in the middle of the crossfire between classic rock/80s unreconstructed rock and 90s alternative. One side hates the industrial leanings and pro tools mish mash, the other maybe wanting Axl to do more traditional sounding record. If you liked grunge you could think that Chi dem is like a bootleg grunge song or why is GNR sounding like Nirvana?

You have to be pretty open minded to appreciative and maybe shielded from the band's history, but I think eventually CD will find a less biased audience.

Can't believe some people actually consider Malmsteen to be a musician. He makes noise.

I'm a Vai fan, but at the end of the day, he made only two standout records. Compare it to at least the classic Van Halen "six pack" and you'll get why

Eddie Van Halen was the best technical guitarist around, with what is still the best guitar tone ever.

Edited by EvH

Eddie (and Randy) had a direction and sense of melody that leaves Yngwie, Vai and Satriani way behind...those guys can sure play but on the whole they wrote pretty lousy songs.

Van Halen was the man.

Mike agrees with DOOM.

Eddie was the most technical guitarist for a few years there, probably 78~81 or so. Then Randy came along, then Maalmsteen, Vai, Satriani and others followed down the pipe line. Did they and others surpass EVH technically, yes they probably did. But Eddie always had and always will have better tone, feeling, riffs, and song writing ability. I would go as far as to say even guys like Buckethead and BBF are technically superior to EVH. But technical ability is only part of the equation. None of these guys (with the exception of Randy Rhoads and Vai's stuff with DLR) ever reached the people. They just never wrote anything that people really enjoy. I'm not saying mass appeal equals success, but it is entertainment, it is the art of performing. When people respond positivly to what you are doing, then it is good, plain and simple. Maalmstten, Satriani and others have never written anything that people love. Other than guitar nerds. Their music doesn't make people dance, or happy, or move. It's just showing off.

Edward Van Halen has written countless riffs, solos, songs, and music that millions of people really love. That is something that Vai, Satriani, Maalmsteen, Buckethead, and BBF have yet to accomplish. So yes Eddie is better than all of them.

• Like 1

Look, bacardi said something like "those kids that think that EVH is the best technical guitarist in history", which EvH replied saying he is and I said he is not.

The rest is nonsense as it has nothing to do with my or even bacardi's point to begin with.

Look, bacardi said something like "those kids that think that EVH is the best technical guitarist in history", which EvH replied saying he is and I said he is not.

You have the right not to agree. Could you give other names?

To me CD was just an ok record with a decent amount of good songs(3-5) but I feel people in this forum exaggerate that it's a master work or something. It's funny but I agree that having the name GnR plastered all over the album set with all the other baggage made it impossible to live up to expectations but I feel the album was just not that good(in comparison to any good music, ever). When I heard it it felt like Axl was trying to duplicate his old sound with a metal vibe to it mixed with 90s NIN and to top it off his voice sounded like a British metal singer(without the accent of course lol, idk how to explain it). Seriously I just think anyone who hears the record will get a few songs are good but not enough to warrant the praise it's die hard fans give it, honestly tho I thought this album was well received by everyone it's just one of those albums that you would have forgotten but what gave it it's expectations makes it memorable not the music itself.

When it first came out I listened to back to back and on heavy rotation. I use to listen to CD and DM by Metallica s they were both released... I still listen to CD while DM get s occasional spins. CD is an album that takes time you some time to get into it, but it will give you more in the long run. Most new albums are great... for the first month or two and then you put them away into a nice CD rack or never push play on your itunes again... CD however seems to have escaped this, I still listen to this album frequently (most times start to finish) I still like the songs... yes I hear the flaws (over-production etc.) but it's a great record!

My biggest problem with people who don't like CD is they haven't given it a chance, If I just listened to albums once and then decided if it's good or bad I would not like Metallica's Master of Puppets, I wouldn't like Pink Floyds The Wall... those records took time to get into (especially the latter) but once I got into them I was hooked. CD is probably not as well put together as the last two examples but it is a damn fine record with some truly amazing songs and I really don't care what anyone else says about it, as long as I know I like it for the right reasons - Good music is good music, I don't care who writes it and I'm not going to listen to a record consistently just because of a name.

Rant over :wow:

The rest is nonsense as it has nothing to do with my or even bacardi's point to begin with.

EVH is not the best technical guitarist in the world, he is however a remarkably musical and technically proficient guitar player that has come up with some genius songs and he pioneered a whole new wave of guitar playing. EVH is untouchable... aside from those 2004/07 tours... yikes!