Discuss: Jimmy Kimmel, one year on

Guest NGOG

That interview was lighthearted... anyone expecting Jimmy Kimmel to play hardball with Axl has obviously not followed the JK show... it's always lighhearted... always :)

As for any other interviewer, they don't have the balls to ask the tough questions, they know that if they piss him off he will cut them off and the maine or network they work for and that's not good because even today with his star fading he is still a huge draw for news sources and thats proven every time he does and interview either in a magazine or on television (JKS or TMS, Los Angeles times etc.)

Watch Kimmel rake Jay Leno over the coals for the whole Conan thing. He can do it when he's allowed.

There is only one interview I would like to see Axl do. Howard Stern. One hour, no commercials, no shit.

Nah, man. Joe Rogan Podcast, 3 hours!

Rogan can't touch Stern. In his heyday, Stern would get Kinison and Bobcat Goldthwait on the phone to hash things out. He'd do the same with Slash and Axl. If...he were the same Stern from the 90's...

If I have to describe Axl on Kimmel in one word, that word would be "Meaningless".

Thing is, it's only promotion when it leads to something. This didn't. Nothing particularly revealing was said. Interesting past topics were prohibited and there simply ARE no decent future plans. So yeah. Meaningless. Which is sad. I'd love to see Axl go on these shows and talk about exciting new music and releases. But that only works when they're there AND actually happen.

He was on the show to promote the Vegas residency, everything else was just talk-show banter.

Not your hard-hitting interview. All Kimmel could do is make "late" jokes. Fucking lame. The best questions were tweets from fans.

But what was up with Axl? He looked and sounded like he was on Valium and Zanax. He used to be outspoken during interviews...very confident and charismatic. He was like a stiff neck sloath. His speech was slurred. Shit, this is how he's performed since 2010. Big shock. I cringed too many times. So how was the interview? -Cringe worthy-

• Like 1

Even Del James hits harder than Kimmel did on that night.

i like kimmel, but i feel bad for him. he got caught in a tough spot. he was a pretty acerbic comedian when he started, and when he hosted the man show you couldn't imagine that kimmel ever sucking up to a guy like kanye west (and i love kanye, but kimmel's just not the kind of guy to buy into that celebrity worship circle jerk). but his show started becoming really famous on abc, so the network asked him to lose weight (he did so) to look more clean-cut and attractive, they asked him to start booking guests he couldn't care less about... and he has to kind of suck it up and kiss ass now.

he did a cover story for rolling stone where he said he hates a lot of his guests and has to pretend otherwise. i wish he'd play bat a little more, though. when he took down leno, for example, that was great. but since his show has become bigger and moved into the 11:30 timeslot, he's been playing it increasingly safe, and i miss his bitterness.

• Like 1

I had not watched Jimmy's show in a number of years before the Axl interview and was expecting him to ask Axl about Slash. Kimmel's style has changed a lot since the beginning of his show. When he started out he was letting guests drink alcohol during the interview.

I had not watched Jimmy's show in a number of years before the Axl interview and was expecting him to ask Axl about Slash. Kimmel's style has changed a lot since the beginning of his show. When he started out he was letting guests drink alcohol during the interview.

Really? :lol:

I don't know but to me Axl looked really stiff and somehow reserved..U can see this when he moves his hands..u know in small details..he was more open and relaxed on early 90s interviews.. :shrugs:

Edited by gunnari

I don't know but to me Axl looked really stiff and somehow reserved..U can see this when he moves his hands..u know in small details..he was more open and relaxed on early 90s interviews.. :shrugs:

I know what you're saying. We remember him from the 90s as so charismatic, so much more comfortable in his own skin than anyone you knew. Crazy as fuck, sure, but mad swagger about it. On Kimmel, he looks like every other person who does talk show interviews - squirmy, eager to please, and a bit scared.

That said, the reception he got when he walked in was pretty fuckin' cool. I hope that wasn't all directed by the applause sign.

• Like 1

Of course spending many years as a recluse and being hated by many does affect you in many ways. But I thought he was a little more relaxed on Jimmy Kimmel, than on That Metal Show. So who knows, maybe he is slowly but surely finding that inner peace again.

• Like 1

He didn't ask about Slash because nobody gives a shit about Slash. Pretty simple. :shrugs:

He didn't ask about Slash because nobody gives a shit about Slash. Pretty simple. :shrugs:

1,5/20

Sorry.. you failed at your tolling work.

It's impossible to fail at something you aren't doing. Just because you and 20 other people have Slash boners doesn't make Slash any more popular in the real world. :shrugs:

1,5/20

It's impossible to fail at something you aren't doing. Just because you and 20 other people have Slash boners doesn't make Slash any more popular in the real world. :shrugs:

I know that you know it but I'll say it anyway... No, there was no mention of Slash because Beta knows that her son would probably cry if someone speak of Slash, so she asked Jimmy to talk about halloween and candies instead.

1,5/20

I know that you know it but I'll say it anyway... No, there was no mention of Slash because Beta knows that her son would probably cry if someone speak of Slash, so she asked Jimmy to talk about halloween and candies instead.
You have to be shitting me. Axl brought Slash up himself. It's painfully obvious that he was dying to talk about him.

1,5/20

You have to be shitting me. Axl brought Slash up himself. It's painfully obvious that he was dying to talk about him.

I don't think we speak of the same interview.. you must be talking about a 1991 or 92 interview, I'm talking about the only interview Axl did in the last 15 years, the one where he talks about a tree and a corn...

Of course spending many years as a recluse and being hated by many does affect you in many ways. But I thought he was a little more relaxed on Jimmy Kimmel, than on That Metal Show. So who knows, maybe he is slowly but surely finding that inner peace again.

Yeah I thought so too...Like he said to his Brazilian fans that he has been "in Hell for the last 25 years"...Kinda feel little sorry for Axl that all the hating (breakup mostly) has really gone under his skin..so he is little reserved when interviewed these days and does rarely any interviews..Like a dog who has been beaten up by his owners..

Edited by gunnari

IMO it was an absolutely horrible interview. I know I'm in the minority, but if he's not gonna say anything or really want to be there, don't do an interview. Wasn't interesting in the least.

Yeah I thought so too...Like he said to his Brazilian fans that he has been "in Hell for the last 25 years"...Kinda feel little sorry for Axl that all the hating (breakup mostly) has really gone under his skin..so he is little reserved when interviewed these days and does rarely any interviews..Like a dog who has been beaten up by his owners..

He could have moved past it at some point. I get that its affected him and that does suck, but he's had opportunities to move past it and really chose not to. His status right now is completely because of what he's done.

1,5/20

I don't think we speak of the same interview.. you must be talking about a 1991 or 92 interview, I'm talking about the only interview Axl did in the last 15 years, the one where he talks about a tree and a corn...

Maybe you should rewatch the interview and pay especially close attention to the part where he talks about being late. You should also learn how to use the google search bar to find the other interviews Axl has done in the last 15 years. He speaks of your idol in every one of them. You'll love it.

Don't you find it sad that Axl has to keep mentioning Slash because nobody cares to ask him about him?