Why do so many "adults" watch wrassling?

Facekicker

• 2 months later...
Guest Len B'stard

TLDR. My point is that wrestling is for people who marry their cousins and spend their spare time shooting at beer cans in the woods.

Sounds like my lot :lol:

EDIT: Fuck, i've done it again! I was only in the poetry thread, sorry, pointless bump! :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Butthurt conveyed through self deprecation? Naaaah, doesn't really make sense that, does it? Nice try though, give yourself a hand :lol:

I get the appeal - it's soap operas for men. It's utterly mindless, but let's be honest, who here doesn't watch something that is utterly impossible to defend (mine: the Walking Dead)...

What I find kind of strange, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, is that wrestling has been able to remain viable as a business despite the massive growth of Ultimate Fighting. Why watch something fake when there's guys doing the real thing down the road or on another channel? I suppose UF doesn't have the same level of drama. As I recall, there was more emphasis on story in wrestling. But I always assumed that since the days UF starting blowing up that the audience for wrestling would take a huge hit. As I said, I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it.

I get the appeal - it's soap operas for men. It's utterly mindless, but let's be honest, who here doesn't watch something that is utterly impossible to defend (mine: the Walking Dead)...

What I find kind of strange, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, is that wrestling has been able to remain viable as a business despite the massive growth of Ultimate Fighting. Why watch something fake when there's guys doing the real thing down the road or on another channel? I suppose UF doesn't have the same level of drama. As I recall, there was more emphasis on story in wrestling. But I always assumed that since the days UF starting blowing up that the audience for wrestling would take a huge hit. As I said, I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it.

When it's fake you can control the tempo and you don't get 10 minutes of two guys rolling around on the floor in the same hold. Also, the moves they do use in UFC are nowhere near as exciting. Nobody goes to the top of the cage. Don't get me wrong, I watch UFC also, but they are completely different products that are entertaining for completely different reasons.

• Like 1

The alternative to the spectators being gay, and hence coming to enjoy the sight of the muscle men prancing about, if course that they for some reason find the overtly over-played and clichéd drama as well as the ridiculous fake fighting somehow entertaining. Well, what makes most sense to you?

Guest Len B'stard

Muhammad Ali actually got his trash talk from a wrestler. True story. Back in the day Cassius Clay was a sweet boy, really nice with nothing loud and lairy about him...until one day he went to see a wrestler called Gorgeous George, part of whoose schtick was, as is the case of many wrestlers was doing shit like going 'I AM THE GREATEST, I CAN NOT BE BEAT, I'M THE PRETTIEST THING ON TWO FEET, IF THIS BUM EVEN MESSES UP MY HAIR I'M GONNA ANNIHILATE HIM!' and people in the crowd would boo and hiss, everybody came to see this big loudmouth get shut up by someone, they even threw beers at him, to which he would respond by body slamming that audience member (which Clay/Ali later found was part of the whole act, the guy was in on it) but Ali remembered just being so mad at this guy like 'oooh, i wish somebody would shut that bum up!'.

And thats where the whole Ali schtick came from :) And quite frankly, looking over it all with that in mind, it does have that feel to it, thats playing up feel, it's just confidence beyond a sensible interpretation of the term...and thats kind of always the way I understood Ali's confidence, on that very level, like someone playing the heel wrestler, it has the same sense of fun and silliness to it.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Does anybody remember English wrestling? Probably none of you are old enough, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki, Gorgeoue George Gilette, Big Daddy, Mick McManus and all them?

• Like 1