How much of the antipathy towards DJ is because of his style?

saber_

His style doesn't matter to me one bit to be honest. Even Ashbaswag and all that stuff doesn't bother me.

I judge him strictly on his playing. In my opinion, he nails about half the material and doesn't try very hard to do the rest right.

It's all subjective though. I'm sure many fans hear everything he plays and don't have a problem with it. There are those that prefer his TIL solo for example. By the same token, there are people who are convinced I'm deaf because I prefer Robins playing.

• Like 1

How much of the antipathy towards DJ is because of his style? If DJ changed his style and look, would some of the more critical fans be more accepting of him?

Totally agree and I have to say I love DJ's addition to GNR live. You cant see a GNR show from 2009 + and say he isn't absolutely mesmerising live! Never understood the hate - same with Robin (although I think DJ is a better player, sorry broski!). Even though 99% of people wont admit it, 99% of the time = He's not Slash. There, I said it.

• Like 1

His playing style is much more of a problem then his dress style. He's got no soul to his playing. It's very workman, dumbed down, and generic.

WOW. Yeah im in the complete opposite side of the fence to this view! Have you actually seem him live and be honest!!

He is actually a decent showman, jumping around the stage and having fun. I personally can't say his guitar playing impresses me aside from not sounding horrible with the older tunes but I am not too concerned with his appearance overall

He knows how to work a crowd, that's for sure.

Some would call it cheesy and clichéd, since he does the same "moves" at every show.

I think his "look" and constant media/money whoring is a little ridiculous. But I don't blame the guy for trying to make money.

I think he tries WAY too hard to be a rock star. His stories bragging about how much booze he could drink, how much ass he kicked, yelling at elderly maids in hotel rooms.....all seem way too forced and like he was the little nerdy emo kid who was trying to look cool for the older cool kids.

Guitar wise.........don't know. Haven't heard him on a GnR album yet.

Funny for you to ask this question when you are one of the people who make fun of Slash's look and style.

I think he was a good hire though.

Guy loves the style music I like.

He loves to create and produce music.

I'd love for Axl to let DJ and BBF produce the next album, from start to finish. If they ran the show I bet we'd get an album every 2 years.

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be more accepting. His style is just the icing on his suck cake. If he weren't such a poser, he'd still have no contributions to GNR, and he'd still be fucking up a good number of his parts during shows, and he'd still be a musician far below the caliber of those you'd hope Axl would be working with.

I wouldn't be more accepting. His style is just the icing on his suck cake. If he weren't such a poser, he'd still have no contributions to GNR, and he'd still be fucking up a good number of his parts during shows, and he'd still be a musician far below the caliber of those you'd hope Axl would be working with.

How would you feel if Axl dumped DJ, Pittman and Dizzy. Took the rest of the guys to the studio for a few months and they released a straight forward rock n roll album. Not years of tinkering, re-recording, layering - just wrote, recorded and released an album within a year.

How would you feel if Axl dumped DJ, Pittman and Dizzy. Took the rest of the guys to the studio for a few months and they released a straight forward rock n roll album. Not years of tinkering, re-recording, layering - just wrote, recorded and released an album within a year.

I don't care what kind of music he releases at this point. And I don't care who's in the band really. I just want him to release some fuckin' music. Unfortunately, I don't think that's gonna happen.

I don't care what kind of music he releases at this point. And I don't care who's in the band really. I just want him to release some fuckin' music. Unfortunately, I don't think that's gonna happen.

Well hopefully forum members can band together and raise enough money to show Axl that we really care about him and wish he'd release new music. From reading this forum, it appears that Axl doesn't realize any of that.

His playing style is much more of a problem then his dress style. He's got no soul to his playing. It's very workman, dumbed down, and generic.

WOW. Yeah im in the complete opposite side of the fence to this view! Have you actually seem him live and be honest!!

Yes. I saw them in Indy in 2011. He dumbs down all of the Chinese stuff. Of the few parts he does play note for note, he changes the phrasing and loses all emotion and soul. The Sorry solo is the biggest offender to me. He plays all the same notes, but he does it without any of the soul or energy. He came off to me as a bar band player who gets to play for big crowds. Everything about his stage presence was generic and calculated. I really didn't have that opinion of him until I saw them live.

• Like 1

How much of the antipathy towards DJ is because of his style? If DJ changed his style and look, would some of the more critical fans be more accepting of him?

Totally agree and I have to say I love DJ's addition to GNR live. You cant see a GNR show from 2009 + and say he isn't absolutely mesmerising live! Never understood the hate - same with Robin (although I think DJ is a better player, sorry broski!). Even though 99% of people wont admit it, 99% of the time = He's not Slash. There, I said it.

Robin was out of tune, and his awkward, staccato erratically timed playing actually offended me as a musician.

• Like 1