This I Love...was it intended for Slash on lead guitar?

Ace Nova

Please do not mistake this for an attempt at trolling. I have too much respect for Axl, Guns N' Roses and the members of this forum. For whatever reason, every time I hear this song, I wonder what it would have been like with Slash on lead guitar....just sayin'.....

I wonder how different it would have been.

Dj was given the ok from Axl to do his own thing with the song instead of playing it note for note, which kind of sucks because it hurts the song. Robin's solo absolutely makes the song, and it's the solo I will personally always associate with the song regardless of who plays it live.

I believe Slash had an opportunity to create an epic solo out of this before the bands breakup. Shame. But on the same tocan, it's such a beautiful song so it's irrelevant whether or not Slash played it.

Edited by ARBeast
  • Like 2

Yeah you can only wonder what Slash could have bought to it, but I think that what Robin put down is as good as anything at least I could have expected for the song, and it's a shame that there was no opportunity for Robin to perform it live.

What I would really like to hear though is an earlier demo of this song, even if it's just Axl with a piano.. the version on the album is quite dramatic with the instrumentation, and I imagine an earlier version would be more emotional.

Edited by rhiad85
  • Like 1

Axl told Kurt Loder in a 1990 interview with MTV that the song "Coma" was Slash's baby. From Axl's POV, I think TIL was intended to be something incredible from both Axl and Slash to the world, kind of like november rain was. The issue was, Slash hated November Rain and hated this song. Slash hates ballads, even though ballads are necessary for great bands to have success. They just change things up. Notice Slash never does ballads on his own.

So the issue here was Axl's creative control, Axl wanted things that Slash didn't see the light on. Then again, you can't force an epic solo out of a guy who's career is based on his heart and soul through his guitar, that he just isn't into.

It's an interesting dilemma. But I agree, what could have been.

• Like 1

of course. But Slash wasn't interested. I'm not sure but I think that's why Axl brought in Tobias i.e. someone who would work with him on these songs.

I wonder how many of the other one's Slash could have been on. Catcher in the Rye possibly.

SOD, TWAT - or are they too late.

Madagascar, no because it's about the band. One of the first things they did in the studio without Slash?

It's not so much ballads, just working with Axl on his songs. Axl goes really epic, not just ballads like Fall to Pieces or Starlight.

But there was probably a record with half Snakepit, half Izzy's songs on ju Ju Hounds plus TIL and Catcher. Late 90s it could have been alright.

It's a Stephanie ballad, and was started in 1993-1994, so I would assume so

I actually think it was originally about Erin. Miser cracked that one I believe. I think the lyrics were written before he met Steph, if not mistaken.

So was it intended for Slash?

Please do not mistake this for an attempt at trolling. I have too much respect for Axl, Guns N' Roses and the members of this forum. For whatever reason, every time I hear this song, I wonder what it would have been like with Slash on lead guitar....just sayin'.....

If it had been released with the UYI lineup it would probably have featured Slash on guitar. But I don't think Axl back in 1992 as he wrote it gave any thoughts to who would potentially add guitar parts to it, or even if there ever would be guitar parts to it.

It's a Stephanie ballad, and was started in 1993-1994, so I would assume so

I actually think it was originally about Erin. Miser cracked that one I believe. I think the lyrics were written before he met Steph, if not mistaken.

Axl said Erin never said goodbye in an interview I think. Also they were both abused as kids. They hold the pain inside etc.

Better, SOD, TWAT seem Seymour inspired?

Not a bad trilogy.

Finck's solo is out of this world. It's interesting that the only guitars on the track are from Finck and Bumble. No Paul, no Fortus, not even any Bucket. Wonder if it was a case of Axl wanting to showcase Finck, waiting for Slash, or just not wanting that many guitars on it? As much as I love Finck's solo it's beautiful to hear the orchestral arrangements behind it on the multitracks.

Finck did a great solo, along with Better he did great. I wonder if there ever was a Slash solo on it or if it was one of the songs Axl wanted Slash to play on CD. SOD and TWAT could also be Slash.

TIL, Better, SOD, TWAT all very GNR.

Somehow it's a song that has a definitive 90's vibe to it….and it's also, by far, the most successful/popular song on CD, both on record and live.

Slash's solo on it would have made it go from great to epic, a la November Rain.

It makes me wonder when people complain about TIL lyrics… I mean seriously I can't even imagine what those people would have to say about the lyrics from Don't Cry or Patience then...

"Give me a whisper

And give me a sigh
Give me a kiss before you
tell me goodbye"
….
"I sit here on the stairs
'Cause I'd rather be alone
If I can't have you right now
I'll wait, dear"
:lol:
Edited by trqster