Chinese Democracy may become the most underrated album in history.

Ace Nova

CD I think is already a cult classic in its own right. Everything from its backstory- 15 years, 15 mil, the chicken coop, the poop, Shaq, Dr. Pepper, etc., etc., solidify its status. Somehow it was so hyped that the music flew under the radar. As the smoke clears the continual critical and public reexamination of the album has made and continues to make its artistic merits more apparent. It kind of has a vibe somewhere between and equal parts- White Album and Exile.

You are delusional. The White Album and Exile are two of the most extraordinary long players from that, 1960s generation of British bands. Their songs are enduring and part of our cultural tapestry - not just musically, but politically. Chinese is an album which did not raise a flicker of interest when released and had no attachment to the milieu in which it was released. The most interesting thing about it is that it took ten years to release.

One problem with this theory that, ''it will grow in stature, with future generations'', is that it is simply not good enough. To say that ''an album is underrated'' is to imply that it has some overlooked (or unfairly criticised), brilliance such as Queen II. CD does not have the tunes. There is TWAT and then there is Better and outside those two, you are struggling amidst a bunch of indifferent ballads, nu-metal rips and sour lyrics (lyrically, I would actually make the argument that it possesses Axl's poorest innings by far). Where are the songs, which future generations are supposed to rehabilitate? They simply don't exist!

Not saying its gonna happen for Chinese, and Exile is in my top 3 Stones albums of all time. But lets not pretend Exile was considered a massive success for the Stones right out of the gate. It was actually widely criticized and unpopular at first and didnt really even have a hit on it. Keith admits so in his book. It was only 10 to 15 years later where the album had become appreciated and considered a classic like it is now.

• Like 2

CD I think is already a cult classic in its own right. Everything from its backstory- 15 years, 15 mil, the chicken coop, the poop, Shaq, Dr. Pepper, etc., etc., solidify its status. Somehow it was so hyped that the music flew under the radar. As the smoke clears the continual critical and public reexamination of the album has made and continues to make its artistic merits more apparent. It kind of has a vibe somewhere between and equal parts- White Album and Exile.

You are delusional. The White Album and Exile are two of the most extraordinary long players from that, 1960s generation of British bands. Their songs are enduring and part of our cultural tapestry - not just musically, but politically. Chinese is an album which did not raise a flicker of interest when released and had no attachment to the milieu in which it was released. The most interesting thing about it is that it took ten years to release.

One problem with this theory that, ''it will grow in stature, with future generations'', is that it is simply not good enough. To say that ''an album is underrated'' is to imply that it has some overlooked (or unfairly criticised), brilliance such as Queen II. CD does not have the tunes. There is TWAT and then there is Better and outside those two, you are struggling amidst a bunch of indifferent ballads, nu-metal rips and sour lyrics (lyrically, I would actually make the argument that it possesses Axl's poorest innings by far). Where are the songs, which future generations are supposed to rehabilitate? They simply don't exist!

Not saying its gonna happen for Chinese, and Exile is in my top 3 Stones albums of all time. But lets not pretend Exile was considered a massive success for the Stones right out of the gate. It was actually widely criticized and unpopular at first and didnt really even have a hit on it. Keith admits so in his book. It was only 10 to 15 years later where the album had become appreciated and considered a classic like it is now.

It sold well though and produced a transatlantic top 10 hit.

The fact that esteemed individuals such as yourself do not like it just plays into it being the underrated, underappreciated masterpiece that it is.

I think Ratt's 2010 release Infestation is extremely underrated. Fans just weren't ready for a more mature sounding Stephen Pearcy. The album did receive fairly positive reviews.

I think that in twenty years people will look back and realize that it was a classic. And will hail it as Ratt's best album.

It sold well though and produced a transatlantic top 10 hit.

I know, just pointing out it was considered a "bad" Stones album for a long time...I dont know who originally compared the two on here but I agree there are no parralels between the albums. One was a band in their prime who got together in a house in France and recorded an album in 6 months. Another was a lead singer of a huge band that broke up, that he reassembled and gradually put together an album that took 15 years. There really is nothing to compare haha.

By the laws of laissez-faire economics, demand pushing up prices, we should see Chinese Democracy retailing at a competitive price if there was a sudden influx of new listeners.

The album is currently retailing on Amazon marketplace, 30p United Kingdom, $0.01, the States!

That's the thing though. It isn't a laissez-faire economy. There is too much regulation which has artificially fixed the price of CD well below its real, intrinsic value.

I think Ratt's 2010 release Infestation is extremely underrated. Fans just weren't ready for a more mature sounding Stephen Pearcy. The album did receive fairly positive reviews.

I think that in twenty years people will look back and realize that it was a classic. And will hail it as Ratt's best album.

That just sounds crazy

That just sounds crazy

It really is too complex for people of today to understand.

I think by 2025 people will realize what a brilliant album it was.

• Like 2

That just sounds crazy

I feel that way about the Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines album.

That just sounds crazy

And only 5 years before Chinese Democracy takes over the world!

Ratt's last album was actually very good, their best since Dancing Undercover (1986).

Exactly. IMO it was the best "hard rock" album of the year. I still have a couple songs on my IPOD from it.

Unfortunately the rest of the rock world didn't agree, even though it got positive reviews.

I'm thinking 2022 that it will really be considered a classic. Just like CD.

That just sounds crazy

I could see it selling a million copies in 2022 and being hailed as a classic. Just another album that was ahead of its time.

I think of Daniel Johnson as a cult artist. I think album is called Hello, how are you?

Exile isn't a cult record in my opinion. It just wasn't commercially successful out of the blocks.

White album probably straight out hit? But it has some extra coolness for the Manson thing.

I think with CD, a song like Shacklers isn't just a rip off, it was worked on and blended Zombie and Korn and Guns perfectly. Great songs played with passion and creativity. That's why. Great lyrics, great vocals, great solos. Less biased people will see that 2030. Hi btw I was right, right? How was the apocalypse? Wish I could have been there.

Nobody is going to like Shacklers in 2030. It is an appalling song.

You haven't listened to enough Korn to know true appalling. Shacklers is as crafted as YCBM. It takes Korn into a more mainstream place.

I don't think it's gonna suddenly sell 20 million copies and cause a media shitstorm. It's a slow process from being totally dismissed to being seen as a classic album of the 00s. Sure it helps that it's a GNR album and Axl Rose is one biggest rock stars ever. I don't think a few nu metal elements really distract from the overall album. In fact it probably is a big plus. In some ways tracks like Shackers, ITW, Scraped and Prostitute take CD to the next level. It's for a broader audience than just hard rock or nu metal. Maybe those two genres have opposed fanbases? CD kind of in line with rock fans these days. They like both classic rock and new stuff? That doesn't mean they would like stuff that combines both. CD does so it will draw some criticism. With a band like GNR that had a certain ethos, to then turn it upside down in some ways is going to be problematic.

I just don't see Nirvana, Korn, NIN, Faith No More or whoever as elements that people won't like in 2030. Like these aren't unpopular songs or genres in 2015.

Teen Spirit, Got the Life, Head like a Hole, Evidence, Smack My Bitch Up are all classic rock songs. So why wouldn't people like it? Might not be true blue GNR fans but someone's going to dig it.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

That just sounds crazy

That album is a secret pleasure of mine. I felt dirty just typing that.

• Like 1

I know most of these posts are mock posts and I get it but the fact that anybody is actually suggesting and believing that it's possible in 10,15, 20 years from now that CD will be more respected, appreciated and revered is absolutely delusional. The sad part is there are those in here who truly believe it. People who think that really need some sort of help. CD is viewed at by the masses the way the most Star Wars fans view the prequels. Nobody wants to watch them and nobody wants to hear it. Most wish it could be erased from canon. That album is never and I mean NEVER going to suddenly gain more recognition. It's never gonna be viewed as an underrated classic. You don't go from being considered a fucking joke of an album by most to suddenly this iconic cult classic album. In 30 years people will still be rocking the classic tunes and when you mention Chinese Democracy people will say "huh?"

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

I know most of these posts are mock posts and I get it but the fact that anybody is actually suggesting and believing that it's possible in 10,15, 20 years from now that CD will be more respected, appreciated and revered is absolutely delusional. The sad part is there are those in here who truly believe it. People who think that really need some sort of help. CD is viewed at by the masses the way the most Star Wars fans view the prequels. Nobody wants to watch them and nobody wants to hear it. Most wish it could be erased from canon. That album is never and I mean NEVER going to suddenly gain more recognition. It's never gonna be viewed as an underrated classic. You don't go from being considered a fucking joke of an album by most to suddenly this iconic cult classic album. In 30 years people will still be rocking the classic tunes and when you mention Chinese Democracy people will say "huh?"

Chinese Democracy years from now will be more thought of than the current U2 album release, the know the one that ended up on people's Apple devices that they have trouble deleting.

Just think it will always come up and it's got great songs on it.

Better

SOD

Twat

Catcher

Madagascar

This I Love

all great tracks, the material will last

And if CD ll will be released and contain songs on that caliber, Chinese as a double album will have a better chance of having something for rock listeners that don't really know or care about it not being the classic line up.

Why do some people here have an inability to accept the fact that some people think Chinese Democracy, or certain songs on Chinese Democracy, 'stink'? I do not consider Shackler's and Scraped terrible because ''I am old school dude'' and ''cannot handle the 1990s influence''. I consider them terrible because the songs are excrement, pure and simple. They would be bad Korn songs. If Scraped and Shackler's were on a Korn album, there would be much better songs surrounding them.

No band possesses a fanbase in which, fans are not allowed to dislike an album.

Nobody said you couldn't not like?

I just said others won't be put off cos it sounds like Korn.

Whether I'm just struggling to find an arguement in you just saying its shit is a question.

I just think Shacklers is a good song. An exciting, almost addictive song. A bit like a honed DTJ, less long Locomotive. I feel like its a bit more pop rock and catchy than most Korn songs. Early Korn anyway. Recently they've been kind of getting commercial.

I think it's Axl's lyrics and vocals are little more rock n roll. Korn lyrics can be a bit awarkward. I sometimes think Alone I Break from Untouchables had some inspiration for This I Love. The vocal delivery and traumatised over wrought delivery.

Shacklers and Scraped arent really the meat of the record anyway. It's just another element to the record.

Better, SOD, Madgascar, Twat, Catcher, TIL all pretty undeniable.

I get people not liking Shacklers or ITW and even some of production excesses. But I doubt these things will really be an issue in 2030.

Shacklers will just sound like a 00s rocker.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Chinese Democracy will be forgotten. Appetite for Destruction will get more and more classic status. Maybe Illusions will be more appreciated. But no, not CD. Sorry.

Dizzy Reed has been in GNR longer than Slash- Dizzy is more Gunner than $lash.