Precisely which lines of ChiDem are played by Buckethead?

Anyone else find it baffling that six years on since the albums release, people still don't know who plays what?

Five years to be exact. It's not baffling. This is what happens when you have 5 different guitar players on the same album. The detailed nature of the production and layers doesn't help either.

Edited by Rovim

The liner notes are like the god damn cambodian jungle. Hunker down and chew some rooster, you take first watch.

But someonevwas saying Buck didnt right the riff to Scraped. I assumed he brought that one in with Shacklers and maybe helped Axl flesh out the vocal meldoy of Sorry. Each song needs a book written about it.

Think the CITR outro might be Finck..

ur probably right!

I hope there's more Bucket + Robin + Paul on a new album because the next album (doesn't matter when it happens) will probably be the last chance to hear 'em on a GN'R album.

I think the outro is Bumblefoot.

As far as there being more of the old members on the next album, I doubt it.... Chances are it will be the material they wrote during the CD sessions, but I'm sure by now Bumble has rerecorded over 90% of Buckethead's stuff and I'm sure that Axl has had Dj record over Finck's parts. Paul I'm sure could still be on, since he was on CD songs even though he hadn't been in the band for years. I'm guessing since he is a close friend of Axl, he's still considered a part of the band.

Chinese Democracy

the guitar right before Robin's main riff (0:47)

the shredding guitars right at the start of the song and before the solo (1:33) (2:53)

the 2nd bit of the main solo (3:22) that's extended through the outro, following Axl's vocals (3:38)

Shackler's Revenge

the main riff (0:00) (0:24) (1:08) (3:31)

the industrial guitars on the left channel on the verses (0:10) (1:12)

the whammy guitar riffing during the main chorus ("I dont believe there's a reason") (0:54) (1:43)

Better

the lick right before the 2nd verse (1:20)

the 1st guitar solo (2:15)

the shredding licks and the killswitch right before Robin's solo ("All that I wanted") (3:24)

Street of Dreams

The outro solo (3:50)

If The World

Flamenco guitars throughout (0:07) (2:00) (3:07) (4:12)

Solo (3:19)

There Was a Time

The guitar following Axl's vocals on the 1st verse (0:14-0:55)

Outro guitar solo (4:43 thro the ending)

Scraped

The lick right before the 2nd verse (1:15)

The outro guitar solo (2:55)

Riad

Guitar licks before the choruses (1:28) (2:26)

The guitar "duel" at the ending of the song (Bucket on the left, Ron on the right) (3:30)

Sorry

The main wah riff played throughout

The main guitar solo (2:56-3:38)

The wah guitar on the left at the ending (5:35-5:58)

I.R.S.

Guitar Solo (3:33-3:54)

Maddy

Guitar on the left after the verses (1:09-1:40)

Main Solo (3:02)

Wah guitar on the left during the 2nd verse (1:57-2:56) (I am not totally sure, could be Robin during the verses but I'll check, it's probably Bucket)

Prostitute

Guitar following Axl's vocals on the left (0:36-0:58) (1:44-2:10) (3:28-3:33)

Both guitar solos (3:03) (4:19)

Shredding reeeeally low in the mix starting at (4:54)

Keep in mind that most of his rhythm stuff is on the left channel, but there's Rich, Paul and Ron that also added some of their guitar tracks on the left channel so it's hard to know exactly. Songs like Maddy and Prostitute feature him heavily on the rhythm.

I didn't know bucket was on that much material... I always imagined Scraped and sorry were newer songs written after he left.

I believe som stuff will be rerecorded but since Axl isn't mad at Robin and Bucket, I don't believe he would lose a great song just to not have 'em on board on a new album or to lose a great guitar solo just to replace it. I truyl believe Axl fights for the best sound, doesn't matter who plays.

So how can we say Axl is such a prolific song writer if he had so much help? Sometimes people here say Axl did most of the work to support a pro Axl argument, then sometimes people say Paul, bucket, etc, brought in songs (Shacklers bucket, better robin etc). That would make it seem like Axl just added vocals to instrumentals written entirely by other people. Which is it?

So how can we say Axl is such a prolific song writer if he had so much help? Sometimes people here say Axl did most of the work to support a pro Axl argument, then sometimes people say Paul, bucket, etc, brought in songs (Shacklers bucket, better robin etc). That would make it seem like Axl just added vocals to instrumentals written entirely by other people. Which is it?

Axl and Izzy did pretty much all the writing back in the day. Today GNR is more of a band......everybody has input.

Axl let's everyone have their contributions.

Axl and Izzy did pretty much all the writing back in the day. Today GNR is more of a band......everybody has input.

But Izzy and Slash wrote the instrumentals. So wouldn't that mean Slash wrote a lot with all the riffs and solos he came up with? Like how Robin had the Better riff or Bucket had the shacklers riff?

This conversation leads me to a few memories:

1) Axl interview for Musician Magazine. 92. The guy asks him if Izzy will be missed as a songwirter because there are many Izzy songs on UYI. Axl replies: There are Izzy songs there because I wanted those songs there (I'm not quoting because I don't remember the exact words)

2) Slash and Brian May and others complaining and or talking about Axl hearing them play for hours and hours in the studio to get seconds of one thing here and there.

One thing is to bring instrumentals. But to know what to do with it, how to build it, etc... it's another thing, that's where magic happens. It's like Slash's Snakepit first album or the solo stuff from Izzy. Cool stuff here and there, some nice riffs, blablabla. BUT? C'mon, Slash was fooling around with the intro of Sweet Child, didn't want to record it, never wanted t play it. If it wasn't for Axl, there would be no Sweet Child. Apart from some of the most amazing lyrics ever made in rock history, it takes more than creating a riff or a solo to make one hell of a song. And that's one of the reasons Axl Rose is Axl Rose.

This conversation leads me to a few memories:

1) Axl interview for Musician Magazine. 92. The guy asks him if Izzy will be missed as a songwirter because there are many Izzy songs on UYI. Axl replies: There are Izzy songs there because I wanted those songs there (I'm not quoting because I don't remember the exact words)

2) Slash and Brian May and others complaining and or talking about Axl hearing them play for hours and hours in the studio to get seconds of one thing here and there.

One thing is to bring instrumentals. But to know what to do with it, how to build it, etc... it's another thing, that's where magic happens. It's like Slash's Snakepit first album or the solo stuff from Izzy. Cool stuff here and there, some nice riffs, blablabla. BUT? C'mon, Slash was fooling around with the intro of Sweet Child, didn't want to record it, never wanted t play it. If it wasn't for Axl, there would be no Sweet Child. Apart from some of the most amazing lyrics ever made in rock history, it takes more than creating a riff or a solo to make one hell of a song. And that's one of the reasons Axl Rose is Axl Rose.

When did Brian may ever complained about Axl hearing him play for hours just to get seconds of one thing?

Pretty sure he never did.

He did. He played for a while, then Axl and Caram pieced together the solo for Catcher in the Rye. According to Axl, when they played it for Brian, he said, " But that's not what I played!"

But that's not complaining about playing for hours just to get a few seconds of one idea. It's complaining about how different the result of his playing was from what he originally played because Axl and some other guy copy/pasted ideas May played to form the Catcher demo solo.

Edited by Rovim

Hollywood Rose day, certainly. Slash's contributions to AFD are huge as are Duff's. In fact it was Izzy and Slash who knitted together Mr Brownstone - not Axl. It was Slash who provided the riffs for Jungle, SCOM and RQ. Duff made a vital contribution to PC. You are talking cock and balls.

• Like 1

Mehhhh... we sure the ending solo/outro under the vocals in Street Of Dreams is still Bucket?
On the 'Other Instruments' stem I hear some more Bucket-ish guitars, but the main guitar track stem sounds more like Bumble or Fink doing what used to be Bucket's part. Or maybe it's Bucket still. I might be nuts. Probably am.

Come on man :P

Axl and Izzy would come up with the nucleus, not a finished product-what you're suggesting is ridiculous.

How is the GNR of today is more of a band? lol

Mehhhh... we sure the ending solo/outro under the vocals in Street Of Dreams is still Bucket?

On the 'Other Instruments' stem I hear some more Bucket-ish guitars, but the main guitar track stem sounds more like Bumble or Fink doing what used to be Bucket's part. Or maybe it's Bucket still. I might be nuts. Probably am.

Yeah, it's Bucket.