GNR references in Music and Movies

wasted

I've noticed a few small ones recently, but I'm sure there many more.

On Marshall Matters 2 LP, Eminem on the bonus track Baby he raps "I'm back with an Appetite for Destruction and a recipe for disaster"

In the recent Vince Vaughan movie, The Internship, some guy says "Welcome to the Jungle, essay" while they are trying to sell motorized scooters to OAPs. (mexican/spanish lingo not sure how you spell)

Also, I remember You're Crazy was used for a scene in a bar in the Dennis LeHane adaptation "Gone, Baby, Gone" movie.

I've noticed a few small ones recently, but I'm sure there many more.

On Marshall Matters 2 LP, Eminem on the bonus track Baby he raps "I'm back with an Appetite for Destruction and a recipe for disaster"

In the recent Vince Vaughan movie, The Internship, some guy says "Welcome to the Jungle, essay" while they are trying to sell motorized scooters to OAPs. (mexican/spanish lingo not sure how you spell)

Also, I remember You're Crazy was used for a scene in a bar in the Dennis LeHane adaptation "Gone, Baby, Gone" movie.

I could be wrong but I think Appetite for Destruction was somewhat of a phrase even before the record dropped. I don't think the Eminem lyric is necessarily a GN'R reference but I could be wrong.

Jay-Z references Axl/GN'R quite often. He has a track called Guns and Roses, he refers to himself as "black Axl Rose" on a track, and on "Power (Remix") he says, "They tryna Axl Rose you, Welcome to the Jungle."

The boys also cameod in this Dirty Harry movie:

Film came out in 1988, iirc. Distributed by Warner Bros., which owns Geffen Records, which distributed Appetite for Destruction. So, it was some incestual cross-promotion, but in retrospect, it's pretty cool.

Guest Len B'stard

The entire band are in The Dead Pool.

NWA had song called Appetite 4 Destruction? randy might know but hes joined the witness protection program or something.

They certainly do :)

I was watching Step Brothers the other day, they ass raped SCOM in that movie. Just ass raped it.

Hell yeah they did!

Let's see off the top of my head there's also the SCOM cover in that Johnson & Johnson commercial and a similar cover in the remake of Flowers in the Attic.

George Lopez also called Ernie "Axl Gross" in an episode of his show once.

There's a character in the show The Middle named after Axl.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire had a question about Axl the other day.

WTTJ is also played briefly in the movie Selena and is in the game GTA: San Andreas.

Some dumb Disney show called Suite Life On Deck once had two kids pretending to be Axl and Slash and they did a parody of "November Rain" called "December Snow."

Beavis and Butthead also did a parody of the "November Rain" video once.

"You Could Be Mine" in Terminator 2: Judgement Day and Terminator Salvation.

"Paradise City" in the game Burnout Paradise and that shitty movie Rock of Ages.

Oh and let's not forget the shitty cover of SCOM in Guitar Hero II and WTTJ in Guitar Hero III and all of CD on Rock Band.

so...yeah...the list goes on

Edited by rocknroll41

The Dead Pool was the Dirty Harry movie and "Welcome to the Jungle" was played a lot. It was about a rocker who is filming a video for the WTTJ song. Anyway, then there's this dead pool list and people are killed.

There are three scenes with GNR. one at the funeral for Jim Carrey's rocker character. Then when Dirty Harry is questioning them, but they just look at him and never say a word. Then there's a scene where Slash shoots a harpoon but hits the wrong object. I don't think the whole band is in that scene. I remember thinking, where was Axl?

Anyway, the movies was cool never really explained exactly who GNR were? Backup band? Not sure. Maybe since Jim Carrey was lip singing and not very well, it wasn't really his song in the movie?

Anyway, the dead pool was a list of people who got killed in the movie and Dirty Harry had to find him.

I think I remember Axl saying that Clint Eastwood told him how cool the song was.

I was watching Step Brothers the other day, they ass raped SCOM in that movie. Just ass raped it.

somebody also did a horrible Its So Easy cover on Tarantinos Deathproof.

YCBM in Salvation and T2.

Jungle was in Black Hawk Down and Death Race.

• 3 weeks later...

On the Radio, by Regina Spektor: reference to November Rain :lol:

On the radio
We heard November Rain
That solo's really long
But it's a pretty song
We listened to it twice
'Cause the DJ was asleep

And on the radio
You hear November Rain
That solo's awful long
But it's a good refrain
You listen to it twice
'Cause the DJ is asleep
On the radio

Guest Len B'stard

I heard the polar opposite, that he thought it was a bunch of shit (Eastwood i mean). Theres even a quote thing from Eastwood in the back of the Mark Putterford book that simply reads 'eh, nice record' in the back of the book where it gives celeb quotes on GnR.

The cracked.com podcast talks about them all the time.

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts because they're discouragingly long but I know Michael Swaim is a fan. He wore a Use Your Illusion t-shirt in of the Agents of Cracked episodes and I'm sure he's made other references.

The cracked.com podcast talks about them all the time.

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts because they're discouragingly long but I know Michael Swaim is a fan. He wore a Use Your Illusion t-shirt in of the Agents of Cracked episodes and I'm sure he's made other references.

If you've got an hour to kill doing chores or commuting or something, give it a shot.

Their podcasts tone down the humor and bring a lot of interesting discussion out.