Comparing GNR live performances to other acts

Bruce Springsteen plays Bon Scott's hometown and opens the show with "Highway to Hell."

Perth Arena, Feb 8, 2014

this is what I mean.

be an artist,Axl.artists get good ideas(like Bruce doing this),they write music(Bruce and everyone else),

they RESPECT their fans.the ones that keep you with hookers and BMW's and all the money in the world.

if i pay 150+ for a ticket,that means I have to disregard something else I might want.

it's a lot of money just for a night.

it's DISRESPECTFUL to us fans to never change anything significant on the setlist over a decade(!).

i saw this show in 2006 at first.I want a major change in song order and songs played.

I'm not taking the slow Greyhound for 8 hours,finding hotel,spending cash i don't really have

on a show (CD,Jungle,Easy<etc)i know by heart.

even if it's axl rose live.

fuck that.

it means nothing anymore.

Bruce Springsteen plays Bon Scott's hometown and opens the show with "Highway to Hell."

Perth Arena, Feb 8, 2014

And this, people, is what earns you a nickname like "The Boss". What a fucking champ! I don't mean to be an over-excited fanboy here, but Bruce and the E-Street Band are everything an amazing rockband should be. They always try different songs, they take MANY requests, they do special thing like this, they sound and look amazing, the play for over 3 hours every single time and most of all they look like they're loving every minute of it.

Without a doubt one of the best if not the best live act you can see today.

Edited by username

Answering this question further, when I saw Neil Young last summer he played two new songs which still have yet to appear on an album (i.e. 'Hole in the Sky' and 'Singer Without A Song') - Young does not care about downloads and youtube by the way. He also played three songs from his then new album Psychedelic Pill, two of which exceed 10 mins, and about two-three 'deep cuts' (e.g. 'Surfer Joe') and/or songs that have not been played in years (e.g. Buffalo Springfield's 'Mr Sou'l). This, and there was still room for 'Comes A Time', 'Cinnamon Girl', 'Hey Hey', 'Rockin' in the Free World' to satisfy the casuals. It was a lot different from Newgnr's 'fixed' greatest hits setlist.

If Axl operated like Young, he would be playing two unreleased songs on this forthcoming tour of South America, a generous amount of Chinese Democracy as well as deep cuts like 'Oh My God' and forgotten Illusion tracks (say, 'Perfect Crime' or 'Yesterdays'). He would not be afraid to drop 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or 'November Rain' occasionally, just like, Young is not afraid to drop 'Heart of Gold' and 'Free World'. He would also vary this from night-to-night - it would never become a 'fixed' setlist.

Imagine how exciting, being a GN'R fan would be, if Axl operated like this? Imagine checking out the Youtube clips of the new songs or seeing the news that the guy had played 'Breakdown' for the first time in twenty years on this one particular night?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Answering this question further, when I saw Neil Young last summer he played two new songs which still have yet to appear on an album (i.e. 'Hole in the Sky' and 'Singer Without A Song') - Young does not care about downloads and youtube by the way. He also played three songs from his then new album Psychedelic Pill, two of which exceed 10 mins, and about two-three 'deep cuts' (e.g. 'Surfer Joe') and/or songs that have not been played in years (e.g. Buffalo Springfield's 'Mr Sou'l). This, and there was still room for 'Comes A Time', 'Cinnamon Girl', 'Hey Hey', 'Rockin' in the Free World' to satisfy the casuals. It was a lot different from Newgnr's 'fixed' greatest hits setlist.

If Axl operated like Young, he would be playing two unreleased songs on this forthcoming tour of South America, a generous amount of Chinese Democracy as well as deep cuts like 'Oh My God' and forgotten Illusion tracks (say, 'Perfect Crime' or 'Yesterdays'). He would not be afraid to drop 'Sweet Child O' Mine' or 'November Rain' occasionally, just like, Young is not afraid to drop 'Heart of Gold' and 'Free World'. He would also vary this from night-to-night - it would never become a 'fixed' setlist.

Imagine how exciting, being a GN'R fan would be, if Axl operated like this? Imagine checking out the Youtube clips of the new songs or seeing the news that the guy had played 'Breakdown' for the first time in twenty years on this one particular night?

I agree with everything you're saying (and had pretty much the same experience with Young, twice). But we also have to realise that Axl's back catalogue has 6 albums in it. Which is vastly different from people like Springsteen or Young, who have HUGE back catalogues. Then again, the fact that Axl isn't even using half of his says it all really.

But yeah, why the hell not whip out more of UYI? Or something from TSI? Or something from Hollywood Rose? Or Sympathy or OMG? Or Crash Diet?

• Like 1

Of course people who are die hard Axl fans and praise everything he does are going to say that seeing GnR is magical and that they put on a better show than everybody else. Any die-hard fan of any band is usually going to say that about their favorite band. So asking the question here is going to bring a lot of biased responses.

I wonder what the answers would be on a non-GnR forum?

I don't even like Bruce - haven't bought an album of his since Born In The USA. But I can look at a few youtube videos, I can see how he changes his set-list, and read professional reviews and see how he puts on a better show than Axl does. I'd go see Axl over Bruce 99 out of 100 times .....but I can still admit that Bruce puts on a better show.

Of course people who are die hard Axl fans and praise everything he does are going to say that seeing GnR is magical and that they put on a better show than everybody else. Any die-hard fan of any band is usually going to say that about their favorite band. So asking the question here is going to bring a lot of biased responses.

I don't even like Bruce - haven't bought an album of his since Born In The USA. But I can look at a few youtube videos, I can see how he changes his set-list, and read professional reviews and see how he puts on a better show than Axl does. I'd go see Axl over Bruce 99 out of 100 times .....but I can still admit that Bruce puts on a better show.

You admit he puts on a better show without seeing him live? Judge his youtubes from you experiance with Axl?

Setlist changes dont make a better show. Thats risky but good for fans who go to multiple shows. Comparing one show from one artist to another has nothing to do with setlists.

And btw the show I saw in 2006 was completely different than from 10, which was different from 12.

Ive seen GNR 16 times and theres a bunch of songs that get played live regularly that I havent heard

Twat

Riff raff

Catcher

Your crazy

Used to love her

That neil young song

Liquores and whores

I have also heard rare stuff at the shows like..

-Think about you

-Sway

-nice boys

-Sailing

-Dead flowers

-Back in the fuckin uk

-Some song with izzy and del, possibly stones song

Edited by Axl_morris

You admit he puts on a better show without seeing him live? Judge his youtubes from you experiance with Axl?

Setlist changes dont make a better show. Thats risky but good for fans who go to multiple shows. Comparing one show from one artist to another has nothing to do with setlists.

And btw the show I saw in 2006 was completely different than from 10, which was different from 12.

Ive seen GNR 16 times and theres a bunch of songs that get played live regularly that I havent heard

Twat

Riff raff

Catcher

Your crazy

Used to love her

That neil young song

Liquores and whores

-Think about you

-Sway

-nice boys

-Sailing

-Dead flowers

-Back in the fuckin uk

Ya, bro. I can judge a lot of things without personally experiencing them. I drive a Nissan Xterra.......I've never driven a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but I can't tell you those two cars drive and perform better than mine does. I've never tasted a meal cooked by Gordon Ramsey, but I can confidently tell you he makes a better meal than the cook at the small café that sits beside my work. I've never had breast implants inserted into my body, but I can tell you that Shannon Elizabeth's doctor is 100 times better than the doctor who did Tara Reid's.

And you are missing the point on the set lists. Obviously a band is going to change things up a bit for different tours (you said shows were different in 2006 than 2012). Saying a show six years later had a different set-list........come on now. Bruce, and other artists, change shows daily. If you go and watch three consecutive shows, you might get 10 different songs. If you go watch three consecutive GnR shows, you are getting the same exact set-list. Maybe, just maybe, you might get one different song.

Set-list changes DO make for a better show. That's why most bands mix it up. That's why Axl used to mix things up in the old days.

I've seen a ton of bands-

AC/DC, Roger Waters, Rush, Slash, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Robert Plant, The Eagles, The Who, Paul McCartney, U2, The Rolling Stones, Metallica, Santana, Kiss, Muse, The Foo Fighters, Green Day, Eric Clapton, Motley Crue, The Scorpions, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Eminem, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, System of a Down, Elton John, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers.... hell, there are a lot of other bands and artists I have seen, too. Point is, I have seen my fair share of acts since I started going to gigs in 2007.

With every show I have been to, I have taken something good away from it and have had nothing but good memories. Sure, some things have been disappointing, like Ozzy and David Lee Roth's voices, sound problems at shows, set lists, etc, but I have still enjoyed every show I have been to regardless of any issues at the time.

When thinking of my top gigs, there are a lot of different reasons as to why I rank that particular gig highly. For example, I saw this Japanese metal band called X Japan in 2010 at a very small theater in Chicago. They are monsters in Japan, but pretty unknown here in the states. They are also one of my favorite bands. They only played about 10 songs, there were some sound problems, and even a few mistakes. That being said, its one of my favorite gigs because they still sounded so good, my gf really went out of her way to take me, and it was a rare opportunity to see a band I love.

I have also cherished seeing lots of legends I love, like McCartney, U2, Roger doing The Wall, Rush, The Stones, etc. And at some shows, awesome things have happened like being moved to the front row at the Scorpions and catching Metallica's secret "Kill em All" show this past summer. Also saw Metallica at the front the day after that. There are other special moments I have witnessed such as the Hall of Fame and stuff.

I know it seems like I am circle jerking to the shows I have been to, and I apologize for that. I just really love the concerts I have witnessed. Anyways, there is a point to all of this. I have seen a lot of great things that do not involve Axl and the current line up. That being said, the three times I have seen GNR in 2010, 2011, and 2012, not only has the band's performances matched most of the above mentioned moments, they have surpassed it them. 3 hour performances (I know the solo spots are controversial, but I have always appreciated them), 20+ song setlists with lots of deep cuts, the band consistently delivering, and at each show I have been to, Axl's voice was very good.

TLDR: I may be biased because I love GNR so much, but looking at things from an objective standpoint, they defiantly hold up as a live act (still fucking sucks Axl is so shit at releasing material, though).

Edited by ZoSoRose

• 2 weeks later...

My first show was The Alan Parsons Project... with my dad, I was 12 years old, but one of my favorites shows indeed,the ticket says 21:00 hours, and the band started to play at 21:02....

The Cure,Kiss, GN'R, RnR All Stars, Paul McCartney, Iron Maiden, Ghost, Slayer, Franz Ferdinand, Aerosmith, Gilby Clarke, The Ocean Blue...

I didn't liked very much The Cure show, was very long (3 hours).. boring, for me hahah My favorite by FAR is GN'R and the favorite of the most Paraguayan people, you come here to ask for a show and they say: GUNS N' ROSES WAS THE BEST SHOW! .... better than Paul, and Aero.... Metallica coming in march to play here and GN'R on april, very excited about GN'R... just one show that was close to GN'R and was Iron Maiden haha

Twat

Riff raff

Catcher

Your crazy

Used to love her

That neil young song

Liquores and whores

-Think about you

-Sway

-nice boys

-Sailing

-Dead flowers

-Back in the fuckin uk

Ya, bro. I can judge a lot of things without personally experiencing them. I drive a Nissan Xterra.......I've never driven a Lamborghini or Ferrari, but I can't tell you those two cars drive and perform better than mine does. I've never tasted a meal cooked by Gordon Ramsey, but I can confidently tell you he makes a better meal than the cook at the small café that sits beside my work. I've never had breast implants inserted into my body, but I can tell you that Shannon Elizabeth's doctor is 100 times better than the doctor who did Tara Reid's.

And you are missing the point on the set lists. Obviously a band is going to change things up a bit for different tours (you said shows were different in 2006 than 2012). Saying a show six years later had a different set-list........come on now. Bruce, and other artists, change shows daily. If you go and watch three consecutive shows, you might get 10 different songs. If you go watch three consecutive GnR shows, you are getting the same exact set-list. Maybe, just maybe, you might get one different song.

Set-list changes DO make for a better show. That's why most bands mix it up. That's why Axl used to mix things up in the old days.

Several points that should be considered..

Guns play average of 3 hours, most bands play 2 hours. If guns were to play 2 hours there would be completely different setlists.

If bruce plays 3 hours, hes probably got a whole bunch of material he can play that exceeds GNRs.

A lot of GNR sobgs have never been played live because they were vocally challanging at that time, never mind 20 years layer. Coma, Dont damn me, back of bitch and they you have the songs that wont transfer live that well like prostitute, shotgun blues etc.

Also most people would only go to one show on a tour, if you follow the band chances are you Know what you are gonna expect.

Guest Len B'stard

The problem arises however when one arrives upon the glaringly obvious conclusion that Bruce Springsteen is a load of fucking shit and how most sane non-tone deaf people would rather listen to the sound of a well endowed man being doctored with anesthetic than have to endure more than a few brief fleeting moments listening to ol' Bruce of the highway.

• Like 1

Yes but for although Guns play three hours, that three hours includes one hour of jams/solo spots. When Springsteen plays for three hours, Springsteen plays for three hours.

This. I think it's always important to remember that the band plays for 3 hours, Axl for 2 hours which is very normal for any singer to pull off. Axl does nothing special. In fact, I'd take 2 hours of cohesive music than 3 hours filled with bathroom breaks.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Axls habit of running offstage every so often reminds me of an old comedy sketch where there's a guy whoose an amateur drama producer/writer who began his career as a stage actor but developed a nervous disposition that effected his bladder so 'he can't stay on stage for long periods' :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen