Why did Chinese Democracy have to be such an ordeal ?

Why did Chinese Democracy have to take as long as it did, it's a music album, no more, so why couldn't Axl just record 12 songs and release them. Why did it have to be so big.I'll never understand this, what was so special about making this particular album. Anyone have any insight.

perfectionism

Control freak (Axl)----->

Control freaks are often perfectionists defending themselves against their own inner vulnerabilities in the belief that if they are not in total control they risk exposing themselves once more to childhood angst. Such persons manipulate and pressure others to change so as to avoid having to change themselves,and use power over others to escape an inner emptiness. When a control freak's pattern is broken, “the Controller is left with a terrible feeling of powerlessness … But feeling their pain and fear brings them back to themselves”. Paradoxically, the ultimate form of control is actually letting go.

Control freaks appear to have some similarities to codependents, in the sense that the latters' fear of abandonment leads to attempts to control those they are dependent on.Recovery for them entails recognising that being a control freak helped paradoxically preserve codependency itself.

In terms of personality-type theory, control freaks are very much the Type A personality, driven by the need to dominate and control.An obsessive need to control others is also associated with antisocial personality disorder.[

Control freak (Axl)----->

Control freaks are often perfectionists defending themselves against their own inner vulnerabilities in the belief that if they are not in total control they risk exposing themselves once more to childhood angst. Such persons manipulate and pressure others to change so as to avoid having to change themselves,and use power over others to escape an inner emptiness. When a control freak's pattern is broken, “the Controller is left with a terrible feeling of powerlessness … But feeling their pain and fear brings them back to themselves”. Paradoxically, the ultimate form of control is actually letting go.

Control freaks appear to have some similarities to codependents, in the sense that the latters' fear of abandonment leads to attempts to control those they are dependent on.Recovery for them entails recognising that being a control freak helped paradoxically preserve codependency itself.

In terms of personality-type theory, control freaks are very much the Type A personality, driven by the need to dominate and control.An obsessive need to control others is also associated with antisocial personality disorder.[

So if Sade and Kate Bush work on an album a decade they're being "artists", but Axl takes 15 years, he must be an off the charts whack job.

Edited by dalsh327

Read "Chinese Whispers".

This is an interesting read. Thanks for the reference to it...I didn't know this was out there.

So what do you think about the whole thing?

I'm only about 1/2 way through it...I'm currently on the year 2000. But so far it's been a really good, interesting read...I like how it is primarily constructed just using direct quotes/interviews from all the various players (band members, producers, record company execs, etc.) rather than someone just speculating about what happened. Of course you still don't really know what to believe (people lie so just because it came directly from the horse's mouth doesn't mean it's true), but it's given me a different perspective on the break up of the band and all the different variables involved in that. And it does provide a very thorough explanation as to why CD took so long. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Del said Axl just wasn't ready to release it.

And he wasn't ready to release it because he knew it wasn't anything special.

I like TWAT more than Estranged and Catcher more Nov Rain so it's hard for me to accept he'd think that. I can see there's not those songs like Jungle, SCOM, PC that knock you out of your socks. CD is different enough to put out as a GNR album, it adds something to the canon for sure. Better, SOD, This I Love add to the shows. ITW and Sorry are interesting sonically. CD is like Latter day Zepp to me.

• Like 1

Why did Chinese Democracy have to take as long as it did, it's a music album, no more, so why couldn't Axl just record 12 songs and release them. Why did it have to be so big.I'll never understand this, what was so special about making this particular album. Anyone have any insight.

People blew smoke up Axls ass. He believed he could easily replace Slash/Duff/Steven/Matt/Izzy and create music that could hold strong among the other records. And 14 years came and went by while Axl lamented.

• Like 1

It was GnR's comeback album, Axl wanted it to put GnR back on the map better than they had ever been. The 2001/2002 lineup was his dream team of musicians, originally he wanted to put out an album every 2 years starting in 2003 to show off the new band. He wanted to drop a large amount of the old songs and be playing new hits from each album.

That could've happened too, had the album actually been released in 2003 with that lineup.