April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Maybe rest, relaxation and some exercise would improve things, but we don't know to what extent he's already doing that stuff at the end of the day.

Exercise would only help his breath control. So it's good advice if Axl wants to avoid passing on a verses of because he needs to find his breath (what we saw with TIL the other night).

But exercise isn't going to do a thing in terms of his vocal tone. The way Axl sings, or I should say, the way he makes his signature sound, won't be affected by how fit he is. The twangy, screechy, raspy vocals are produced by doing harm to his vocal chords. So in some respects, practicing more might actually make things worse. He may have to "break in" his vocal chords much like a baseball player has to break in a new glove at the beginning of a tour, which is why Axl generally sounds better at the end of a tour than he does at the beginning. But eventually all that "breaking in" will cause irreparable harm. Or, at the very least, the harm that is caused by his singing style takes much longer to heal than it did twenty to twenty five years ago.

I think we're now hearing the long term effects of someone who has made their money off of damaging their own body.

Edited by downzy

Maybe rest, relaxation and some exercise would improve things, but we don't know to what extent he's already doing that stuff at the end of the day.

Exercise would only help his breath control. So it's good advice if Axl wants to avoid passing on a verses of because he needs to find his breath (what we saw with TIL the other night).

But exercise isn't going to do a thing in terms of his vocal tone. The way Axl sings, or I should say, the way he makes his signature sound, won't be affected by how fit he is. The twangy, screechy, raspy vocals are produced by doing harm to his vocal chords. So in some respects, practicing more might actually make things worse. He may have to "break in" his vocal chords much like a baseball player has to break in a new glove at the beginning of a tour, which is why Axl generally sounds better at the end of a tour than he does at the beginning. But eventually all that "breaking in" will cause irreparable harm. Or, at the very least, the harm that is caused by his singing style takes much longer to heal than it did twenty to twenty five years ago.

I think we're now hearing the long term effects of someone who has made their money off of damaging their own body.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he started getting kind of hoarse towards the end of 2010, then all of a sudden at Rio he was singing completely cleanly again. It definitely does him damage.

He shredded his "normal" singing voice back during the Illusions tour, then somewhere between '94-'99 shifted almost entirely to the falsetto he's used ever since with varying degrees of success.

The last residency was a great example of him singing mosly cleanly, with good control and consistency and occasionally busting out that screechy rasp on the big notes. I think that's probably the best we could hope to see him at again, and I'd be satisfied with that.

• Like 1

Just makes me glad I saw him perform three times in 2010. I recall telling myself during the concerts that Axl will likely never sound as good as he does now, and to appreciate the moment as much as I can. Those performances were ultimately what I had longed to hear for nearly 20 years.

• Like 1

some exercise would improve things, but we don't know to what extent he's already doing that stuff at the end of the day.

He said during the TMS interview that he prepares for a tour by doing a lot of cardio - but he also made it clear that he really doesn't enjoy it (and it's an effort to get himself to do it).

He'd feel and perform a lot better if he hired a competent PT - that specializes in celebrity transformation - and committed himself to a gym routine. But we've been saying this for a long time now, I don't think Axl has any interest in aging 'gracefully'.

He should get DDP as his trainer ... or just do what Richard is doing to stay in shape. ;)

Why do some of you come here so much if you don't like Axl anymore? If you think he is washed up, then why do you waste your time coming to a Guns n' Roses forum. Surely there are plenty of other internet forums you could replace this one with. I'm not saying this as some "Axl nut swinger." I'm being serious here. I have been very vocal in my hopes for a reunion, I am a reunionist to my core. While I agree that Axl in 2014 is not the same performer and singer he was in 1988, I also feel he has moments and shows that are just as good now as in 1992. The first time I watched the Tokyo 92' concert I thought "man Axl sounds awful on some of these songs." SCOM being the worst. Axl sounded better the other night on SCOM than he did in 1992. But yet either some of you were not alive yet, or because Slash was there gave him a pass. My point in all of this (as a long time gnr fan) is that yes Axl has good and bad nights, it's something I have come to terms with. Axl was pretty good the other night overall, a solid 7/10 for him in 2014. Axl has not been consistantly "great or legendary" since the 80's. He has had some pretty good shows in 90's yes, Paris 92' being one of the best. But he also had less than stellar shows like Tokyo 92'. Same goes for the NUgnr era, some of you love some of the 2002, 2006, and 2010 shows, but he had bad nights then also. I saw NUgnr in Detroit in 2002 (Axl was kinda bad/bored) I also saw NUgnr in Detroit in 2011, and I thought Axl was amazing that night. It just is what it is. Yet some of you act like he is just awful all the time, well as I said earlier he has had bad concerts since the early 90's, so why are you even watching him anymore than? If he is as bad as you all claim him to be, than WTF are you even doing here? It is your right to feel the way you do, I'm not saying everyone isn't entitled to their opinions, but still why are you here? I fucking hate Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, yet I don't go to their message boards and talk shit to their fans. I have better things to do with my time. I am being serious here, I'm not trying to be confrontational. Don't say "it's because of the people" or any other BS like that, cause some of you come here everyday just to talk shit about Axl, why? Don't you have better things to do?

Why do some of you come here so much if you don't like Axl anymore? If you think he is washed up, then why do you waste your time coming to a Guns n' Roses forum.

Because many of us still care about the guy and are still hoping things will get better. It's not just bashing out of hate if you ask me.

• Like 1

Why do some of you come here so much if you don't like Axl anymore? If you think he is washed up, then why do you waste your time coming to a Guns n' Roses forum.

Because many of us still care about the guy and are still hoping things will get better. It's not just bashing out of hate if you ask me.

I can respect that, but as I said before, bad concerts out of Axl is nothing new. I agree that he is no longer capable of the legendary performances of his youth, but I have come to terms with that as a fan. But still Axl in 2014 is better than 90% of the singers on the planet, I think as a fan base we have forgotten that. Steven Tyler doesn't sound the same now as he did back in the 70's, neither does Robert Plant. Honestly I think the whole "Mickey Mouse approach" he learned from Robert Plant, but you don't hear zeppelin fans bashing Plant the way gnr fans bash Axl. I just think it's kinda sad...

Robert Plant sounded pretty good on Celebration Day all things considered but it wasn't exactly the touring schedule that Axl has, we could say if he stopped touring so much it'd be better and more productive to the progression of the band but he's allowed to earn money, the other guys need it if he doesn't exactly... there's precious little guarantee they'd work on new material or Axl would come back stronger anyway so it don't make much difference. Could go into another hibernation where the threads have even less to discuss than this purgatory the guys are stuck in.

Oh come on now, Axl can still do the screams. I agree that overall Tyler's voice has aged better than Axl's has, but go back and listen to those 70's albums and tell me Tyler still sounds the same, because he doesn't. Listen to Elton John, his voice is WAAYY different now than it was in the 70's, same for Billy Joel. It's not bad, just different. That's how I feel about Axl, his voice is different now, but (most of the time) I still say he sounds pretty good. Different yes, but still pretty good. I'm sorry but he still sounds way better on any gnr songs than Myles Kennedy does imo. Now his voice is a voice I can't stand, on gnr songs that is. His work with Slash is good though, but give me Axl's jungle, ise, and SCOM over Myles versions any day of the week and twice on sunday...

Why do some of you come here so much if you don't like Axl anymore? If you think he is washed up, then why do you waste your time coming to a Guns n' Roses forum. Surely there are plenty of other internet forums you could replace this one with. I'm not saying this as some "Axl nut swinger." I'm being serious here. I have been very vocal in my hopes for a reunion, I am a reunionist to my core. While I agree that Axl in 2014 is not the same performer and singer he was in 1988, I also feel he has moments and shows that are just as good now as in 1992. The first time I watched the Tokyo 92' concert I thought "man Axl sounds awful on some of these songs." SCOM being the worst. Axl sounded better the other night on SCOM than he did in 1992. But yet either some of you were not alive yet, or because Slash was there gave him a pass. My point in all of this (as a long time gnr fan) is that yes Axl has good and bad nights, it's something I have come to terms with. Axl was pretty good the other night overall, a solid 7/10 for him in 2014. Axl has not been consistantly "great or legendary" since the 80's. He has had some pretty good shows in 90's yes, Paris 92' being one of the best. But he also had less than stellar shows like Tokyo 92'. Same goes for the NUgnr era, some of you love some of the 2002, 2006, and 2010 shows, but he had bad nights then also. I saw NUgnr in Detroit in 2002 (Axl was kinda bad/bored) I also saw NUgnr in Detroit in 2011, and I thought Axl was amazing that night. It just is what it is. Yet some of you act like he is just awful all the time, well as I said earlier he has had bad concerts since the early 90's, so why are you even watching him anymore than? If he is as bad as you all claim him to be, than WTF are you even doing here? It is your right to feel the way you do, I'm not saying everyone isn't entitled to their opinions, but still why are you here? I fucking hate Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, yet I don't go to their message boards and talk shit to their fans. I have better things to do with my time. I am being serious here, I'm not trying to be confrontational. Don't say "it's because of the people" or any other BS like that, cause some of you come here everyday just to talk shit about Axl, why? Don't you have better things to do?

Because it's interesting... Believing Axl has seen better days and finding interest in the man and the band are not mutually exclusive ideas...

To give an analogy, I may think that my home sports club is a terrible team, but that doesn't mean I won't still go to games, watch them on television, and generally hope for the best. My interest isn't dependent on how good I think they are at any given minute.

I really don't understand why this concept is so difficult for many to grasp.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

This is Axl's best scream imho. Funny thing is that it's from 2002

This one was good. Funny thing is, I remember everyone critiquing/nitpicking the hell out of this performance back in the day. Now, i'm sure many of us would take this back in a heartbeat.

Robert Plant sounded pretty good on Celebration Day all things considered but it wasn't exactly the touring schedule that Axl has, we could say if he stopped touring so much it'd be better and more productive to the progression of the band but he's allowed to earn money, the other guys need it if he doesn't exactly... there's precious little guarantee they'd work on new material or Axl would come back stronger anyway so it don't make much difference. Could go into another hibernation where the threads have even less to discuss than this purgatory the guys are stuck in.

I agree that Plant sounded "pretty good" on Celebration Day, and as you said it was a one off performance that has been studio enhanced also. Also Page and Jones down tuned for that show, which also helped Plant's voice (which is fine imo). But I have no misconceptions that Celebration Day is better than any of my old Zeppelin boots, because it is not. How the west was won, Maryland 77', San Diego 75', and even The song remains the same are better than Celebration Day imo. Which I'm not saying Celebration Day is bad, because it is not, but it's not as good as the old stuff, plain and simple. Same goes for gnr, even if a reunionv happened and eveyone played and sounded great, it would not be better than Ritz 88' or Paris 92', it just wouldn't be.

• Like 1

This is Axl's best scream imho. Funny thing is that it's from 2002

This one was good. Funny thing is, I remember everyone critiquing/nitpicking the hell out of this performance back in the day. Now, i'm sure many of us would take this back in a heartbeat.

Yeah. Everything is relative. It's a great scream, but it was just one brief and momentary instance of Axl's greatness. The rest of the vocal performance, when compared to 2006 and 2010, wasn't anything to write home about.

The other big difference back than was people only had performances back from the classic lineups to compare. We last heard Axl with GNR in 1993 (or 94 at the R&R HOF to be specific). His return in 2001/2002 produced a very different sounding man. So it's within that context that people weren't too enthused with the vocal performances of 2002. Now, looking back on it, and comparing it to what we've heard over the past year or so, it wasn't so bad. Moreover, there were moments of brilliance (like this clip) that seem so elusive nowadays.

• Like 1

Axl's Jungle scream was quite different than the power of that scream though. He can still kill it in places but there's something seriously wrong with his vocals right now, there wasn't that much rasp in 2002 but he had power in his cleans and it didn't sound like he'd just finished crying or something, it's just worrying as a fan of the guy that his vocals are so far south of the border, he comes in with rasp for a line, then a wavering falsetto and then he's out of breath and mumbling. I know his songs are elite level singing but he's shown us in 06, 10 and parts of 12 he's still got it.

Because it's interesting... Believing Axl has seen better days and finding interest in the man and the band are not mutually exclusive ideas...

To give an analogy, I may think that my home sports club is a terrible team, but that doesn't mean I won't still go to games, watch them on television, and generally hope for the best. My interest isn't dependent on how good I think they are at any given minute.

I really don't understand why this concept is so difficult for many to grasp.

I like that analogy, and I can respect that also. Like I said before, I am asking out of curiosity, not out of judgement. I am also a fan of currently awful sports team (the detroit pistons/ detroit lions) so I know what you mean.