Hey Van Halen fans!!!

Iron MikeyJ

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's all assume that the first album is the best, ( I know you can make a strong case for Fair Warning, but honestly Van Halen will come out on top. The hits plus impact). So then what does everyone think the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best are? I am curious what my fellow VH fans have to say about this.

Only Roth era albums, let's keep this on topic...

My picks are

2nd- 1984

3rd- Fair Warning

4th- II

I know many VH fans HATE 1984, I think the album gets a bad rap. Most bands would be HAPPY if they had one album as successful as 1984, but VH has two others that were just as big or bigger. It was close for me to pick between 1984 and Fair Warning, I love both. I give the edge to 1984 because the songs are better; Hot for Teacher, Panama, I'll Wait, Jump, Drop Dead Legs, Top Jimmy they are all just stellar. I love the funky serious vibe to Fair Warning, and Dirty Movies might be my favorite VH song period, but top to bottom I feel like 1984 is the better album. II gets my final vote because I just plain think it's a better album than WACF, DD, and ADKOT. Plus Beautiful Girls and Light up the sky are better songs than any song on those other albums, add Dance the night away and it really is a great album as well.

Edited by Mike420

i wouldn't necessarily put the first album as their best but...

i'll go by your request....

1. debut

2. fair warning

3. II

4. women and children first

I would rather listen to probably all of their albums over Van Halen at this point, but it deserves it's just do. It's not only one of the best debut albums, but one of the best rock albums period. Even if I can't stand to listen to it anymore. :)

i wouldn't necessarily put the first album as their best but...

i'll go by your request....

1. debut

2. fair warning

3. II

4. women and children first

I would rather listen to probably all of their albums over Van Halen at this point, but it deserves it's just do. It's not only one of the best debut albums, but one of the best rock albums period. Even if I can't stand to listen to it anymore. :)

it has one of the best openings for any album

2. Van Halen II

3. Fair Warning

4. A Different Kind of Truth

It's very close between Van Halen II, Women and Children, and Fair Warning, and I believe A Different Kind of Truth deserves to be in the mix as well. Diver Down was a weird album, and 1984 was Hot for Teacher and nothing else for me.

Van Halen I is easily the best.

Romeo Delight and In a Simple Rhyme are pretty high on my favorite songs. I can listen to the demos and GNR demos and never get bored of either one. Too bad neither band wants to clean the demos up and put them out.

I understand you want mastered version of the original demos, but A Different Kind of Truth is pretty much nothing but the band re-polishing the demos.

But Sammy is better than Dave!?

I went Fair Warning, 1984 and then II.

That could change all the time of course...I think Fair Warning is my #1 VH album though.

edit: Dirty Movies is probs my favourite DLR era VH song too

Edited by DR DOOM

But Sammy is better than Dave!?

I went Fair Warning, 1984 and then II.

That could change all the time of course...I think Fair Warning is my #1 VH album though.

edit: Dirty Movies is probs my favourite DLR era VH song too

Fair Warning is my #1 as well

Out of likes :P

Not to derail here, but while I don't like any Sammy era album as much as the DLR ones, Sammy kills the Dave stuff live- one of those rare occurences where (for me) the replacement dude sings the old songs better than the classic frontman.

• Like 1

Out of likes :P

Not to derail here, but while I don't like any Sammy era album as much as the DLR ones, Sammy kills the Dave stuff live- one of those rare occurences where (for me) the replacement dude sings the old songs better than the classic frontman.

Well since Doom wants to talk Sammy lets do it. I personally like 5150 better than Adkot, DD, and probably WACF. I think it is the most underrated album in the VH catalogue. Sammy is without a doubt the better singer of the two, and having him in the band allowed Eddie to experiement more imo. But I think Eddie almost experimented to much, the last two songs the band did with Sammy for the best of both worlds hits, were not very good imo. Bringing Dave back into the band breathing new life into imo. They had nowhere else to go with Sammy, I think the well had run dry. Sometimes the best way to move forward is to go back to your roots, which is exactly what Dave has allowed them to do.

Having seen both eras of the band live, makes it hard for me to say which era was better live. I love the Sammy songs, and he IS the better singer. But hearing VH finally perform Hot for teacher and other classic songs really was awesome. It was something special that seeing the Sammy era didn't provide imo. Besides the only 4 songs from the Dave era that Sammy would sing were Aint talkin bout love, you really got me, panama, and jump. So thats a lot of material that was ignored for a lot of years. I know the Sammy era will be ignored now, but after so many years without the dave stuff, I can live with that. Besides Sammy still plays most of the hits live, if you want to hear them.

the most underrated VH album is III

Eddie was great on that album, some of his all time best work...but no one will know, because no one listens to that album :(

I still listen to it on occasion, and it does have some good songs on it. The whole failed reunion with DLR is what killed that album imo. You can't show up together at the MTV awards then release music with a different singer, dead on arrivial. But I agree that it has some better material than is given credit for. When I think about the albums that really show eddie experimenting I would say (in no order) Fair Warning, 5150, and III. One from each era really.

5150 would be my fav Sammy era VH album

Like I said before, it is the one nonRoth album that imo is better than some of the Roth albums. But still for me it would be

1. debut

2. 1984

3. Fair Warning

4. II

5. 5150

So it's still only 5th best imo.

@ Doom,

BTW Dirty Movies is freaking sick. It is one of the best "album" tracks ever. They should play it in concert, does anyone know if they do or ever have? I know they didn't when I saw them back in 2012.

Edited by Mike420