Most boring musician of all time

bacardimayne

Guest Len B'stard

I like Eric Claptons music in places, he's a pretty fuckin' good guitarist, my favorite album of his is the one he did with the bluesbreakers and then after that basically anything he did that had Lewisham Ginge' on it :lol: As a person i think he's a cunt on just about every level, a cunt to his mates, a cunt in his political beliefs and stances, a cunt in his approach to music and his preciousness regarding stuff that he has no just cause being precious about and a cunt in terms of his personal arrogance.

Clapton, aka the guy with the 50 year career who's basically a one hit wonder with Layla.

Even the 40~something group seem to have turned on him. The only people I know who like Clapton are like 70.

Have you listened to the entire album? Layla is far from being the only good song in it. (I know you said hit)

Sometimes he can be boring, but at his best moments he's great imo.

Edited by Rovim

He was really good when I saw him a few years back and JJ Cale was the guest. Derek Trucks was a part of the tour and they did most of the "Derek and the Dominos" album. The only lull was "Wonderful Tonight" and that was over pretty fast. The only new songs he did were the one or two from "Road to Escondido".

I actually do get why you think he's boring, I mean you can watch the DVDs of the shows and fall asleep to them (although I'm partial to the one with Steve Winwood), but the one I was at was someone who you could tell was completely into it and delivering the goods. I wish I saw the shows where he was drunk because he was more engaging with the crowd, but I had no complaints about the show I went to.

I'd rather see Leslie West or Jeff Beck in a club as far as guitarists go, or Joe Walsh. I'd only buy Clapton tickets for my stepdad because he's never seen him in concert.

layla and other assorted love songs is a perfect album that in most cases (this being Claptons) when an artist releases such a record his entire career can just fall on that one album. Meaning that this one album basically trumps other peoples careers.

Well to put my answer to boring would be Metallica, since 99% of their music sounds the same(80s) and the black album is there only good fun album (and it's not perfect either).

Another one would be The Police which basically white guys doing reggae which is a genre full of boredom.

Edited by MEXzilla

A lot of the safer rock musicians from the 70's and 80's could contend for this title. Steve Miller Band, Foreigner, Journey, and the such. Not a single musician, but whatever.

I do find Eric Clapton's solo material to be exceptionally boring, but he was a huge part of one of the most acclaimed albums of all time in Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs and also was in Cream, so there are several musicians on the whole I'd put ahead of him. Blind Faith's not so bad, either. But he was also surrounded by some incredible musicians in all of these instances.

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest musicians of all time. I'm not saying that because it's a popular opinion, but his music is fantastic. He's a true genius imo, and I don't use that word very often. Maybe his live shows are boring (idk, never been to one) but as a songwriter, you can't get much better then him.

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest musicians of all time. I'm not saying that because it's a popular opinion, but his music is fantastic. He's a true genius imo, and I don't use that word very often. Maybe his live shows are boring (idk, never been to one) but as a songwriter, you can't get much better then him.

I agree, solid songwriter. But pretty poor performer. I like almost every cover of Dylan's that has been done, but the original versions are tough for me to listen to. Also don't like his singing voice all that much.

I agree, solid songwriter. But pretty poor performer. I like almost every cover of Dylan's that has been done, but the original versions are tough for me to listen to. Also don't like his singing voice all that much.

Many of the covers of his songs are better than his originals.

However, Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing It All Back Home, Blood On The Tracks, Blonde On Blonde, and a few other albums are solid albums where he is in great voice. And as for being a performer, he was able to do a lot with just his voice and a guitar back in his folk days. He managed to have a pretty powerful performance with just one guy on stage, when that could have been very boring. And as for him being boring as a rock guy, he has had his moments, his section of the Last Waltz being the highlight of that entire concert.

I agree he can definitely be boring and not be a great performer at times, but he was pretty consistent in the 60s and 70s in that regard. And if you don't like his voice, which is understandable, then obviously that will affect your decision. And as a songwriter, well yeah, he's up there with the greats on that and there's really no argument otherwise.