Dave Letterman to retire 2015/Final Episode Thread

JONEZY

Its the end of an era. I haven't watched his show in a long time, but he was awesome in the 80's. Never missed a show.

He didn't give a date yet, but it will be interesting to see who is on his final show. I'm betting Bill Murray will be there for sure.

I wonder who they will get to replace him? I don't watch the talk shows all that much unless they have a guest I want to see. Otherwise, I find them boring.

I do like Jimmy Fallon, so I do try to catch his act before the guests come out. He's funny.

I don't think Colbert would want to though - by being on Comedy he has less of a filter than he'd have in a major network and he still has a HUGE following.

I wonder who they will get to replace him? I don't watch the talk shows all that much unless they have a guest I want to see. Otherwise, I find them boring.

I do like Jimmy Fallon, so I do try to catch his act before the guests come out. He's funny.

Kimmel is my personal favorite of the current late night hosts.

Colbert would be awful on one of the "normal" late night shows.

Agreed. I don't think he'd be that funny without his persona he has on the Colbert Report, and I either don't think it'd fly on a regular late show, or it would just be terrible and awkward.

A lot of the suggested replacement hosts are over 50 and they probably want to go with someone in their late 30s-early 40s.

It would be interesting if they just decided to not have any replacement and make it a news hour, and move Craig Ferguson to midnight-1AM.

Guest Len B'stard

Thank fuck. Unfunny, patronising, tired old fart. Love how he was tryna be cute with Oliver Reed and then when Olly got the hump he just started shitting himself :lol: Just a fuckin' old git whoose not particularly sharp, humorous or intelligent. Fuckin' sold out Bill Hicks too, don't like him, poor character.

Dick Cavett was really cool i thought.

Edited by sugaraylen

A lot of the suggested replacement hosts are over 50 and they probably want to go with someone in their late 30s-early 40s.

It would be interesting if they just decided to not have any replacement and make it a news hour, and move Craig Ferguson to midnight-1AM.

Craig Ferguson just needs to fuck right off.

Late night is getting to be a younger man's game now with Kimmel and Fallon doing so well.

I think they'll pick someone younger too to compete with more up-to-date stuff.

Letterman should spend more time with his family. He does have a kid so spend time with him/her before it's too late.

He made a career out of belittling people, and who is he at the end of the day? A sneering, scrawny little git. No tangible talent whatsoever.

I'll never forget the contemptible way he interviewed Oliver Reed (a man who by his very nature, dwarfed somebody like Letterman). Despicable.

Edited by NGOG

I don't think Colbert would want to though - by being on Comedy he has less of a filter than he'd have in a major network and he still has a HUGE following.

Kimmel is my personal favorite of the current late night hosts.

Colbert would be awful on one of the "normal" late night shows.

Agreed. I don't think he'd be that funny without his persona he has on the Colbert Report, and I either don't think it'd fly on a regular late show, or it would just be terrible and awkward.

I have to disagree with both of those points. First, Colbert would increase his audience by at least double by moving to network television. Colbert typically draws 1 to 1.2 million a show; Letterman draws around 2.8 - 3 million a show. Being on a network is a huge deal. And with a bigger audience comes a much bigger salary. Colbert is currently making $6 million a year. Compare that with Letterman, who is making $50 million a year. If you think that Colbert (or anyone) would pass on a job that increases their yearly income by almost ten fold you're nuts. Sure, I doubt CBS would pay Colbert $50 million right off the bat, but he'd likely triple his yearly income at the very least with prospect of moving into Letterman income territory in five to ten years.

I also disagree with the contention that Colbert wouldn't be funny without his conservative, Bill O' Reilly shtik. If you watch him regularly, you'll know he has the sharpest minds/wits of any late-night talk show hosts. He spend decades honing his skills in improve. I generally finds he gets bigger laughs the few times he breaks from character. Moreover, the few times he's been interviewed while not in character he's been pretty hilarious.

CBS would be lucky to get Colbert. Apparently his contract with Comedy Central ends in 2014. With Dave leaving early or mid 2015, it would give Colbert the right amount of time to work on his network show.

Edited by downzy