Dave Letterman to retire 2015/Final Episode Thread

JONEZY

Letterman was cool. Conan is great. Fallon should stick to impressions. Dude is simply annoying. Every artist who goes to his show is the best ever and he's a huge fan oh my gosh.

Yeah, this is my biggest problem with Fallon. While I enjoy his viral-worthy skits, his treatment of celebrities and musicians in particularly is very off-putting.

I've noticed that the people who hate Letterman are usually women.

It should be good for Comedy Central over the next year as far as ratings go. I think he'll be a good replacement for Dave.

I'm interested to see what Comedy replaces Colbert with. They'll certainly want to have a heavy hitter between The Daily Show and @Midnight.

It's too bad they let John Oliver go to HBO. Man, the timing just didn't work out for them on this. Had all of this happened last year, you could have had Oliver follow Stewart. Perhaps someone else from the Daily Show will be considered. I could see them going with Samantha Bee. There's been a lot of criticism lately that late night is too male dominated.

John Oliver is killing it on HBO.

It should be good for Comedy Central over the next year as far as ratings go. I think he'll be a good replacement for Dave.

I'm interested to see what Comedy replaces Colbert with. They'll certainly want to have a heavy hitter between The Daily Show and @Midnight.

It's too bad they let John Oliver go to HBO. Man, the timing just didn't work out for them on this. Had all of this happened last year, you could have had Oliver follow Stewart. Perhaps someone else from the Daily Show will be considered. I could see them going with Samantha Bee. There's been a lot of criticism lately that late night is too male dominated.

Right? John Oliver is on top of the world right now. He has critical acclaim that Jon Stewart has never had. Every episode is fantastic and we'll crafted. Its almost like he's legitimately trying to be a journalist and doing a damn fine job. Keep Oliver where he's at. Edited by Dan H.

Right? John Oliver is on top of the world right now. He has critical acclaim that Jon Stewart has never had. Every episode is fantastic and we'll crafted. Its almost like he's legitimately trying to be a journalist and doing a damn fine job. Keep Oliver where he's at.

I'd have a hard time agreeing to the argument that Oliver is now a bigger hit with the critics than Stewart. Remember, Stewart is the godfather of satirical news who popularized the format.

Stewart and his staff have won two Peabody's (probably one of the most prestigious awards relating to radio and television) and ten consecutive Emmys between 2003 and 2012. He's also been named by Time magazine as one of the most influential people on the planet.

Oliver is great at what he does, but he has the luxury of only doing one show per week. Also, being on HBO allows him to escape the limitations imposed on the Daily Show, where segments are generally four to seven minutes long due to advertisement requirements.

While I love Oliver for what he does on HBO, Stewart still is the king of satirical news.

I agree, Stewart is the king, but John Oliver is the best thing to happen on HBO since The Sopranos. He kicks Bill Maher's ass, Maher is a great comedian but sometimes he can be unbearable. Oliver talks about the stuff nobody talks about or overlooks. His topics may not be "sexy" but they are important.

I agree, Stewart is the king, but John Oliver is the best thing to happen on HBO since The Sopranos. He kicks Bill Maher's ass, Maher is a great comedian but sometimes he can be unbearable. Oliver talks about the stuff nobody talks about or overlooks. His topics may not be "sexy" but they are important.

I agree. I was hesitant about Oliver moving to HBO as I wasn't sure there was enough space for another satirical news show. But Oliver has been magnificent and taken advantage of the platform he's been given. By infusing comedy into issues that receive little to no attention by other well-known publications, he's provided a real service to national and global awareness. Stewart, due to being on Comedy Central, still has to format his show to include advertising. It would be great to see what Stewart and his team could do were they to find themselves on HBO or another non-advertising based network.

Fallon should stick to impressions. Dude is simply annoying. Every artist who goes to his show is the best ever and he's a huge fan oh my gosh.

EXACTLY what I always say.

I despise his gushing, where every guest and whatever they are pushing is "oh my god the best ever".

He fucking sucks as an interviewer too, he can't string a sentence together and he is always giggling at himself.

He is very good at skits and impressions though- he just SUCKS at everything else.

• Like 2

Fallon should stick to impressions. Dude is simply annoying. Every artist who goes to his show is the best ever and he's a huge fan oh my gosh.

Definitely. Plus, he can't stop fake laughing at everything his guests do or say. It's just too obvious.

John Oliver has complete freedom on HBO, so if he did go to network TV, he'd make more money but lose the freedom. It's a win in his favor either way.

Bill Maher said he doesn't get paid much (relatively) but he has complete freedom, he produces Vice which is getting its own network, and he's always doing live dates.

Fallon is good with musical guests...that's it.

After Stern and Waits were on, the show was over as far as I was concerned.

Conan cracks me up at times.

Take his interviews with Hunter S. Thompson, the first one involved going to a shooting range to drink whiskey and fire machine guns.

The second involved discussing why Hunter was making bombs in his basement and fake Nike sneakers, which Hunter managed to somehow make it look like it was Conan's idea.

Letterman interviewed Thompson a few times too but he just stuck to the script and its not half as funny as a result.

Here are my opinions because they're mine and everyone should know my opinions because they're important.

I didn't like Oliver covering Jon Stewart so I haven't bothered to watch his show.

I like Jimmy Fallon.

Conan is a pompous twat.

Colbert is awesome but I'm guessing the Colbert Report is something he should have stayed with.

I feel like Fallon just does what any of us would do if we were given the Tonight Show. "Well first things first, I'm gonna reunite the cast of Saved by the Bell, then I should probably find any reason to drink, I'll play beer pong with people."

I feel like Fallon just does what any of us would do if we were given the Tonight Show. "Well first things first, I'm gonna reunite the cast of Saved by the Bell, then I should probably find any reason to drink, I'll play beer pong with people."

My thing with Fallon is that he's just there to have a good time and make people smile, which is what he's doing. He said something to that effect during his very first Tonight Show intro; he just wants to give people something to smile about. That's fine by me.

Isnt that what they all sort of do? I mean they dont get paid to fuck viewers off, do they?

Yeah that's kind of the gig.

I agree, but Fallon seems to be getting bashed in the thread for setting out to fill the job description. I only mentioned his show intro because it seemed to me that he was making clear how things were gonna go. It's not like he set out to reinvent the wheel.