Dave Letterman to retire 2015/Final Episode Thread

JONEZY

I'm surprised Stewart isn't the one moving to a big network.

I could be wrong, but I think he still has a few years left on his contract. And he already makes $16 million a year. A move to CBS would likely see a pay bump, but CBS is probably paying Colbert less than what they would have had to shell out to get Stewart.

Plus, I think Stewart is much more at home being the anchor for Comedy Central. Colbert was great, but he wasn't on top at Comedy Central. And he has a lot more autonomy and freedom to tackle the issues that seem to speak to Stewart. Colbert appeared to be much more about entertainment, save for his foray into Super PACs, which was nothing short of a public service announcement.

• Like 1

It should be good for Comedy Central over the next year as far as ratings go. I think he'll be a good replacement for Dave.

I'm interested to see what Comedy replaces Colbert with. They'll certainly want to have a heavy hitter between The Daily Show and @Midnight.

It's too bad they let John Oliver go to HBO. Man, the timing just didn't work out for them on this. Had all of this happened last year, you could have had Oliver follow Stewart. Perhaps someone else from the Daily Show will be considered. I could see them going with Samantha Bee. There's been a lot of criticism lately that late night is too male dominated.

oliver killed it on the daily show when stewart was gone, it would have been awesome having him replace colbert.

I saw John Oliver do a standup set in February, it was literally one of the funniest standup acts I've ever seen. I really miss him :(

• Like 1

I went and saw Letterman live in NYC back when I was in college....very cool experience....and yes, he's much funnier live than on TV....just something about the "aura" of seeing him crack jokes with live guests makes it that much more entertaining in person.

As far as Cobert goes....haven't seen that much of him but what I have seen is definitely intellectual comedy gold. I wonder if his conservative "smarter comedy" persona will follow him to the Late Show....or will he "tone it down" in order to appeal to a larger audience?

Edited by Kasanova King

I went and saw Letterman live in NYC back when I was in college....very cool experience....and yes, he's much funnier live than on TV....just something about the "aura" of seeing him crack jokes with live guests makes it that much more entertaining in person.

As far as Cobert goes....haven't seen that much of him but what I have seen is definitely intelectual comedy gold. I wonder if his conservative "smarter comedy" persona will follow him to the Late Show....or will he "tone it down" in order to appeal to a larger audience?

It's being reported that he won't be taking his persona with him.

Regardless of whether he tones it down or not, I do think Colbert will initially struggle reaching the more rural, conservative market. Dave had driven most of middle America to Leno and having Colbert sign on isn't something that will bring them back. If Colbert is looking to attract that audience, expect a lot of Obama jokes the first month out (sort of what Fallon has been doing). At the same time, if signing up Colbert is meant to secure a younger demographic (which is generally more liberal), then the move perhaps will pay off down the road. If Colbert is a long term investment, it could yield dividends in a decade or two when the more conservative part of America is too old to stay up past 10pm.

Que the conservative outrage:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/04/limbaugh-cbs-has-declared-war-on-the-heartland-of-186665.html?hp=l3

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is not happy with the news that Stephen Colbert is taking over for David Letterman as host of the "Late Show" on CBS.

Speaking shortly after the news broke Thursday, Limbaugh said the network has "declared war" and is launching an assault on "traditional America," according to audio from the liberal watchdog group Media Matters.

"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America. No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American, conservative values," Limbaugh said on his show. "Now it's just right out in the open. This hire is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy. They're blowing up the 11:30 format under the guise that the world's changing and people don't want the kind of comedy that Carson gave us — or even Letterman, they don't want it anymore. It's media planting a flag here, it's I think maybe, media's last stand, but it's a declaration."

Que the conservative outrage:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/04/limbaugh-cbs-has-declared-war-on-the-heartland-of-186665.html?hp=l3

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is not happy with the news that Stephen Colbert is taking over for David Letterman as host of the "Late Show" on CBS.

Speaking shortly after the news broke Thursday, Limbaugh said the network has "declared war" and is launching an assault on "traditional America," according to audio from the liberal watchdog group Media Matters.

"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America. No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American, conservative values," Limbaugh said on his show. "Now it's just right out in the open. This hire is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy. They're blowing up the 11:30 format under the guise that the world's changing and people don't want the kind of comedy that Carson gave us — or even Letterman, they don't want it anymore. It's media planting a flag here, it's I think maybe, media's last stand, but it's a declaration."

Meh....I'm as "moderate"...non partisan as it gets and I haven't taken anything Rush Limbaugh has said seriously in over a decade. The only people that listen to that guy are maybe the 5% - 10% that leans the furthest right....Tea Party fanatics, etc.....he ranks right up there with Alex Jones in terms of credibility. :lol:

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

So what did everyone think of Dave's final episode?

Personally, I thought it was great and a terrific way to go out. Loved the montages and throwbacks, and the top ten list with Dave's buddies was well done.

All in all, a fitting finale and send off for one of the best at the business.

I thought it was great, and it made me feel a little sad that he's done now. Haven't watched the show regularly in a few years, but I started watching him in the early 1980's regularly. Sad to see him go. But he had a great run.

I'm sad to see him/them go, I never saw the NBC show but have been a pretty religious viewer of the CBS one.

I love Biff, Alan, Pat, Kenny and the band and I'll miss em.

I liked how Dave said "let's be honest, a lot of those shows sucked" or something like that :lol:

Theres only one Oliver Reed, my absolute hero :)

"It's fun to pretend isn't it?"

Ive heard that rumour too (its a line from Letterman, i know), if thats what you were referring to, that Olly played up to this shit, which i suppose he did with everything, he purposely got pissed and out of control but i dont think he ever faked being pissed, i think a lot of people want to believe that because of the undignified way in which he behave towards the end a bit.

Excellent show. Classy as class could be. They really soaked every last bit of that show last night and done all out of love.

My one criticism was that Letterman didn't really get as emotional as I wanted. I didn't want to see him cry, but I wanted the one moment where he gets a little choked up and actually just sits there and lets it sink in what these 33-35 years on television truly meant to him and his audience. He really fought against that, and I guess its good not to see him break down, but I thought it separated his goodbye from others on television. Whether it was the lack of emotion, or just what he said, there was something about it that I felt didn't quite rise to the occasion and make it as momentous as it should have been and I assume as he wanted it to be.

But thats just me. Too many positives to list. Excellent opening, great top 10, really sweet montages throughout. Very big and again classy for the Foos to go pretty much completely unnoticed and just serve the scene, which I really thought elevated their performance. I also thought it was interesting, and probably good, how he snuck the goodbye in right before the end. I don't think anyone really expected it that early, and when he started I wasn't sure if he was gonna do the whole thing then or save something for after the Foos. I think that approach worked in the way that everything didn't lead to his final words.

• Like 1

Theres only one Oliver Reed, my absolute hero :)

"It's fun to pretend isn't it?"

Ive heard that rumour too (its a line from Letterman, i know), if thats what you were referring to, that Olly played up to this shit, which i suppose he did with everything, he purposely got pissed and out of control but i dont think he ever faked being pissed, i think a lot of people want to believe that because of the undignified way in which he behave towards the end a bit.

Ha, nah I don't think Mr Reed was putting it on at all.