April 9 - Asuncion, Paraguay

Powerage5

Except for the lack of rasp, which many find to be an acquired taste, his singing is good.

Who here actually believes Axls trademark rasp is an acquired taste? If you don't like his rasp I don't know how you could have got into guns off the old records, all of which have rasp, especially UYI and the live era release... Just in case you don't realize this, people love Axls gritty high voice, that's not just forum people, that's the majority... people have not become huge fans of Guns from listening to catcher where predominantly used a clean vocal, they became fans from YCBM, yesterdays, Out ta Get me and so on. Some people will prefer his clean but anyone who became a fan before then expects the gritty and the clean all mixed together. Many singers have to do both at that age and they manage it, obviously there's a dip where age has a factor in your voice lowering and no longer being able to hit the highest notes but Axl still hits the highs.

Stop defending laziness.

• Like 1

Except for the lack of rasp, which many find to be an acquired taste, his singing is good.

Who here actually believes Axls trademark rasp is an acquired taste? If you don't like his rasp I don't know how you could have got into guns off the old records, all of which have rasp, especially UYI and the live era release... Just in case you don't realize this, people love Axls gritty high voice, that's not just forum people, that's the majority... people have not become huge fans of Guns from listening to catcher where predominantly used a clean vocal, they became fans from YCBM, yesterdays, Out ta Get me and so on. Some people will prefer his clean but anyone who became a fan before then expects the gritty and the clean all mixed together. Many singers have to do both at that age and they manage it, obviously there's a dip where age has a factor in your voice lowering and no longer being able to hit the highest notes but Axl still hits the highs.

Stop defending laziness.

Spot on. Well said.

I can't take anyone super seriously that tells me that they never liked his rasp vocals. Really? then how the fuck did you ever become a fan? You willingly became a fan of a singer you didn't like in the hopes that 20 years down the line he'd sing differently?

Is that credible?

• Like 1

Stop defending laziness.

And there are people that say in AFD Axl uses no rasp! Or a mix of clean/rasp, which is acceptable but still wrong. It's clear when Axl is using his raspy voice and his clean voice. They are very very different.

Who here actually believes Axls trademark rasp is an acquired taste? If you don't like his rasp I don't know how you could have got into guns off the old records, all of which have rasp, especially UYI and the live era release..

E.g, you start by enjoying some ballads like NR or Patience because of other things than rasp and then you gradually go from being annoyed by the rasp to accepting it to enjoying it. Or perhaps you have been exposed to WTTJ so many times that you have to like a singing style you first found detectable. :shrugs:

For many it is simply an acquired taste. And many can never grow to like it. Some, few, I suppose, like it immediately. And I am talking about people in general, not just fans.

Edited by SoulMonster

Who here actually believes Axls trademark rasp is an acquired taste? If you don't like his rasp I don't know how you could have got into guns off the old records, all of which have rasp, especially UYI and the live era release..

E.g, you start by enjoying some ballads like NR or Patience because of other things than rasp and then you gradually go from being annoyed by the rasp to accepting it to enjoying it. Or perhaps you have been exposed to WTTJ so many times that you have to like a singing style you first found detectable. :shrugs:

For many it is simply an acquired taste. And many can never grow to like it. Some, few, I suppose, like it immediately. And I am talking about people in general, not just fans.

I think you are right. Many people believe that Axl can't sing, that he never could sing. For as long as I can remember, there have been people that didn't like his voice at all. So for people in general, I believe it is an acquired taste. And more importantly, it is very subjective. I do agree that I believe most fans, if not all, like the rasp, and that if you didn't like the rasp, you wouldn't have become a fan.

I like the rasp, but I also like his low voice a lot. Maybe if we ever get new music, the songs will be more adapted to his voice now.

For those of you who are claiming that Axl is sounding wonderful these days I challenge you to take this test.... Listen to some of these same live performances in front of whoever you think might be somewhat familiar with GN'R from the past and see the looks on their faces after you tell them it's Axl Rose. Some of you are just trying to hard to hang on.

It's sort of like when you think you've got your house all neat, clean, & looking good but the minute an outsider comes in you realize just how bad it still is. Same concept.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm still keeping up with it cause I just can't stop no matter how hard I've tried. Axl is intriguing to me and I'm like a Meth junkie when it comes to this circus, but his singing sucks monkey balls.

I actually tried this with a couple friends. A few of them only knowing WTTJ were baffled at how different his voice was.

One of my friends was intrigued enough to start looking up videos to see exactly when the voice change happened. It didn't take long for him to find the Axl Rose Disasters...

Same here. I would say my brothers and my girlfriend are casual fans of real Guns. Sometimes I catch them singing or humming the songs. Of course, they don't even know Guns does not exist anymore or that Axl got fat and can't sing. For a casual, most of the things related to Guns stopped somewhere in the 90s. They don't have the details.

Anyways, when I was watching Bridge School 2012, one of my brothers came to my room and thought I was watching an impersonator mocking Axl. When I said to him "no, that's Axl Rose himself and his new band". He was shocked, then he laughed, then he laughed some more, shook his head and left.

I tried the same with my girlfriend, you know, a girl not only focus on the performance but on how hot the singer looks or whatever, she didn't laugh but she cringed a lot and she said she felt sorry for Axl.

It's sad to see how other people who don't follow Axl react to the joke he is now. Me being the one who introduced Guns to them, made them listen to the songs, oh well. I can't say I enjoyed their reactions but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Bridge School is no standard though. It's the worst he has ever sounded in his life. It is perhaps the most cringeworthy performance by a singer in the history of manking. If he performed at that level in every show, there would be no band at this point. He would be homeless, probably. It even resulted in that hilarious video of Mickey singing Jungle.

Irony is Axl fans using the media as a defense.

Having a hard time accepting other peoples opinions?

Having a hard time reading how a conversation progresses? Fuck off.

It's ok that some people think his voice is good, I promise. I think that the youtube voice is bad too nowadays, but fans at the show and the media says it's good so...

It's ok that some people think his voice is good, I promise. I think that the youtube voice is bad too nowadays, but fans at the show and the media says it's good so...

My man, if you're going to carry on a conversation with me about what I said, can you at least read my posts? I've addressed exactly what you're saying here, item by item, in this very thread.

My man, if you're going to carry on a conversation with me about what I said, can you at least read my posts? I've addressed exactly what you're saying here, item by item, in this very thread.

No need for that I feel. I just think it's unnecessary to always reply ironically just cause you don't agree with someone. Just becomes a pie throwing contest instead of a discussion.

Bridge School is no standard though. It's the worst he has ever sounded in his life. It is perhaps the most cringeworthy performance by a singer in the history of manking. If he performed at that level in every show, there would be no band at this point. He would be homeless, probably. It even resulted in that hilarious video of Mickey singing Jungle.

Bridge School is one of the worst performances, I agree. That said, I have showed other videos from 2011-2013 to my relatives and they thought the same, it's shit.

You gotta be veeery selective when you want to find a video where Axl sounds decent. That's sad.

Why is bridge school even being discussed? He had strep throat... And you'd be nuts to say that's just an excuse.

It's not being discussed really. But... it's hard to believe that strep throat makes you forget the lyrics and mix-up the songs in what it was - vocally - an horrendous performance. :shrugs:

Why is bridge school even being discussed? He had strep throat... And you'd be nuts to say that's just an excuse.

That being the case, he should not have performed. I know it's for charity and all that, but you don't go out and give that performance. You just don't.

There were other options too. He could have gone there, explained the situation to organizers and sang I don't know, Patience, Don't Cry, or some songs using only his low voice.

He sang Welcome to the Jungle. An unplugged version, while we are at it. That was not excusable by any angle you look at it.

That being the case, he should not have performed. I know it's for charity and all that, but you don't go out and give that performance. You just don't.

There were other options too. He could have gone there, explained the situation to organizers and sang I don't know, Patience, Don't Cry, or some songs using only his low voice.

He sang Welcome to the Jungle. An unplugged version, while we are at it. That was not excusable by any angle you look at it.

If he hadn't performed, everyone would have said: He's too lazy to get up from the couch.

Are you saying the kids in the audience - to whom he actually played and to whom the benefit was for - didn't have a good time??

Edited by SoulMonster

They probably did. I'm not saying he should not show up.

Strep throat is not a sudden thing. You don't go to bed one day and wake up utterly unable to do what you do for a living for the past 30 years on the other. He probably knew in advance he would struggle, or at least should have known.

What I mean is he could have not performed, but made someone took his place. He could have performed, but made sure he mitigated the risk of a disaster. He instead went all in and gave what might be the worst performance in the history of music. That could have been avoided, it's absurd to try and make him look like a saint as if it was not his fault and he was a martyr for performing that day.

They probably did. I'm not saying he should not show up.

Strep throat is not a sudden thing. You don't go to bed one day and wake up utterly unable to do what you do for a living for the past 30 years on the other. He probably knew in advance he would struggle, or at least should have known.

What I mean is he could have not performed, but made someone took his place. He could have performed, but made sure he mitigated the risk of a disaster. He instead went all in and gave what might be the worst performance in the history of music. That could have been avoided, it's absurd to try and make him look like a saint as if it was not his fault and he was a martyr for performing that day.

Not sure I agree. What if he thought: "Ok, I'm gonna do a bit shit and the "internet people" will jump at me, but I don't give a shit cause I'm doing it for the kids."

• Like 1

Of course it is his fault for having a strep throat! He probably licked all the bathroom doors travelling there! And of course he could have "someone" fill in for GN'R on a few days notice! And not performing at all would have been much better than GN'R performing great songs with the singer having a bad day! I bet all the kids are REALLY angry with him!