April 9 - Asuncion, Paraguay

Powerage5

It's funny because, when the Axl nutters find a negative review they immediately say is not true or that the media hates him or they are just jealous of Axl's success but, when the media praises him, they suddenly become relevant, important, reliable and no one can question them. :lol:

It's like Axl fans don't even try anymore. Their double-standards are stupid and embarrassing but they don't even try to hide it anymore.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Civil war

Axl looks a little skinny around the face here..maybe a good angle. I have nothing nice to say about the vocals...just a little too clean for me.

Attitude

Axl making Replacement jokes also.

Axl better watch it, or that one guy on this forum will give him shit for stealing his joke.

it's gotta be impossible for axl NOT to notice the huge reaction duff's name gets during that intro.

like i said in another thread, i love tommy and would have loved to see him get his dues with the band in terms of new material etc., but there's something really satisfying about seeing duff playing those old songs again.

Except for the lack of rasp, which many find to be an acquired taste, his singing is good.

I agree. The raspy tone has always been an acquired taste, in general.

Ali

i pretty much agree. it sounds to me - and i've always thought this - that he had vocal coaching in order to preserve his voice. that's why he sang with the full-on mickey in 2002. people complained, so i think he tried to bring the rasp back a bit in '06, with more of a balance. and then in 2010 maybe he got a little too cocky with it and it damaged his voice again.

it sounds like he's singing with more technique, abandoning the rasp, all in an effort to not ruin his voice any further. but on certain songs it just doesn't sound good (to me) because i'm so used to the rasp, and i've always liked axl's voice and its changes over the years, but i have to admit i just prefer that deep rasp he had in his prime. but it's a moot point to complain about it nowadays.

I understand. I really do understand that people have a preference because of what tone they first fell in love with. I'm different in that the voice that I first heard was on Appetite, and that to me is minimally raspy. The raspiness I heard in the early 90's sounded more pronounced than the late 80's bootlegs I have, and got to the point of being somewhat abrasive, even to me. This is based off of the Tokyo '92, and Paris '92 live shows, as well as the one I saw in '92. More casual GN'R fans I knew did not seem all that enamored with raspy vocal tone in the early 90's, despite liking the songs themselves. That's why I agree with the notion of that tone being an acquired taste.

Ali

It's funny because, when the Axl nutters find a negative review they immediately say is not true or that the media hates him or they are just jealous of Axl's success but, when the media praises him, they suddenly become relevant, important, reliable and no one can question them. :lol:

It's like Axl fans don't even try anymore. Their double-standards are stupid and embarrassing but they don't even try to hide it anymore.

What is funny is someone that wastes time creating a category and naming it "Axl Fans" or "Axl nutters" in order to deal with people who disagree with him.

I'm not an "Axl Fan". My life does not revolve around Guns n Roses. I do like their music though, and like most who do, I'm very frustrated by the changes in his voice.

I'm just not self centered and childish to the point where I feel entitled to determine he is a shit singer by decree, while he is touring, packing venues and receiving shitloads of compliments. Guess what, that are thousands of people who like it.

I'm also not childish enough to be frustrated that my opinion is not revered as the right one. And certainly, not enough to vent that in an internet forum, by using terms like fanboy, nutter etc. against anybody who disagrees with me.

• Like 2

it sounds like he's singing with more technique, abandoning the rasp, all in an effort to not ruin his voice any further. but on certain songs it just doesn't sound good (to me) because i'm so used to the rasp, and i've always liked axl's voice and its changes over the years, but i have to admit i just prefer that deep rasp he had in his prime. but it's a moot point to complain about it nowadays.

I kinda agree with this. The rasp works by masquerading the overly thin voice he has in the upper register, which I don't like that much. By adding rasp it becomes fuller and, of course, more aggressive. But I know plenty of people back in the days who never could get into GN'R because of his signature raspy voice. Perhaps they will enjoy the band more now?

I understand what you're saying. But, in general, I don't think someone's head voice will ever sound as full and rich as their chest voice.

Ali

That's how it works on this forum.

Same thing with YouTube videos.

Some Guns songs can never work without Axl's signature raspy howl. You Could Be Mine falls apart without it live.

Is Axl choosing to hold back with the rasp to preserve his voice, or is he not capable of using it for a long period of time? Hmmm.

The media loved Axl in 90's so they often attacked his antics because they prayed for a reaction. Axl was in his prime then.

Now the media doesn't care about Axl or Guns. They review a concert every now and then and put it on page 8. They have no reason to get a reaction out of Axl because very few would care. They give him the old pat on the back retirement treatment now.

What is funny is someone that wastes time creating a category and naming it "Axl Fans" or "Axl nutters" in order to deal with people who disagree with him.

I'm not an "Axl Fan". My life does not revolve around Guns n Roses. I do like their music though, and like most who do, I'm very frustrated by the changes in his voice.

I'm just not self centered and childish to the point where I feel entitled to determine he is a shit singer by decree, while he is touring, packing venues and receiving shitloads of compliments. Guess what, that are thousands of people who like it.

I'm also not childish enough to be frustrated that my opinion is not revered as the right one. And certainly, not enough to vent that in an internet forum, by using terms like fanboy, nutter etc. against anybody who disagrees with me.

It's not my problem that you felt offended.

Nobody feels entitled to anything, is "entitled" a word you just learned? 'Cause you seem to use it a lot without knowing the real meaning. There are people enjoying the shows, of course, people buy tickets to see it. They're entitled (and here, learn the right use of the world please) to their opinions as they were there, if they liked it, they liked it. Who is questioning the fans that enjoyed or loved the show? No one.

That said, are you giving your opinion? Let me see... eh, nope! You used "the media reviews praising Axl's voice" as a wall of truth. Didn't you say that was your point? :rolleyes:

If you share or don't share my opinion, I couldn't care less. People are entitled (then again, see how to use the word) to think whatever they want. You don't see me telling them they're wrong, I never told you you're wrong because you think he sounds fine. But you, being the childish and frustrated Axl "supporter" (is that good for you or do you still feel offended?) that you are, tried to determine what everybody should believe or think based on the kind of reviews Axl or his band are getting.

All I did was - and this is something you completely missed because you were more focused in insulting me - to show how people have double-standards and how they change from a perspective to another when it suits Axl in a positive way.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

Awesome song! Thanks for posting it.

I really think that's such a cool song.

Looks like Duff is working hard. I bet he hasn't worked that hard onstage in years.

Cool to see him up there with Axl.

Edited by Val22

I actually found a video that includes rasp! Enjoy :)

See, it's not quite 2010 but I could definitely live with that. I'm not embarrassed by it, Sweet Child sounds pretty solid as well actually... It's when things get to Bridge School level that it gets worrying!

• Like 2

Awesome song! Thanks for posting it.

Looks like Duff is working hard. I bet he hasn't worked that hard onstage in years.

Are you implying that Duff doesn't work that hard when he tours with Loaded? A band that he plays bass for AND also sings.

That seems a bit rude.

Nobody told Brian Johnson from ACDC that you can't have "rasp" when you get "old"

Brian Johnson's rasp sucks. It is unrefined compared to Axl. Anyone can sound like Brian Johnson. Go listen to some Bon Scott, his rasp was more refined and melodic.

This. AC/DC is much, much easier to sing than GNR. It is less melodic, it involves holding less notes, less tonal shifts. It's one thing to sing Hells Bells with drive on your voice, and a whole other to sing You could be mine.

Also, few singers have deteriorated as much as Brian Johnson over the years. Today, all he can do is screech in that high pitched raspy voice (I do find it awesome). He, however, used to be a marvelous singer.

PS: regardless of the discussion, this version ^ of House of the Rising Sun is just awesome.

Thanks for posting that video. It's good to hear Jonno singing clean - which he can actually do quite well. But, while his voice has recovered plenty over the last few years after deteriorating tremendously over the two decades prior, he's never hit the broken glass gargling sounds of his '80-'83 peak, when his voice was more powerful than any other. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Axl does WLR now better than Jonno.

I have a lot of respect for Jonno, but nothing or no one comes close to the late, great Bon Scott.

I'm an Axl fan too, boss. I meant it like I'd say "human beings." I'm part of the group, but when an Axl fan's defense of Axl is the media, that's kinda ironic. See what I'm saying?

I do see what you mean now. I was actually extremely rude in my last post, sorry. The same is valid for Nosaj Thing, I apologize.

I haven't been here long, but from what I gather so far both of you are among the most displeased with Axl's current vocal performances. That's your opinion, and you are ENTITLED to it.

What I mean to say, now in a proper polite way: some of yours post tend to dismiss opinions that consider his vocals "not shit" as mostly delusional and formulated by blind fans in denial trying to cling to something that is no longer there. There are people out there, inside and outside this forum that actually like Axl's current vocals, and they do not necessarily have double standards, or are delusional etc.

When I mentioned the media, I was merely exemplifying that there are people who enjoy this. I'm a journalist BTW, so I'm a member of the media. There isn't a single post made by me about the media persecuting Axl in this forum, so, when replying to me, the point about the irony or the double standards was unnecessary. That is all.

Nobody told Brian Johnson from ACDC that you can't have "rasp" when you get "old"

Brian Johnson's rasp sucks. It is unrefined compared to Axl. Anyone can sound like Brian Johnson. Go listen to some Bon Scott, his rasp was more refined and melodic.

This. AC/DC is much, much easier to sing than GNR. It is less melodic, it involves holding less notes, less tonal shifts. It's one thing to sing Hells Bells with drive on your voice, and a whole other to sing You could be mine.

Also, few singers have deteriorated as much as Brian Johnson over the years. Today, all he can do is screech in that high pitched raspy voice (I do find it awesome). He, however, used to be a marvelous singer.

PS: regardless of the discussion, this version ^ of House of the Rising Sun is just awesome.

Thanks for posting that video. It's good to hear Jonno singing clean - which he can actually do quite well. But, while his voice has recovered plenty over the last few years after deteriorating tremendously over the two decades prior, he's never hit the broken glass gargling sounds of his '80-'83 peak, when his voice was more powerful than any other. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Axl does WLR now better than Jonno.

I have a lot of respect for Jonno, but nothing or no one comes close to the late, great Bon Scott.

Definitely agree that Axl does Rosie better nowadays. And I know Brian only sang Riff Raff once (Almost 20 years ago at that...), but I think Axl does Riff Raff better too.