Slash calls 'Sweet Child o' Mine' the "gayest thing you can write"

That's what great about Axl - his diversity. He can write songs like Back of Bitch but also SCOM and NR. He doesn't care about idiots calling him gay for sharing his feelings.

This I Love lyrics are the worst and cheesiest crybaby lyrics I have heard in my entire life, though.

And you're completely misunderstanding the use of 'gay' in this context.

I can top TIL.

It's been a long year

Since you've been gone

I've been alone here

I've grown old

I fall to pieces, I'm falling

Fell to pieces and I'm still falling

Every time I'm falling down

All alone I fall to pieces

I keep a journal of memories

I'm feeling lonely, I can't breathe

All the years I've tried

With more to go

Will the memories die

I'm waiting

Will I find you

Can I find you

We're falling down

I'm falling

Every time I’m falling down

You didn't top it but those are horrendous lyrics too.

Slash didn't write them so what are we talkin' about again?

I did indeed top it because we're talking about the cheesiest crybaby lyrics ever. You picked the topic yourself, you should know. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs:

That's what great about Axl - his diversity. He can write songs like Back of Bitch but also SCOM and NR. He doesn't care about idiots calling him gay for sharing his feelings.

This I Love lyrics are the worst and cheesiest crybaby lyrics I have heard in my entire life, though.

Well, everyone's taste is different, but I think that these things are what makes Axl unique,

"And you're completely misunderstanding the use of 'gay' in this context."

How so?

Do you think Slash said the SCOM is the gayest thing you can write because he wanted to call Axl an homosexual? It's simple. Gay, in this context, is used to determine something absurd and ridiculous.

Have you ever used the word gay to classify a bad movie? I have. Prom Night is such a gay movie, and there are no homosexual acts in the movie. :shrugs: (Yes DS, I owe you 0.02 cents).

• Like 1

I can top TIL.

It's been a long year

Since you've been gone

I've been alone here

I've grown old

All the years I've tried

With more to go

Will the memories die

I'm waiting

Will I find you

Can I find you

We're falling down

I'm falling

I did indeed top it because we're talking about the cheesiest crybaby lyrics ever. You picked the topic yourself, you should know. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs:

And because I picked the topic, I can tell you, you didn't top it. :shrugs:

Just listened to the audio and it falls in line with the past tense connotation of the article. We all know Slash has said that he wasn't a fan of the tune back then, and I don't see how him describing how in 1986 he thought an uptempo ballad was a "gay" thing to write (keywords being "at the time") is a big deal, the whole thing is past tense and the past in question is over 25 years ago.

Notice how the Slash fanboys are giving him a free pass for using the word "gay" in a pejorative sense. But when Axl used "lesbian" as a pejorative, it's apparently not okay anymore. Maybe some folks weren't quite as offended by Axl's statement as they dramatically pretend to be.

Edited by saber_
  • Like 3

I can top TIL.

It's been a long year

Since you've been gone

I've been alone here

I've grown old

All the years I've tried

With more to go

Will the memories die

I'm waiting

Will I find you

Can I find you

We're falling down

I'm falling

That's it! I'm revoking your license to identify cheesy crybaby lyrics until you realise that TIL is a distant second to FTP.

I can top TIL.

It's been a long year

Since you've been gone

I've been alone here

I've grown old

All the years I've tried

With more to go

Will the memories die

I'm waiting

Will I find you

Can I find you

We're falling down

I'm falling

That's it! I'm revoking your license to identify cheesy crybaby lyrics until you realise that TIL is a distant second to FTP.

You can't revoke it because you lost all credibility the minute you said TIL is a distant second to FTP. Both of them are shit but TIL takes the prize. :shrugs:

Can you name names when you do that please, saber?

Why? You never do. Please tell me you're not gonna try to deny that people on this board have criticized Axl severely and acted offended for that lesbian dig at Madison.

If I never do, I apologize. Please point it out in the future.

I'm not denying anything. I just don't know which posters you're talking about when you call people out like this, so I don't know how to evaluate your statement. Fair?

:lol:

Why? You never do. Please tell me you're not gonna try to deny that people on this board have criticized Axl severely and acted offended for that lesbian dig at Madison.

Which people? I am sure you consider me a "Slash fan boy" and I never criticized Axl for this? so which antichrist worshippers are you referring to?............ :shrugs: ..............amazes me the shit people will nitpick over.............. :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

Well, everyone's taste is different, but I think that these things are what makes Axl unique,

How so?

Do you think Slash said the SCOM is the gayest thing you can write because he wanted to call Axl an homosexual? It's simple. Gay, in this context, is used to determine something absurd and ridiculous.

Have you ever used the word gay to classify a bad movie? I have. Prom Night is such a gay movie, and there are no homosexual acts in the movie. :shrugs: (Yes DS, I owe you 0.02 cents).

Of course I know that, that's not my point. What I meant was that Axl doesn't care about people who try to pigeon-hole him. If he feels like it then he writes about it. I like that he's "real". He doesn't try to live up to some rock n roll stereotype by being cool all the time in that macho sense.

How so?

Of course I know that, that's not my point. What I meant was that Axl doesn't care about people who try to pigeon-hole him. If he feels like it then he writes about it. I like that he's "real". He doesn't try to live up to some rock n roll stereotype by being cool all the time in that macho sense.

I understand, but you said that he doesn't care about idiots calling him gay for sharing his feelings at first. It's slightly different, since no one is calling him gay for that.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

If I never do, I apologize. Please point it out in the future.

I'm not denying anything. I just don't know which posters you're talking about when you call people out like this, so I don't know how to evaluate your statement. Fair?

How about this then? Thus far in the thread, no one has docked Slash points for using the term "gayest" as a derisive, negative comment directed at SCOM. Whereas with Axl, his pejorative use of the word "lesbian" has fallen under repeated criticism on this board. I'll just leave it at that.

"Sweet Child O' Mine is the gayest thing you can write."

0:16, 0:45, 2:30

That one's more flamboyant, but this one might be neck n neck. This one, by the way, he did back during the end of the old GnR. I wonder if this was the type of music he was pitching to Axl at the time:

Solo is at 2:50. Some tasteful posing. lulz

Edited by saber_
  • Like 1

How so?

I understand, but you said that he doesn't care about idiots calling him gay for sharing his feelings at first. It's slightly different, since no one is calling him gay for that.

Isn't that the whole reason for calling the song gay (absurd etc etc), cause its lyrics are kinda soft? Anyway, I don't think Slash think so anymore.

Wow, the amount of hypersensitivity(dare I say, butthurt) over an off the cuff remark like this is hysterical. Look, SCOM would be my desert island song, but I totally get where he's coming from when you take in the full context. The lyrics to SCOM, taken by itself(while personal Axl to Erin), do very much border on cheesy, gay, soft, whatever you want to call it. And as he says, quite different from the rest of Appetite. So as the lyrics are being written and presented(and viewed by themselves even now), I can totally see where there were such reservations and with this being the 1 uptempo ballad. Fortunately, thanks in large part to Slash's riff and solos, the song came together as the home run it turned out to be. And kudos to Axl for pushing for it. But again, very easy to understand the concern that it could've gone the opposite way. SCOM was high risk/high reward on a hard rock debut and for a band with the image they were putting forward.

BTW, this is why Slash is a lead guitarist(ala, "shows you how much I know"). He says he doesn't hate the song, digs the riff and is just sharing his personal insights to a song he helped create. So what was the major offense? :violin:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I've always thought it was strange that Slash was "no ballads, no sound effects, no extra instruments", but both Snakepit albums (and the solo album, but less so for AL) have ballads, songs with keyboards and synths, and songs with sound effects and audio clips.