Slash calls 'Sweet Child o' Mine' the "gayest thing you can write"

this is interesting especially coming right after his comments where he sounded kind of sad/pissy about duff playing with gnr. i think this debunks the whole "slash is over gnr/axl" stuff some people throw out their.

So you'd throw out Nov Rain and Estranged even Locomotive bcos Axl slapped a bitch.

Slash was always drunk.

Are we talkin' about SCOM or other songs? Stay on topic. Slapped a bitch? I wouldn't call her a bitch even if she was since I don't know her.

Slash was always drunk. Shit! I didn't know!! ...and? How does that affect Axl or Erin or SCOM? :facepalm:

I think it effects what he says. He's just laid back in comments about SCOM.

You're the one saying Axl can't sing love songs because he beat up his girl. Maybe you're right. But then you have to look at a lot of songs.

Just saying. Axl says on This I Love what's the use of confession to a crime with passions that won't die in his heart. Having a bad temper doesn't mean you can't feel love either. I don't think anyone could live by these standards. If you can don't listen to SCOM.

I totally agreed with Slash when he said it. It was all about Easy, brownstone for me. Then UYI came out I was more into RNDTH, perfect Crime, DTJ, Garen of Eden. But I've come see that actually the success of the band was based on the ballads.

You're the one saying Axl can't sing love songs because he beat up his girl.

Where did you get that from? :lol: I never said he can't sing SCOM because he beat up Erin, the woman the song was about. You said Slash shouldn't have said what he said because SCOM means something to Axl and I simply pointed out that the 'meaning' disappeared the second he laid his hands on her.

He can sing, play or perform whatever he wants. He wrote the song.

You're the one saying Axl can't sing love songs because he beat up his girl.

Where did you get that from? :lol: I never said he can't sing SCOM because he beat up Erin, the woman the song was about. You said Slash shouldn't have said what he said because SCOM means something to Axl and I simply pointed out that the 'meaning' disappeared the second he laid his hands on her.

He can sing, play or perform whatever he wants. He wrote the song.

Exactly so you're saying it's ok for Slash to talk shit about the song.

I just think there's a lot of contradictions in the band and personality clashes. It's probably easier to just blow right past what they say. You can't read too much into what Slash says as he's half in the bag anyway.

Exactly so you're saying it's ok for Slash to talk shit about the song.

Again, where am I saying that? :facepalm:

maybe I just misunderstood what you said?

Axl has said that SCOM is song "about getting fucked in the ass with a coke bottle" so I mean maybe what Slash said isn't that bad.

I was merely saying Slash shouldn't really say that stuff about SCOM. That kind of thing continued on UYI. He has a right to his opinion as much as anyone I guess. Just because I work for Marlboro doesn't mean I endorse their product, even though I smoke all the free cartons I get.

Song isn't gay. Slash said it was a "up tempo ballad which is one of the gayest things you could right" and then he laughs.

Get your wording right before you people insult him.

Not only that but he is clearly stating those were his feeling at the time.... at the time being 1986.

The article is just one click away and the audio file is another click away. How people aren't getting the context of it is beyond me.

He did say it in the AFD era, it kind of made sense. It was like when Nirvana kept saying they hated play Teen Spirit. It was the biggest hit at the time but not representative of the band really. It's the contraction that bands with punk roots face once they get on MTV.

Seriously? :blink:

I read the first three pages of this and couldn't get through any more. Did any of the people bashing Slash actually listen to the sound bite?

He was talking about the song in past tense. As in what he originally thought of it... which is consistent with just about everything he's said over the years. He hated SCOM at the start, the riff was just a silly thing he used to warm up that Axl picked up on, and it was different to the other material they'd been writing and playing at the time. At the time, he thought "an up-tempo ballad was the gayest thing you could write".

Since then, he's obviously grown proud of the song and sees it in a different light. The very next thing he said in that interview was "it's a great song, I'm not knocking it. It was just that at the time it didn't fit in with the rest of our schtick".

Thank you for this!!

Every couple of pages I try and reiterate this, yet the people getting their pitchforks out over an out of context thing keep showing up. The audio clip is very easy to access, people should actually take a listen to it

I read the first three pages of this and couldn't get through any more. Did any of the people bashing Slash actually listen to the sound bite?

He was talking about the song in past tense. As in what he originally thought of it... which is consistent with just about everything he's said over the years. He hated SCOM at the start, the riff was just a silly thing he used to warm up that Axl picked up on, and it was different to the other material they'd been writing and playing at the time. At the time, he thought "an up-tempo ballad was the gayest thing you could write".

Since then, he's obviously grown proud of the song and sees it in a different light. The very next thing he said in that interview was "it's a great song, I'm not knocking it. It was just that at the time it didn't fit in with the rest of our schtick".

Honestly bacardi, way to provide absolutely no context to a comment to stir some shit.

But let's be honest the only reason he says he likes it now is because of the money Axl made him off of "gay" songs like SCOM. He doesn't deserve to play GNR songs. He doesn't appreciate them.

He didn't seem to rip on it. He just said it was not what they really wrote at the time and made a bit of a joke about it.

Totally fine, he seems to respect the song now. Seems to like it too as they have been playing it since 2010. Its not like specifically playing SCOM is guaranteeing massive amounts of concert goers as opposed to if it wasn't there

Honestly bacardi, way to provide absolutely no context to a comment to stir some shit.

But let's be honest the only reason he says he likes it now is because of the money Axl made him off of "gay" songs like SCOM. He doesn't deserve to play GNR songs. He doesn't appreciate them.

Wow, could you be trolling any harder? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because he's matured and learned to appreciate / embrace different styles of music? Maybe he's seen how many people loved that song and learned to look at it in a new light? Either of those reasons make a lot more sense than what you're trying to push.

Here's a clip where he acknowledges Axl initially seeing the potential in the song song. He says he "hated it until around '88 or '89 until it became so big that you couldn't ignore it".

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Slash-Speaks,-Part-II_-Sweet.aspx

• Like 1