Slash calls 'Sweet Child o' Mine' the "gayest thing you can write"

The fact that I can't find a definitive answer to the Axl/Slash feud gives me hope of a reunion. Axl has said never. I guess it's because Slash spread these lies that he stole the band name from them and wanted to go industrial etc. etc. But hasn't Duff said similar things? in his book its very similar to Slashs account to Axl holding hostage, right? Maybe Axl just saw the potential in Slash leaving, he actually likes the freedom to work with different musicians and still have the security of having that perfect time with old Guns. It's a nice position they have really, all things considered. a Reunion is another mountain of potential fail, but also it could be an awesome experience. The fans maybe don't see the pitfalls of it, having no steaks in it.

The way I see it:

- Axl and Slash had a special friendship that went deeper than Axl's and Duff's. They were brothers, each vital for the music of GN'R back then. Axl felt betrayed on a whole different level when Slash quit than when Duff did the same (and Duff lasted longer, only after the whole UYI lineup had disintegrated).

- Slash was always more opposed to Axl's ideas and music than Duff who was more okay with things and less rigid when it comes to different music styles. Duff was more open for change and new things and went along with Axl's ideas for the next record whereas Slash was much more confrontational, uncompromising and gradually left to do his own things. I believe there was a lot of disdain from Slash's side.

- The numerous lawsuits. If you have read the lawsuits and counter-lawsuits there is a lot of hostility that could cause years of bitterness and grudges - both ways. I can only conclude that the fact that Duff is back in the warmth suggests Slash was the one pushing or handling the lawsuits, and not Duff. Again, Duff comes across as a follower.

- Slash was more vocal about his problems with Axl and critical about him, also after the break-up, than Duff ever was. Not that Duff never said anything negative about Axl, everyone does (except perhaps Dizzy ;)), but there must be a reason for the Insane Clown Posse story ++ and there are Slash interviews post 1994 that may easily be interpreted as somewhat disdainful and mocking. And whereas Duff seems less assertive he comes across as much more mature than Slash and took the high horse way earlier than Slash.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of additional things which combines, with those above, are the reasons why Axl is so vehement about Slash and opposed to having anything more to do with him.

The usual hysterical cherry picking from the Slash haters.

The guy said himself the band saw themselves in the AC/DC vein until they wrote SCOM.

He never liked the song for years but admits his taste was obviously suspect.

And by the way, they were twenty something year old street rats when this happened, not librarians in a fucking university.

The "gay" comment was merely a jokey aside. The holier-than-thou defence of the homosexual community some of you dished out in return was misdirected and fucking ridiculous.

Why are some of you sooooo desperate to make something out of nothing with everything this guy says and does?

Despite the years of insane hatred from Axl, neither he nor his yes men have ever committed anything really clear in writing about WHAT SLASH DID for us all to read and discuss.

Fears of a slander suit maybe?

What else could Axl be pissed about except Slash didn't end up lying drunk in a gutter, thereby absolving Axl from all the public hate for grabbing GNR for himself.

He has never delivered anything else to prove otherwise and neither have any of you.

And to those of you above who think Axl expresses himself...give me a break. His in dept interviews have only been with Del in recent years, which has to mean they were heavily scripted and mulled over yet still almost unreadable.

I'd post one of those applause GIFs but I'm too lazy.

Excellent post.

I once watched an interesting video interview with Slash from years ago where he said he often takes an instant dislike to people ( and probably things/ ideas) but then sometimes changes his mind as things progress. I can't remember who he was talking about in the video, it was maybe Del or Dizzy or Baz. Anyway I think this is sort of how he rolls, it's probably rooted in a dislike of change or the unknown. It's possibly why he back tracks sometimes once he realises something isn't as bad as he first imagined.

The way I see it:

- Axl and Slash had a special friendship that went deeper than Axl's and Duff's. They were brothers, each vital for the music of GN'R back then. Axl felt betrayed on a whole different level when Slash quit than when Duff did the same (and Duff lasted longer, only after the whole UYI lineup had disintegrated).

- Slash was always more opposed to Axl's ideas and music than Duff who was more okay with things and less rigid when it comes to different music styles. Duff was more open for change and new things and went along with Axl's ideas for the next record whereas Slash was much more confrontational, uncompromising and gradually left to do his own things. I believe there was a lot of disdain from Slash's side.

- The numerous lawsuits. If you have read the lawsuits and counter-lawsuits there is a lot of hostility that could cause years of bitterness and grudges - both ways. I can only conclude that the fact that Duff is back in the warmth suggests Slash was the one pushing or handling the lawsuits, and not Duff. Again, Duff comes across as a follower.

- Slash was more vocal about his problems with Axl and critical about him, also after the break-up, than Duff ever was. Not that Duff never said anything negative about Axl, everyone does (except perhaps Dizzy ;)), but there must be a reason for the Insane Clown Posse story ++ and there are Slash interviews post 1994 that may easily be interpreted as somewhat disdainful and mocking. And whereas Duff seems less assertive he comes across as much more mature than Slash and took the high horse way earlier than Slash.

And I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of additional things which combines, with those above, are the reasons why Axl is so vehement about Slash and opposed to having anything more to do with him.

Most bands have conflicts in them, even the ones that get along great. Sometimes that tension can lead to greatness or it can lead to self-destruction.

Most songwriters have a war going on within themselves as much as they do with other people.

Axl seems to be the type to not want people figuring him out, so if people want to say he'll never reunite with Slash, he could change his mind in a year and not care what we think about it. I don't see him changing his mind, but I'm not trying to figure him out, just supporting what the band does and hopefully there will be more to come.

If not, that's fine, too, they're firmly planted in rock history anyway.

Hey Russel

I'm sure millionaire rock legend Slash is about as worried or interested in your posts as he is mine.

You can mock but what are you only another chump in the forum of a semi forgotten band like I am.

The joke is on us...really.

What's a chump, are you one?

Im not mocking Slash, he's doing a pretty good job by himself. He doesn't need my help.

And what's wrong with "wet my heart", pretty good track......................................................

Hey Russel

I'm sure millionaire rock legend Slash is about as worried or interested in your posts as he is mine.

You can mock but what are you only another chump in the forum of a semi forgotten band like I am.

Im not mocking Slash, he's doing a pretty good job by himself. He doesn't need my help.

And what's wrong with "wet my heart", pretty good track......................................................

That shit is ancient. , Laughable? Sure. But ancient.

Some people have a need to misunderstand things, so they can get offended and start a war of words with other people.

So true.

Twisting and misrepresenting things just so we can portray our personal favorite as a hero and the other guy as a zero.

Sad thing is I'm now seeing it in other topics. Some clowns are using the "gay" statement in other topics now to portray Sash as this huge evil homophobic guy. Trolling is trolling, regardless of who you are trolling. Some people don't understand that.

Bet he likes the money it made him and the money it still makes him.

What a loser!

I did read that when making AFD, Axl had to fight to have that song put on the album, because Slash didn't like it.

Was GNR's biggest cross over hit and is still one of their biggest songs to date.

Slash needs to stop acting like a 10 year old in his interviews.

What would you call somebody who takes a statement out of context, doesn't even listen to the actual statement and then starts spouting off things that aren't accurate and are full of anger and personal attacks?

Seriously? :blink:

I read the first three pages of this and couldn't get through any more. Did any of the people bashing Slash actually listen to the sound bite?

He was talking about the song in past tense. As in what he originally thought of it... which is consistent with just about everything he's said over the years. He hated SCOM at the start, the riff was just a silly thing he used to warm up that Axl picked up on, and it was different to the other material they'd been writing and playing at the time. At the time, he thought "an up-tempo ballad was the gayest thing you could write".

Since then, he's obviously grown proud of the song and sees it in a different light. The very next thing he said in that interview was "it's a great song, I'm not knocking it. It was just that at the time it didn't fit in with the rest of our schtick".

And just bringing this back to for all of those who might have missed it. Val - and all you who didn't actually listen to the actual conversation and just twisted one part and when on your rants, maybe you guys should actually listen to it.

Hey Russel

That shit is ancient. , Laughable? Sure. But ancient.

What shit? That track? is way newer than SCOM, the gayest thing you can write.

Lmfao @ that Paulina Rubio video, never seen it before. He really will do anything. Far cry from the Slash in late 80s, early 90s who hated media and attention etc etc. South Park was right, he's EVERYWHERE.

it's called promotion....you know what most normal musicians usually try to do to get people interested in their music ............ ;)

Lmfao @ that Paulina Rubio video, never seen it before. He really will do anything. Far cry from the Slash in late 80s, early 90s who hated media and attention etc etc. South Park was right, he's EVERYWHERE.

Wow who would have thought that a guitarist who likes playing music with other people actually talks about or plays music with other people? Shocker! ;)

Idk, the whole "he is everywhere" is very overblown, he is only everywhere if the only places you look are online GNR forums

Edited by WhazUp

If Slash thinks Sweet Child of mine is such a gay song, why does he continue to perform it live too?

Between the time from your last post to this post I take it you havent listened to the audio clip?

Slash was talking about his first initial thoughts back in 1986 when the song was proposed. Listen to the full clip for the context, he isn't calling the song gay now, nor does he say he currently hates the tune or was even close to hating it other than the initial point the tune was created

If Slash thinks Sweet Child of mine is such a gay song, why does he continue to perform it live too?

For once in your life, put your Slash hatred aside, and go listen to the actual clip. You are making yourself sound foolish.

Darkfarie so now it's a bad thing for a musician to do interviews before putting out an album? The logic on this forum is something alright.

This is actually an apt representation of what often happens in 21st century media, especially online: people strongly react to misrepresenting headlines rather than actually taking the time to listen to the original context of the quote.

Either that or people are just too logically deficient to understand when a person is talking in past tense. However one would think that 2nd grade would remedy that so I assume it is just lazy internet armchair reactionism

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

For once in your life, put your Slash hatred aside, and go listen to the actual clip. You are making yourself sound foolish.

It's not Val22, it's her son the one feeding the hatred.

Far cry from the Slash in late 80s, early 90s who hated media and attention etc etc.

Really? Guess it was someone else talking to the media and promoting Guns who just looked liked Slash.

My guess is, she will run away and never come back now that you have destroyed her nonsensical statement with facts.

Assuage the butthurt Axl fans, assuage it.