Slash calls 'Sweet Child o' Mine' the "gayest thing you can write"

I've always thought it was strange that Slash was "no ballads, no sound effects, no extra instruments", but both Snakepit albums (and the solo album, but less so for AL) have ballads, songs with keyboards and synths, and songs with sound effects and audio clips.

Maybe because he never said "no ballads" and it's a total fallacy perpetuated by those who want to try and prove he was the unreasonable guy in the split? Just like the crap about Slash only being interested in making Appetite 2.0, 3.0 and nothing but clone records. Of course, these are the same people salivating for CD 2 and CD 3. :tongue2:

Slash has always shined on ballads in and out of GNR. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the passion and care he puts into these songs(SCOM, Don't Cry, FTP, You Got No Right, Give In To Me, Streetchild, etc). What he began to resist in GNR was the increasing number of epic style ballads. Look at CD--even some of its biggest fans on the board have stated their biggest reservation with the album was too many ballads and not enough rockers. Neither would admit it, but Axl and Slash balanced each other out and it's part of the crazy chemistry they had.

High Voltage put it best. This is an inane thread that has little to do with what he actually says if you listen to the clip...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Yeah... thinking about it now it's actually a little gay. That's fair, I guess. I mean, it is an 80's power ballad. It doesn't get much gayer than this, I guess. But it's still a great song and I like it a lot, so horray! I'm gay as fuck!

Edited by Chewbacca

Yeah... thinking about it now it's actually a little gay. That's fair, I guess. I mean, it is an 80's power ballad. It doesn't get much gayer than this, I guess. But it's still a great song and I like it a lot, so horray! I'm gay as fuck!

GNR was seen as an authentic and welcomed departure from the cheesy hair bands of the early-mid 80's. SCOM was not only the poppiest track on the record(by a million miles), but the lyrics could've been viewed far differently on a less well constructed song. It's easy to arm chair quarterback and question Slash's past concerns now, but if you could go back in time to when the song was first going through its iterative phases and you're seeing the lyrics, how could you not give pause to how this would fit on the record?

It's cool when the involved musicians share their past insights like this. Would love to hear more...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

GNR was seen as an authentic and welcomed departure from the cheesy hair bands of the early-mid 80's. SCOM was not only the poppiest track on the record(by a million miles), but the lyrics could've been viewed far differently on a less well constructed song. It's easy to arm chair quarterback and question Slash's past concerns now, but if you could go back in time to when the song was first going through its iterative phases and you're seeing the lyrics, how could you not give pause to how this would fit on the record?

It's cool when the involved musicians share their past insights like this. Would love to hear more...

Slash didn't think Think About You fit on the record either. I think it's true under the heading AFD they don't really fit. It just seems strange to refer to it as gay/filler. NR was considered for AFD too but they held it back for the next one. Then when it came time they went to Axl said they weren't going to do NR and Estranged? Then Slash finally said no way to Seymour ballads. Seems like a pretty one-way street? Axl has said Slash only wanted to do songs about drugs and pain. Axl said it was always kind of a battle between Axl being in Slash's band or Slash being Axl's band. As fan looking from the outside you just wonder why they couldn't just help each other out?

It just blows my mind how many dense people there are on these forums. Never mind it's been well documented that Slash wasn't a big fan of SCOM back in the day. Some of you act like this is new information. The question asked of him was during his GnR days...... way back when was there a song he didn't like. If you listen to the interview and have even the slightest amount of intelligence you can understand what he's saying but nope. Not you people. Way too many people here lack the intelligence to comprehend what he's saying. You cherry pick one line from the answer and run with it out of context like a bunch of clowns just to trash a guy. I'm embarrassed for you people. "It's a great song but at the time....." Guess that's too hard for some of the simple minds to wrap their heads around.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

It's always hilarious to see a Slash sympathizer get mad and whine because he's not bright enough to understand what's going on. Especially when he spends his time pansy rocking out to chick tunes. Thanks for the laughs boner, you're the best.

Ha! Its very clear there's too many clueless zealots on this site who can't comprehend what a guy is saying. I always love how you try to deflect the topic over to another band I listen to instead of addressing the actual topic. Signs of an idiot who knows he's got nothing so he resorts to stupid comments about things completely irrelevant to whats being discussed.

Edited by Bono

It's always hilarious to see a Slash sympathizer get mad and whine because he's not bright enough to understand what's going on. Especially when he spends his time pansy rocking out to chick tunes. Thanks for the laughs boner, you're the best.

Ha! Its very clear there's too many clueless zealots on this site who can't comprehend what a guy is saying. I always love how you try to deflect the topic over to another I listen to instead of addressing the actual topic. Signs of an idiot who knows he's got nothing so he resorts to stupid comments about things completely irrelevant.

You're such an angry little girl. You should have that looked at.

Ha! Its very clear there's too many clueless zealots on this site who can't comprehend what a guy is saying. I always love how you try to deflect the topic over to another I listen to instead of addressing the actual topic. Signs of an idiot who knows he's got nothing so he resorts to stupid comments about things completely irrelevant.

How am I angry dude. I laugh my fucking ass off at zealots like you. No mind of your own just bow down to the almighty regardless. If you had an ounce of common sense you'd see how stupid you sound on a regular basis. But carry on. I'm angry and you're a manly man who's manhood is based on the music you listen to haha. Sounds like little big man syndrome to me.

Well, he did say their biggest hit was a gay/filler track, then played it for 20 years and then finally said actually it's really great, very lucrative song. forgive me if I've got a few queries.

I always thought it was their most accessible popular song (i.e. gay?), but I sort of knew what he meant about it being gay (i.e. a hit single) too. I just thought it was a weird thing to say in an interview, especially about the love song your leader singer wrote for his then girlfriend?

what if Axl said Jungle was great but he always saw it as a filler song with a cliched riff? but then today he says actually I always liked it and now recognize it's awesomeness. I've made a ton of cash of it being played at sports events. kudos to slash.

How am I angry dude. I laugh my fucking ass off at zealots like you. No mind of your own just bow down to the almighty regardless. If you had an ounce of common sense you'd see how stupid you sound on a regular basis. But carry on. I'm angry and you're a manly man who's manhood is based on the music you listen to haha. Sounds like little big man syndrome to me.

Wow, you suck almost as bad at insults as you do at defending your hero and understanding reality. Impressive.

OMG he said they did "schtick". Poser!!

Songs that are "crowd pleasers" are usually the ones bands dread to do because they're bored from playing it, and then it becomes more about the audience wanting to hear that song. I mean, Axl wrote that about someone who's been out of his life for almost 25 years.

Slash has said negative things about SCoM before - IIRC, there were comments made during the Appetite/Illusions heyday that it was written as a joke, a filler, et al. So it's in line with what Slash has said before, and if that's his opinion, whatever. I am sure he enjoys the royalties and all the doors that have opened due to the joke song...

...however, I do find it disappointing that the man is 48 going on 49 and he still feels the need to use the word "gay" as a pejorative term or a negative descriptor like some damn ignorant high school freshman. Surely with all his money he can buy himself a thesaurus and find some other synonyms for what he wants to say.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure "I want many dudes to stick their cocks in my arse and mouth while I watch a Richard Simmons work out tape and ride a unicorn over a rainbow" is the gayest thing you can write.

Either way, a 50 odd year old man using 'gay' as a pejorative? Christ.

Axl may be a bit washed up and out of shape, but Slash is washed up, out of shape and has a mental age of 7.

and anyway, how gay is a song in which a dude confesses love to his future-ex-wife? more like, a pedophile song, maybe? like that VR song "do it with the kids" ?

Way to accuse a guy who was molested as a kid of writing 'pedophile songs'. Classy shit.