Lets be honest....Axl can't sing anymore

Clean voice that we complain about isn't his normal low voice. It's Mickey Mouse, helium, Mr. Hankey voice that is so unbearable.

Didn'tyou know that life doesn't owe you your own persoanl happy ending.

Were you the homless person who asked pizza when Axl offered you soup?

Clean voice that we complain about isn't his normal low voice. It's Mickey Mouse, helium, Mr. Hankey voice that is so unbearable.

Didn'tyou know that life doesn't owe you your own persoanl happy ending.

Were you the homless person who asked pizza when Axl offered you soup?

I call bullshit that Axl voluntarily offered to part ways with food. :lol:

That's what I said in my post:

As weird as it sounds I think he found the rasp "easier" than the mid-range clean voice needed for some songs. Not that I'm saying he has it now, now he goes for high Mickey for what should be clean mid-range.

I haven't read any of this thread, but i'm guessing there's a few posts like this one.

While I do much, much, much prefer Axl's voice with as much rasp as possible, to say he can't sing is just so wrong. You clearly have absolutely no clue what you're talking about if you think he can't sing. No rasp, yes, might not be to your liking, yes, but can't sing? Seems to be hitting every single note to me.

Edited by OJones90

As weird as it sounds I think he found the rasp "easier" than the mid-range clean voice needed for some songs. Not that I'm saying he has it now, now he goes for high Mickey for what should be clean mid-range.

I guess I'm not fully understanding what falls under "clean" the way you're discussing it.

I guess I'm not fully understanding what falls under "clean" the way you're discussing it.

I think he means Axl should be using his clean chest voice but instead uses his falsetto instead.

• Like 1

In the demo vids I posted, he sings clean on the verses with rasp on the choruses, but it's not the post '01 Mickey.

You very rarely hear it live, but I think the Taipei debut of TIL was a good example:

Clean on the verses, high raspy on the choruses. He warbles a bit at the end but generally I think it's one of the best performances of the song. But it seems he doesn't have confidence and/or ability with this voice and either goes for full raspy like in '10 or high Mickey like from '11 on.

It's a shame that DJ's attempt at Finck's solo is godawful :no:

In the demo vids I posted, he sings clean on the verses with rasp on the choruses, but it's not the post '01 Mickey.

You very rarely hear it live, but I think the Taipei debut of TIL was a good example:

Clean on the verses, high raspy on the choruses. He warbles a bit at the end but generally I think it's one of the best performances of the song. But it seems he doesn't have confidence and/or ability with this voice and either goes for full raspy like in '10 or high Mickey like from '11 on.

It's a weird rendition of TIL they did at Taipei. The key is lower yet Axl seems to go higher on certain places.. I like it though, it's right in his vocal sweet spot.

It's a weird rendition of TIL they did at Taipei. The key is lower yet Axl seems to go higher on certain places.. I like it though, it's right in his vocal sweet spot.

Yeah, the weirdness gives it this almost otherworldly quality, it really is something special, shame Ashba had to ruin everything :lol: Seriously, the guy mentioned before the tour how the TIL solo was his favourite thing to play and he comes out with that???!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, the weirdness gives it this almost otherworldly quality, it really is something special, shame Ashba had to ruin everything :lol: Seriously, the guy mentioned before the tour how the TIL solo was his favourite thing to play and he comes out with that???!!!

Yeah.. it would have been perfect, literally perfect, if Robin had still been there to play the solo in the right fucking key! lol

Yeah.. it would have been perfect, literally perfect, if Robin had still been there to play the solo in the right fucking key! lol

I was just listening to it and thinking how epic it would have been with not only Finck on guitar, but a string section or even a full orchestra as well. I remember in '09 there was an interview with some orchestral musician who said he was hired to play for the upcoming GNR tour, maybe it was cut for budget reasons.

That TIL solo is atrocious. Words cannot express how awful it is.

Me at the time: "Oh... well, it's the new guy's first show, I'm sure he'll get it right after a while."

One year later: :(

Can't imagine how heartbreaking it must have been for Finck to sit backstage at the Hollywood 2012 show and have to hear his solo neutered and stripped of all passion.

• Like 1

I haven't read any of this thread, but i'm guessing there's a few posts like this one.

While I do much, much, much prefer Axl's voice with as much rasp as possible, to say he can't sing is just so wrong. You clearly have absolutely no clue what you're talking about if you think he can't sing. No rasp, yes, might not be to your liking, yes, but can't sing? Seems to be hitting every single note to me.

axl sounds terrible, even if he is hitting the notes. it's just awful. Edited by Mao5

Better than Meatloaf :-)

Poor Meat. He actually has had many recent videos of him on Youtube taken down and he got in a flame war commenting on one of them against people who were saying his voice was completely shot. He said 'ask my vocal coach how shot my voice is...I cover X octaves in my warm-ups alone.' He then went into an elaborate explanation for his tune-less, tone-less singing of late saying that when he sings the song he imagines them playing out in his head like a movie and his voice is the soundtrack which he has no control over because he goes into a trance XD

I love the Loaf. Sure Bat Out of Hell 3 was mis-titled, but overall he's my second favorite vocalist of all time. Some of his newer recordings don't sound bad, it's kind of like Axl... He can't do what he used to do for whatever reason. I first saw meat in 94 when I was in the fifth grade. Bat out of hell 2 tour = amazing. He still had an 'it' quality to his voice, it wasn't like the 70's but it was still amazing.

By the same token Axl in 2006 / 2010 had the 'it' factor. It wasn't the same, but it was damn amazing. But at least Axl has that range, even tho he sounds like a cartoon mouse, and Axl is usually on key. But they are both out of breath and neither can come close to what they used to do. But at least Axl still has good timing.

Yes. Poor Meat :(. He said Jim and him are gonna work together again. I'm hoping for some studio magic from both Meat and the Ax man.

Edited by War2k14

Better than Meatloaf :-)

Poor Meat. He actually has had many recent videos of him on Youtube taken down and he got in a flame war commenting on one of them against people who were saying his voice was completely shot. He said 'ask my vocal coach how shot my voice is...I cover X octaves in my warm-ups alone.' He then went into an elaborate explanation for his tune-less, tone-less singing of late saying that when he sings the song he imagines them playing out in his head like a movie and his voice is the soundtrack which he has no control over because he goes into a trance XD

I love the Loaf. Sure Bat Out of Hell 3 was mis-titled, but overall he's my second favorite vocalist of all time. Some of his newer recordings don't sound bad, it's kind of like Axl... He can't do what he used to do for whatever reason. I first saw meat in 94 when I was in the fifth grade. Bat out of hell 2 tour = amazing. He still had an 'it' quality to his voice, it wasn't like the 70's but it was still amazing.

By the same token Axl in 2006 / 2010 had the 'it' factor. It wasn't the same, but it was damn amazing. But at least Axl has that range, even tho he sounds like a cartoon mouse, and Axl is usually on key. But they are both out of breath and neither can come close to what they used to do. But at least Axl still has good timing.

Yes. Poor Meat :(. He said Jim and him are gonna work together again. I'm hoping for some studio magic from both Meat and the Ax man.

I don't think it's really an accurate comparison at all if we're gonna be specific, though. Meat has had very well documented problems with his voice going back to the first Bat tour and the last time he could really sing was 2004 (my favourite version of Bat ever is from the 2004 Sydney orchestra show). I think Meat's decline if you listen to each record and tour since then in very much a physical decline due to age and damage and whilst diet, coaching and exercise would have helped, it was never going to happen: he's notoriously frail and sick and quite resigned to his condition.

Axl, on the other hand, absolutely fucking killed it in the studio in 2008 on Stuck Inside and in c. 2010 on New This I Love where he sounded more like Illusions Axl than he did on Chinese!

I've already written some fat post in this thread already about Axl's vocal style being a choice so i'm not gonna repeat myself for the 20th time until the next voice thread. Suffice to say that when watching the 2002 VMAs any casual viewer thought his voice was shot not knowing he's sounded much better in Europe that summer and would sound even better in the states that fall, let alone what he'd do in 2006 and 2010.

Axl's 'it' factor increases x100 when he takes of all his bloody clobber and gets into it. The change in performance style and clothing/hats/glasses goes hand in hand with the change in voice.

I really wish the rasp would come back. But to say this is a man who can't sing, or that this is "shit" is simply insane.

His voice does not crack on this tour. While mostly clean, he hits every single note, and with good power. Now I'd obviously rather see him put some drive into it, but still, this is far from a shit singer.

That's right, and this o so recent version of TIL proves the obvious, but clearly needs saying anyway. He can still sing great, when conditions are right, period. When he's warmed up and didn't do a show last night (and many other factors that will surely affect any 50 year old guy who has to sing high octave range) he's spot on. So yeah, he can sign and sounds fantastic as always when he's on, but oh be the wrath for a bad show. Or a bad intro (fire DJ) or a why do I even post here at all post (why do we support this band) I mean the place is rife with so much trash it's depressing to even look at it, cheer the fuck up guys, he still plays live, enjoy it while ya can! Unreal.

Back on topic, yeah he can still sing.

• Like 1

I wonder how all the people who say he can't sing at all characterizes their own voices. Can they sing as good as in the video above, and if not, what words would they use to describe their own voices when they characterize a good voice as "shit"?

Completely irrelevant to the discussion. Would be better to compare Axl to other rock singers. But I'll play along... My voice is shit, a lot worse than Axl's. Still doesn't make Axl's voice good. :shrugs: