The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

^This scares me :unsure: I hope it's not gonna be like an exam.

It's hard to tell what it's going to be like, I don't know if they usually do phone interviews or if it's just because I'm on a different continent :P

Oh, maybe. I've had to do that too as it was the only option. But really, keep that internet available. And have some questions ready. I'm always more impressed if the interviewee is inquisitive. The best interviews feel more like conversations.

^This scares me :unsure: I hope it's not gonna be like an exam.

It's hard to tell what it's going to be like, I don't know if they usually do phone interviews or if it's just because I'm on a different continent :P

Oh, maybe. I've had to do that too as it was the only option. But really, keep that internet available. And have some questions ready. I'm always more impressed if the interviewee is inquisitive. The best interviews feel more like conversations.

Well that's good cause I have lots of questions :lol: If I'm moving trans-atlantic for a job, I want to make sure I have as much info as possible first.

i've always wanted to walk into an interview and ask, "why exactly

should i even consider working for you?"....

I wouldn't go that far, but your point is 100% on.

People need to be positive and confident enough in their skills to realize THEY are an asset. Just because you applied for a job doesn't mean you are begging and desperate for it.

I like it when I'm interviewing somebody and they ask a lot of questions and we BOTH figure out if we'd be a good fit for each other.

Today I have applied for two jobs.

Also a recruiter contacted me as he has a role in the BBC jn Salford to fill. I mentioned this to Mr Guns who got all excited about Manchester.

Maybe I should look for Manchester jobs instead. No need to move, and although I won't have friends and family close by, we'll have each other. If we ever want to buy a house, house prices are ten a penny up here too.

• Like 2

The conversation moved on from that. We've settled on Lancaster as a fresh start. He can commute to Manchester, and I can find a job in Lancaster. We can live by the sea and it's very similar to York in many ways, just without our families or friends nearby. Manchester's nice but it's far too busy for my liking, not a place that I'd want to raise the seven Von Guns children.

Mr has said that he'll follow me. I'll keep applying to York and Leeds positions, but look out for Lancaster ones too. Hopefully it'll happen. :)

Manchester's nice but it's far too busy for my liking, not a place that I'd want to raise the seven Von Guns children.

The fact that it's busy is one of the things I love most about it. You'd have to drag me in chains to get me to move somewhere quieter again.

Guest Len B'stard

Just landed at Luton. Interview tomorrow and assessment centre on friday. Shit...

I was born there :)

At the assessment centre?

In a test tube in a brighly lit room with government agents with clipboards standing around with furrowed brows :lol:

Just landed at Luton. Interview tomorrow and assessment centre on friday. Shit...

As was Stacey Dooley. Do you know her ?

Yes, of course, all the lads remember Stacey, honestly, the things she'd do for a bag of grapes and the bus fare home!

Yes, of course, all the lads remember Stacey, honestly, the things she'd do for a bag of grapes and the bus fare home!

I actually saw her program about Luton last week, muslim extremists and EDL and all that. I will watch it again and try to spot you :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

I actually saw her program about Luton last week, muslim extremists and EDL and all that. I will watch it again and try to spot you :lol:

Lemme give you an abbreviated version of EDL in Luton, bunch of pissed up fannys givin' it, come to Bury Park and get fuckin' dealt with, standard, they don't wannabe walking around Luton after the suns gone down, they'll get fuckin' eaten. Lennons left the EDL now. Amazing what a slip of paper with the address of your little girls school written on it can do eh? :lol:

Apparently he's all into peace and 'working together' now, fuck offfffff :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

No, they're right, it is a shithole...good motorway access which is always handy...so you can get the fuck out of there ASAP :lol:

Yeah, it didn't look very appealing to me. That Lennon guy actually said his wife didn't agree with the EDL and that the police had told his wife and kids to get the fuck out, because their life was in danger. Looks like he listened to the mrs ;)

On topic: Best of luck today and tomorrow, GivenToFly!

So I have spent the last 6 months applying to jobs in Yorkshire. I managed to get one interview in January, but nothing at all since then, not even a receipt of application.

Last night I sent a few vacancy enquiries to some Lancastrian studios, and within 12 hours had a response saying "I love your work and will be in touch when we next have an opening". Maybe, just maybe, this Lancaster idea wasn't such a bad one after all! ;)

I think the interview went well :)

Because of the visa stuff, it would be next October before I'd be able to start work in the US, but the interviewer is sending me over more info about the company and she wants me to get back in touch nearer the time to talk about positions they have available then and to sort out the visa application.

• Like 1