The job hunting thread

GivenToFly

I didn't get the Stirling job.

The head vet called and said they had some really experienced people come for interview so they had to go with one of them. He said they were super impressed with me and that I would have no problems finding a job, and the girl who's leaving is starting her own practice and looking for a part-time vet so he's passing on my details to her in case that's something that I might want to do temporarily. I still have this interview in Birmingham next week too so here's hoping.

In your next interview, be sure and mention the Mygnrforum awards that you won last year!

ZoSo, just apply for jobs, wherever they'll take you. Start now if you can give it the time. :)

What kind of profession are you looking to get into?

I just am finishing a BA in Psychology from MSU. I still don't know exactly what I one day want to do. I am thinking of one day going back to school for Speech Pathology

For right now, though, I need a job that will help with my resume and give me enough to live off of. I am having major issues with my family and really don't want to move back home.

Is it okay to ask to think over a job offer?

Of course it is. A job offer is typically the first time you are acquainted with important aspects of the job (like compensations), so considering it carefully is not wrong at all. And if you want to negotiate the terms having announced you need to think it through only helps your position.

And congrats on the offer :) What kind of job is it?

No disrespect SoulMonster, but I think now the time of my life to keep my personal life from the forums.

I think it will be demanding work, but I will be making no less than 48k. My biggest concern is healthcare. I am not sure whether I am able to go through the state or go through the company. A lot of the lingo is confusing and goes over my head. I am also concerned about vacation days.

I guess I just don't know who to trust as a cynical person, and I am afraid I will get shafted.

No disrespect SoulMonster, but I think now the time of my life to keep my personal life from the forums.

I think it will be demanding work, but I will be making no less than 48k. My biggest concern is healthcare. I am not sure whether I am able to go through the state or go through the company. A lot of the lingo is confusing and goes over my head. I am also concerned about vacation days.

I guess I just don't know who to trust as a cynical person, and I am afraid I will get shafted.

50 grand for a kid who just graduated from college..........I guess that degree isn't so meaningless after all.

Congrats Nate. I hope you end up enjoying the job and that it gives you some real purpose and happiness in life.

I'm happy for you!

Likes aren't suggestions dammit.

Okay then, fly somewhere, go somewhere warm, enjoy yourself, get hammered if you really want to, but just enjoy some time off before you start work. When do you start ? Is your work near where you studied or near your parents ? I don't know if it's hard to find a good place to live over there...

Oh, and congrats!

Jesus, how the fuck did you get a job that pays that? Help me I am getting so scared =/

And congrats!

EDIT- And fly somewhere, go on a trip. DO IT

Honestly it's being honest with people.

I went into the interview telling myself I wasn't going to get the job. It lessoned the blow because my stress levels subside. I also make sure I looked presentable and wore the proper attire, but most importantly, I told them the truth. I didn't bullshit with anyone.

I told them I was fresh out of school with limited to no experience. They asked me if I knew anything about some things, and I wasn't afraid to say no. I was upfront and told them my expectations, and that was basically not to be thrown into the fire. I did tell them though that the more I know, the more I can contribute.

I am hoping they understand that. It's my first 'big boy' job and I am more frightened than excited.

Jesus, how the fuck did you get a job that pays that? Help me I am getting so scared =/

And congrats!

I went into the interview telling myself I wasn't going to get the job. It lessoned the blow because my stress levels subside. I also make sure I looked presentable and wore the proper attire, but most importantly, I told them the truth. I didn't bullshit with anyone.

I told them I was fresh out of school with limited to no experience. They asked me if I knew anything about some things, and I wasn't afraid to say no. I was upfront and told them my expectations, and that was basically not to be thrown into the fire. I did tell them though that the more I know, the more I can contribute.

I am hoping they understand that. It's my first 'big boy' job and I am more frightened than excited.

I got praised in my last interview for being honest. Didn't get it...

I'll keep trying. And seriously man, this is really great. Its a job, if you do what you can you are going to be great.

And congrats!

I'm starting my first full time job (and the first job where I don't work mostly on ym own) next month and I'm a bit nervous too, especially considering that what I will be doing only partially overlaps with what I studied in university.

Congratulations by the way!

Ok, so I made three applications to jobs of different levels of responsibility down South. Have been offered interviews for all of them. Turned the first two down, but am going to the third as it's the job I wanted the most.

Not that I really wanted any of them, with the location they're in. Going anyway to see what it's like.

Was on my way to Soho tonight for work when I got a call saying 'don't come in tonight, come in tomorrow'....

Also tonight, I got an interview (another one, this time at a Caribbean restaurant in my neighbourhood close to my home). So, fingers crossed I get that; They want a customer service person to serve food and said they'd train me in Caribbean food so I'd know what to serve.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Congrats Arnold!

I've just been invited for another interview, in Doncaster :)

As glamorous as the States :lol:

50 grand for a kid who just graduated from college..........I guess that degree isn't so meaningless after all.

Congrats Nate. I hope you end up enjoying the job and that it gives you some real purpose and happiness in life.

I'm happy for you!

Proud we made him stick at it!

My mates from back in the day in Croydon, 'The Stoners', are working now and one of them's gone to Download this year - I rang this guy I work in London with to see if he's coming in this week and he says he's out of town, in Derby till Monday. Then I found out in that conversation that he's working at Download... I had literally not thought of that as an option and; still want to go; I figure I'd apply next year, now I that know where and when / how to.- He said he got the job because he worked there last year and the interview for that was in London and they asked him if he wanted to work at Download and sent him to Derby.

Edited by Snake-Pit